What age a puppy can hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
What age a puppy can hike mountains?

Thinking ahead, I'm looking forward to 4 to 7 mile non-High Peak Adk mountain hikes with our new 13 week-old Yellow Lab. I have conflicting data from the vet, books, etc. on the safe age to start bringing a dog on mountain hikes-anywhere from 8 months to 2 years old. Apparently at too young an age, stress on still-developing joints could lead to permanent hip problems. Any knowledge on this appreciated.

Last edited:
i was told 12 months by a vet for my lab/shepherd crosses.

your milage may vary.

I was told approximately 1 yr for my boy, Casey, now a 4 1/2 year old 98lb black lab. At least for the more stressful hikes.

I started him off small when he was younger, about 15 weeks. Did a few short hikes with Casey's buddy, Melvin, possibly a boxer/pit bull/rhodesian ridgeback and Melvin's dad. The dogs are only a couple of days apart in age and mostly ran around playing with each other every time we went out. In the span of a 1-2 mile hike, they probably did 3-4 miles total from all the running back and forth.

I was given this little table as a guideline by my friend who received it from a vet...

easier stuff(1-3 miles) after 8 months
harder stuff (3-5 miles) after a year
full day hikes (5+ miles) after 15-18 months and some experience with easier hikes

Of course it totally depends on the dog and the difficulty of the terrain.

- Greg

Last edited:
Limiting a pup to shorter hikes is definitely a good idea.

Although smaller dogs tend to mature more quickly, most sizes of dogs are not yet physically mature until at least 12 months of age. Large and giant breeds may be physically immature until 2 to 3 years of age. Generally, the larger the dog, the longer it takes them to mature. Labs are typically considered a large breed.

Until they are physically mature, there can be a lot of stuff going on orthopedically, even for an older pup. The growth plates probably aren't closed yet, the skeleton isn't quite done developing, and muscles haven't matured. Like human teenagers, they may be clumsy because proprioception can't quite keep up with their changing bodies.

These are the guidelines I try to follow when bringing along a young hiker dog. My experience and research lies with the giants, specifically livestock guardian dogs, which are among the smaller of the giant breeds.

0-6 mos.: no formal exercise. Lots of play, foundation for training. Avoid slippery floors (strains young joints) and jumping off things (too high impact).

6 mos. - 12 mos.: Light exercise, in the 1-5 mile/day range broken into twice daily walks, terrain ranging from easy to medium. The longer the mileage, the easier the terrain. Although some running may occur, regular trail running is to be avoided because it is too high impact.

1-2 yrs: light exercise, up to 10 miles broken into twice daily outings, again, higher mileage requiring easier overall terrain. Running with the dog at a working trot can occur, but no more than 1-2 miles at a time.

2-3 yrs: up to 15 miles over any terrain. May occur in one outing, reduce mileage for more difficult terrain. Running can begin regularly, no more than 2 miles/day.

3-4 yrs: up to 20 miles over any terrain. Running can be increased to no more than 5 miles every other day.

>5: Let the dog set limits - some dogs will happily do +30's, others are naturally couch potatoes.

Although I try to keep terrain easier overall for a younger dog, this is definitely the time to start introducing them to difficult terrain in short stretches. Just like socialization and training, they need to learn what steep slopes are and how to do rocky scrambles. The trick is to keep these difficulties very short and very positive for the dog.

I know, this sounds like a limiting schedule but... for big dogs, soundness is everything. If you stress them too much at too young an age, they may end up paying for it with decreased mobility as they age. Thankfully none of mine have been diagnosed with dysplacia, arthritis, or other orthopedic diseases. It's impossible to say whether this is due to my caution and/or other factors.

Only one of my dogs has been diagnosed with an injury. Dugan four-legs was recently diagnosed with a partial tear to the ACL in his right stifle. As far as I'm aware, this injury did not occur on a hike or run.

Apologies - stepping off soap box now.

Start "hiking" at any time. A walk in the woods sure seems like a hike to most dogs. I started 6-8 mi R/T trips at six months (where I was told it was OK). Now, this was summer time.

