What a Day to be Castellated and Capped! (Jefferson Traverse: 01-Aug-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
For this summer (thus far), it has been a challenge to find a day where the forecast didn’t include rain and/or overcast conditions. One of those rare days finally presented itself this Saturday. And so, it was decided to make the most of it by spending a long day in the Presidentials by doing a traverse of Mt. Jefferson (up the Castle Trail, and down the Caps Ridge Trail.)

Participating in this trek were Zman and me, plus Zman’s friend & colleague whose name is Grant (although tempting, he shall not be dubbed Gman)!

Our trek got off to a good start. The crossing of the Israel River involved some rock hopping but was very doable.
IMG_0820.jpg

There was still a lot of mist in the air as we started our climb, which we hoped would clear by the time we reached the higher elevations.
100_2476.JPG

It was a busy day on the Castle Trail. Lots of fellow hikers were out enjoying the fine day. And as we would occasionally look back to where we had been, we could see that things were clearing out nicely at the lower elevations.
100_2486.JPG

As we continued to climb higher, we could see huge patches of Diapensia in full bloom. At a quick glance, it could almost be mistaken for patches of light snow. The photo below doesn’t nearly do justice to the complete vista we witnessed.
100_2492.JPG

Along the way we bumped into two other VFTT folks. It was Wowser and P2Piper who were hiking to Jefferson to complete their dog’s final Presidential peak as part of the quest to eventually have them complete all the 4K peaks. (Not sure, but I think Wowser & P2Piper have already completed theirs.)
100_2513.JPG

Also, we were delighted that we could enable Wowser, P2Piper (and doggies) to do the same traverse as us by providing them with a ride from the Caps Ridge trailhead to the trailhead at Bowman.

By the time we reached Mt. Jefferson, things had cleared out and we had views! Since all of us have seen tons of photos taken from the high peaks in the Presidential Range, I’ll only bore you with one photo of Mt. Adams.
100_2514.JPG

It was delightful to spend an hour or so just lingering around the summit of Jefferson. It was warm, sunny and very little wind. But all good things must come to an end, and so we eventually had to pack up our gear and start heading down the Caps Ridge Trail.

As we were descending along this trail, it was so awesome to look over to our right and see the castellated ridge that we had climbed on our ascent of Jefferson.
100_2529.JPG

So, although being “castellated and capped” might possibly sound like it could be a painful or unpleasant experience. Trust me, it isn’t, at least not on day like the one we had for our traverse of Mt. Jefferson.

1HappyHiker

flower comment

Nice. Actually, the white flower in clumps is undoubtedly mountain sandwort (Arenaria groenlandica). Diapensia blooms much earlier in the year, frequently while there is still snow on the ground. It would be very unusual for it to be still blooming in early August. There was a lot of the Arenaria in bloom on the north side of Lafayette yesterday too.

Nice. Actually, the white flower in clumps is undoubtedly mountain sandwort (Arenaria groenlandica). Diapensia blooms much earlier in the year, frequently while there is still snow on the ground. It would be very unusual for it to be still blooming in early August. There was a lot of the Arenaria in bloom on the north side of Lafayette yesterday too.
Aha! Thanks for the correction! (With a screen-name of Diapensia, how could you be wrong?:))

My skills at flower identification are pretty poor (obviously!).:eek:
I based my misidentification upon what I was told by a hiker that I met along the way.

Last edited:
Nice hike! I miss Jefferson -- that's one of my favorite hikes, and I haven't done it yet this year. Love your pictures, makes me feel as though I am there. :)

Castle Ridge is yet another that has been on my list of to-do's for a little while now. I came close to doing it with Sunshine Chris, Davebears sister-in-law, but the water crossing turned us off (it had rained heavily the night before) and the fact it was socked in as well. Thanks for a preview of what is to come!

Brian

1HappyHiker, ZMan and Grant - your presence on the mountain yesterday was a gift to me. Thanks for the company and the Imodium and the ride back to the Castle Trailhead - there they were, the keys in the ignition, and the car unlocked and everything was still there. Whooo HOOO! Feeling better today, although tired. The Imodium did the trick. One of the hardest hike days I've ever experienced. Thank you all again for your kindness. Wowser and I will PAY IT FORWARD.

Pat

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Trish & Mark, thanks for your kind remarks.:)

Brian, when you’re making your plans for doing the Castle Trail, you might want to also consider a variation of the hike we did. Take a look at the hike done by Tim (Bikehikeskifish) which also involved the Castle Trail. (Click HERE for link.):cool:

Pat & Nancy, it was fun chatting with you along the trail. And Pat, it’s wonderful to hear that you’re feeling better. The Castle Trail and Caps Ridge are challenging enough without throwing in some GI discomfort to boot!:(

Wonderful pictures and report, John! The Castle Trail is one of my absolute favorites... I actually just (as in one week ago) officially adopted the 2.6 miles from the Link junction up to the summit of Jefferson. :)

Great stuff, John!

I love both of those trails, though I haven't done them together. Must have been awesome!

I was on that trip with Tim, we had a great day!

KDT

Larisa, that is so weird!! On Saturday, when I was hiking the section of trail that you just adopted, I was wondering who the lucky trail adopter was. Wow . . . what a lovely spot to do trail work.

Since I already have several adopted trails of my own, I wouldn’t want to commit to anything definite. However, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you’re getting a work crew together. If I’m available, I’d be happy to lend a hand.

Kevin, I do recall reading that you were on that trip with Tim. The route you guys took looks like something I’ll need to add to my list!

Great photos as always, John - I love the Castelated Ridge! Next time you are up that way, you should try the "quick run" over to Emerald Bluff! :D