What does VFTT mean to you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends I've just met, hiked with, and haven't met yet...

3 years ago when I decided I wanted to do Rainier, in blind desperation for someone to join me, I sent a PM to the 3 or 4 people here that I had hiked with who I thought might be interested. 2 responses came back that they just couldn't, no problem, the last came back "Yeah, I think that'd be cool to do." Paradox, who had joined me on one hike, a "Flags on the 48" peak that I lead, thought it was a good idea. We spent that winter doing overpacked overnights in the Whites to train.

I appreciate this site, the knowledge available, and the people I've met.

Thanks to Darren and his brother and the Mods !

It used to be that I always hiked alone. Now I rarely do. It is just plain more fun to have someone else there to share the experience. Thank you Darren and Chip.

I can't think of anything to add that hasn't been so-well stated above. Basically, it's my lifeline to a world that has brought me out of depths.

I always enjoy the ribbing I get when i post something stupid (different, unusual):rolleyes:

I once posted that I dont like putting my crampons on halfway up, so I put them on at the car when there is no need for them until I get halfway up.:confused:

The replies I got were rich. One guy said he puts his on at the house and drives with them on. Another said he opens his tent when he leaves home.:D

Hikers have a rich sense of humor.:p

VFTT is high-class entertainment!

I finished my lists pre-Internet, so I love to see the coordinated efforts that people make nowadays to break in trails. It's amazing!

I also have met many of you on the trail. You know who you are! :D

Thanks a million to Darren and the mods!

Who would have thought you would end up hiking with people you met on the internet??.. Sounds scarier than blind dating..

I had been mostly a solo hiker..forget how I got on line the first time..ended up exchanging emails with Una about hikes in the Rangley area where we did those peaks like 2 weeks apart

Joined the Flags event..my first Views hike and was astounded to see like 40 people on Isolation..Sabrina, Michael J, Dave Bear, MEB, Kim, and so many others..

The circle has grown..seldom does a weekend hike go by without running into someone you know out in the mountains doing the same crazy stuff..its excellent

I was down with a surgery awhile back..Views kept me up to date nicely with the trails and how things were going out there. No question that living vicariously through the threads of others provided some stimulus to get off the couch

Gear tips, people to hike with that have similar goals, friendships that extend beyond hiking, and of course THE PICTURES.

Thanks VFTT good stuff!!

Last edited:
I love seeing the beauty of the mountains from other perspectives through another person's lens, especially since I am such a terrible photographer and so many of you are so much better! Thank you to all who share your photos! You transport me to places of beauty at moments when I can't be there myself, to places that hold fond memories, to places on my bucket list, to places I may never go but am so thankful I got to see nonetheless. You expand my world, grab my attention, and show me nature from another angle - your camera angle. Thank you for the photos from the minute to the majestic and everything in between! :)

On another note: it's also nice knowing ahead of time how much snow I need to go shovel off my deck in Bethlehem... ;)

Who would have thought you would end up hiking with people you met on the internet??.. Sounds scarier than blind dating..

Thanks VFTT good stuff!!

Oooo. When you put it like that...It's an angle I hadn't thought about. Cool!

Love the trip reports and looking at all the great photos the expert photographers post, and keeping up with all the accomplishments of the hiking community..hope to meet more of you all....

Friends.

Chances are that we'd find and enjoy places to hike and paddle but, without VFTT, the chances would be slim of meeting so many good people of similar interests ... if not politics. :)

The circle has grown..seldom does a weekend hike go by without running into someone you know out in the mountains doing the same crazy stuff..its excellent

Gear tips, people to hike with that have similar goals, friendships that extend beyond hiking, and of course THE PICTURES.

Thanks VFTT good stuff!!

Agreed -- I've met on this forum some of the nicest people whom I could hope to meet; I've become friends with some, which is a bonus.

And, that they share a love of hiking is simply icing on the cake.

Thanks!

I first joined VFTT for the trail information and to learn about hiking. It has lead to many new and wonderful friends and many great experiences. I've dragged my non-hiking wife and some non-VFTT friends out on hikes with me and they are amazed that I always seem to run into someone I know out in the middle of the woods or in some small NH town hours from our home - all due to VFTT!

Woody

VFTT has given me the opportunity to be closely associated with the New England & New York hiking community and the trails and mountains and backcountry gems that we are all very passionate about... I've really enjoyed the up to date trail info and meeting- both in person and via the forum here- many outstanding individuals who I'm proud to share a trail and story with!

I don't get to go hiking in the Whites as much as I'd like to, therefore the few times that I do get to go I need information to make for a quality trip that is well worth my time. VFTT has always given me that. The site has also served as a great place to get info on hiking gear.

During the work day I find this site serves as a nice diversion during break time and lunch. It's also nice to find a board where people stay on topic, don't get political and don't sling mud at each other. You won't find too many boards like that.

Also some of the threads have been great. My favorite was the "Why Do You Hike" thread which was started a few years ago. There have been many other good ones as well.

I had been pretty much a solo hiker. I lurked on VFTT for years, taking in information. I finally registered in 2005. I attended a beer night and met some great folks. It was nice to meet people with similar interests.

Thanks to Views, friendships evolved. Between group hikes and gatherings, I have been able to meet so many of you. It has been my privilege to spend time with you. Last year, so many of you came forward offering support to my family. We deeply appreciate what this site has given us. I hope that we give the same in return.

That's what VFTT is to me, friendships. It goes beyond the trails and mountains and into what is important, people. We all have a common interest in the outdoors, but reality is that this is a community, and we look after one another. Thank you Darren for continuing VFTT.