Seems many of the above posts say to push it out longer than I did and was told. Maybe a contributing factor to dysplasia she later experienced? :confused: :(

That's great that you have a new 4 legged companion for hiking. I can tell you from hiking with our labs (which are both members of the NH4k club) that they are not physically able to do long hikes for 10 -12 months. They will tell you if they can't go any further, try not to ignore this if it happens, because they usually don't complain until it's too late. Then you get to carry them. We tried to bring Sadie hiking on Garfield when she was 5 months and she made it 1/2 mile before we had to carry her. By the time winter went by and she was 11 months old she had no problems whatsoever. We took Summit (our other lab) up Chocoura when she was 12 weeks old and camped up there, but we knew we would have to carry her the whole way. It was kind of comical seeing a puppy on the summit, it was also a pain in the a** carrying her. I think my arms were more tired then my legs after that one. I also know that some people will say wait until they are older for fear of joint problems, but if both parents of your pup are OFA certified he will be fine at 10-12 months for hiking longer distance, provided he is conditioned properly.

summit1 said:
if both parents of your pup are OFA certified he will be fine at 10-12 months for hiking longer distance, provided he is conditioned properly.

OFA is another topic entirely. The exam is an attempt to measure the laxity of a dog's hip joints (how well the femur seats into the hip socket). This measurement is supposed to predict whether the dog is likely to develop hip dysplacia. Another such method of measurement is the PennHip exam.

As far as I'm aware, neither method has been firmly proved to be superior, nor is either thought to be an entirely accurate predictor. There are dogs with an OFA rating of "poor" that never develop the symptoms of dysplacia. An OFA rating of "excellent" is not a guarantee that a dog cannot develop dysplacia. In addition, the causes of dysplacia remain unknown. It's thought that genetics and activity both play a factor.

Regardless of hips, dysplacia can also develop in the elbows.
Regardless of dysplacia, damage to due arthritis can develop in any joint.

I don't mean this to be criticism of OFA or PennHip. The last time I evaluated breeders with an eye to buying a pup, I was down to selecting between two. The deciding factor was that the one I chose had never included any dogs with an OFA rating below "good" (most were "excellent") in her breeding program.

Just realize that OFA ratings, no matter how many generations back they go, are not a guarantee, and that orthopedic issues range far beyond hip dysplacia.

Last edited:
From the breeder(field strain dogs) who has our 14 month old Lab's parents and do all the hip and elbow tests: About a year for modest hikes, 18 months for longer ones.
From our 2 vets, one of whom has 2 Labs: The growth plates start closing around a year. Take it very easy up to then, and sloooooowly add distance as they get closer to 18 months.

From the breeder and the vet: The worst thing you can do until they are 18 months is mountain hiking where the dog is jumping DOWN from a height talled than they are at the shoulders. Ruins their elbows and hurts their hips.
Letting them fly downhill at a fast pace accelerates the danger. I was advised to leash our pup on the downhills and assist her down the steep spots so she isn't jumping.
A few times isn't the issue, its the repetive jumping down that hurts them. The vets said the hardest thing to do is for hikers to wait out the proper amount of time and resist the temptation to let a young dog do something more than it should just because it can.

my own two cents

My two year old pound pup just had his second knee surgery. First was an ACL, second was removal of a torn meniscus (sp?). He's confined to short walks on a leash for 12 weeks. I started hiking him at 3 months. No way to know, really, when the injuries occured, but I wish I'd have taken it easier on him. I hope his repair is successful. Right now I've got a great dog who can't go on hikes and it breaks my heart.

I've been researching ligament injuries of the stifle joint recently because my dog was diagnosed with a slight tear to his right stifle ACL two weeks ago.

Although such injuries can be due to a particular event - like hiking - they can also be due to degeneration of the ligament tissue. Often the meniscus is damaged as well.

BoomBloom:
I've learned that arthritis often develops in the joint that had surgery, and also often that the other stifle will require surgery later. The second stifle seems to be due to improper rehab - the dog continues over-using the good leg because it doesn't learn to trust the repaired knee again. I've read of two things that can help mitigate these issues: start them on Cosequin as soon as you have the diagnosis, and make sure the post surgical rehab is careful and thorough. Good luck with your pup.

I just bought a English Plott Hound and was really excited to start hiking with her (Buddy). She is 14 weeks and I have taken her to Frankenstein Cliff a couple of time while I ice climbed and tied her down at the bottom instead of leaving her alone at home or in the truck. It took her a while to get used to it and after fighting the leash she finally settled down on her blanket. It did bother me seeing her trying to get free of the leash, and then barking and yelping. So my question is; is it better to leave them at home, leave them in the truck, or will she get used to being at the bottom of the cliff tied up. Any thoughts???? Thanks .....Jim

Pay very, very close attention to what Dugan and Peakbagr say; they have covered the ground with their posts.

SAR dogs aren't physically ready for the work until they're pushing 18 months or more. I see no reason to treat a future mountain hiking dog differently. Yes, you might be able to get ready a little sooner with a smaller dog, but not many months.

Some people might think I'm a wuss if they ever saw me unload my dogs from the back of a truck by lifting them down. But then I care far more about their joint health than I do about my rep. Watch some slow-motion film of a dog jumping down sometime and you'll understand why. Hurdling a downed log or similar obstacle is natural for a dog, but jumping down from a height is best left to cougars, not dogs.

I too respect information shared by Dugan and Peakbagr when it comes to caring for our dog friends. I started my dog Carmen out on flat, short outings when she was a pup. I used a halter rather than a collar (mostly she was off leash, though) until she was about a year old--and went through four adjustable halters in the process. She can easily do 20 mile outings now at 7 years young......

Sardog...I have a truck that is quite high up off the ground....Carmen gets an assist from me when alighting...after an especially long hike and and sitting curled in a seat for the couple of hours ride home, I pretty much lift all of her weight while she's getting out....I agree, frig the reputation!!

JF...I commend you for having feelings about your pup's distress while rock climbing. Just like young kids, pups need to feel a sense of security provided by you...though I usually take my dog everywhere I go (and leave her in the truck while running errands) I personally think that 14 weeks is quite young to subject a pup to that kind of separation--being tethered and watching you leave her while you're still in eyesight can be traumatic....Plott hounds are such beautiful strong dogs....good luck!!

...Jade

My Forester is not as large a drop as a truck. Dugan gets an assist up because he's trained me so well. I typically let him get out on his own because with his length of leg, there isn't much drop. As he gets older, he'll get an assist out too.

If you aren't capable of helping your dog up or down off of high objects, there are light weight ramps and stepping blocks.

Tying a dog out... I'll try really hard to keep this in the realm of hiker rather than dog:
I strongly disagree with this as a dog management solution at home. However, when hiking, it can be helpful. I've left Dugan four-legs tied to my pack a few times while stepping off trail for a quick break. Tying a dog while you climb brings up other issues. I'm assuming this occurs for a longer period. As such, be careful to tether your dog in a method to minimize the possibility of hurting itself, and use a safety collar or harness. Above all, ensure that there are other people in the vicinity that could help your dog in the event that you get hurt or stuck during the climb.

Tying - an alternative

If Frankenstein Cliffs isn't much of a walk in, you could consider using an ex-pen instead of tying. You will still to take the time to help your dog become accustomed to it.

An ex-pen is a portable miniature kennel. It's a very good tool if you intend to travel with your dog.

Here's a link from one dog supply company. If you google, there's a lot of places that carry them.
http://www.cherrybrook.com/store/SearchResults.aspx?CategoryID=723&viewmode=normal

Too heavy for hiking but excellent at a campground!

I'm resurrecting this thread as we hope to have a lab puppy joining the family around the first of the year. I was reading all of the advice offered by folks and appreciate the breadth of experience by our community.
I can say that as seasoned a hiker dog as Bookah was, when coming down thru steep ledges and cliffs, where there was a 4-5' jump for her, I'd put one hand under or in front of her chest and the other back behind her ribs and decelerate her jump. And when she'd sneak up on our very tall bed, I'd always ease her down rather then let her joints take it.
Some pretty good advice here.

Now that I have to relearn how to train a puppy, any advice folks have would be gratefully accepted. She'll be crate raised and in puppy classes by 16 or so weeks.

Thanks

Now that I have to relearn how to train a puppy, any advice folks have would be gratefully accepted. She'll be crate raised and in puppy classes by 16 or so weeks.

Thanks

You'll know.
Our Brittany Spaniel/Corgi/Cattle Dog mutt was a very weak/easily tired hiker at 20 lbs & 9 months and can now drag us up and down the mountain @ 29 lbs and 22 months.

Last edited:
I think it was you, Alan, who told ME not to let Gryffin take those big leaps on the descents. So far, I have spent a lot of time in the local woods trying, with some success, to keep him nearby. At least he mostly comes when called. As he walks 15-25 miles per week (my wife is a 4-mile-a-day walker unless the weather crappy), the distance doesn't seem to bug him, but I am playing it safe for now - with 3-4 mile hikes and 1000' or less. He climbed his first mountain, Pack Monadnock, around 6 months, and has now been to Temple, Kearsarge South, and Blueberry. Temple and Blueberry were new for me too, so he's gotten me to go to some smaller peaks I'd have not otherwise visited. Kevin and Judy joined us yesterday for Blueberry and I had to frisk Judy on the way out to make sure she didn't take him ;)

Tim