What is the equivalent of climbing Everest 16 times?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got your VM. Sorry we missed you again. Maybe further up the trail.

sli74 said:
We are at telephone pioneers shelter tonight. Survived the crazy rains the last 2 days and are excited for the flowing streams. Will be in CT tomorrow and into Kent for resupply on saturday.
Wow! You just walked through my old backyard!!! I lived right through the woods as you passed Nuclear Lake, if you look at your map, you'll see where the AT formerly ran deeper in the woods than it does now (I believe that section has been renamed the Beekman Uplands Trail)...well, in any case, I had a little herdpath that connected from the Beekman Uplands Trail that went to a logging road and then straight to my backdoor!

Hope you enjoyed NY, too bad the weather was sooo sucky for you!!!! Did you notice the immense Oak Tree about a mile north from Pioneer's shelter as you crossed a road? I believe that's the oldest and biggest Oak tree on the whole AT!

:D

Go Seema! Go Brian!

If you think you know where you'll be Saturday, 2 Aug - maybe I can meet you out there! Glad to know you were far away from the tornado that touched down in NH this past week.

Hope your feet feel better - and no more crazy storms!

They hiked in some severe weather Sunday afternoon. It's nice this morning however. Since Seema has been identifying their locations: She PM'd they would re-supply in Kent yesterday afternoon. They will probably be at their favorite CT lean-to tonight and will be out of CT by tomorrow afternoon. I was not able to meet up with them. They didn't need any of the additional support I offered; laundry, ride to the hospital ;), etc, so they must be in good shape.

sli74 said:
i am currently sitting at the dover oak, isn't that funny. And brian swam in nuclear lake yesterday. Well, we are off to hike now. Later.

Wow! what a coincidence! Hope you liked that section of bog bridges and pastures before crossing Rt 22. If you go to the Appalachian Cafe in Millinocket, take a look at a grouping of pics on the wall there -- they are from that area. :)

Happy Trails, you two!!

sli74 said:
i am currently sitting at the dover oak, isn't that funny. And brian swam in nuclear lake yesterday. Well, we are off to hike now. Later.

Would you actually swim in nuclear lake? did you make sure Brian came out with 2 eyes, hands, feet, 10 toes/fingers, etc. etc. ? :D

Jay

Any estimates when you will be back in the White Mountains? Would be great to be able to hear some stories and provide some trail magic.

Jay H said:
Would you actually swim in nuclear lake? did you make sure Brian came out with 2 eyes, hands, feet, 10 toes/fingers, etc. etc. ? :D

Jay

Hey Man! Nuclear Lake is a beeeeoooootiful lake and I've swum alot in it!!
Just because I swam in that lake, lived in a small cabin near it, had no TV, and could only participate in online forums via dial-up...well, that didn't make me the Una_bomber! Brian will be fine....just fine.....

we are tented near brassie brook leanto tonight. Nancy met us in kent on saturday and hiked a little ways in from river road to stewart hollow brook leanto. She left sunday and we hiked into a huge and scary storm. I am normally laid back about storms but one lightning strike was so close we threw down our poles and crouched down to avoid being hit. Fun and scary. Sorry we couldn't take you up on your offer of help chip, we will need to do 13.5 miles each day till sept 20 or so to finish before our wedding and we hadn't done enough that day.

liza, we will likely be hiking from near blotz road which is between october mtn leanto and kay wood leanto to cheshire on saturday. We will be crossing a zillion roads that day so you will be able to find us easily. I can repost on thurs or fri if i have reception with an update.

unadogger and jay, we loved nuclear lake and yes brian is still as normal as ever which isn't saying much :)

That is so fantastic that Nancy met up with you guys again!!! Hooray! I will be hoping to catch up with you for a bit soon. I don't know if I can bang out many 13.5 mile days in a row, but I should be able to do a couple at least. I'm keeping track of you here and I'll let you know when I might be able to meet up.

TC

sli74 said:
unadogger and jay, we loved nuclear lake and yes brian is still as normal as ever which isn't saying much :)

Never change, Brian! :)

Seema and Brian were camping at Tiorati Circle in Harriman State Park last night (Sunday).

there is a Ranger station at Tiorati Circle... Did you pitch your tent on the roof?

:D

Jay

sli74 said:
. Nancy met us in kent on saturday and hiked a little ways in from river road to stewart hollow brook leanto. She left sunday and we hiked into a huge and scary storm. :)
:eek: good thing I didn't try to find you. Based on your PM I thought you'd be in Kent on Sunday. Glad you survived the storm. The NW corner of CT always get more severe weather.

sli74 said:
liza, we will likely be hiking from near blotz road which is between october mtn leanto and kay wood leanto to cheshire on saturday. We will be crossing a zillion roads that day so you will be able to find us easily. I can repost on thurs or fri if i have reception with an update.

Seema - do you think you'll be in Cheshire, staying in Mark Noepel Lean-to Saturday night? Let me know :)

Seema's tentative schedule

This is Seema and Brian's tentative schedule:

Wed. (tonight) - Tom Leonard
Thursday - somewhere north of Tyringham but before Goose Pond
Friday - October Mountain Lean-to
Saturday - Crystal Mountain Campsite
Sunday - Wilbur Clearing Lean-to
Monday morning/early afternoon they plan to be in Williamstown, picking up a mail drop, doing laundry/resupply.

Toe Cozy said:
Friday - October Mountain Lean-to
Don't know if they will get this info, but I might as well try:

There will be a crew coming in on Sat morning to replace the roof on the lean-to. (The lean-to may or may not be usable Sat evening--Tues depending on how much gets done. There will be another crew in on Tues to finish the job.)

The tenting sites will be unaffected.

Notices have been placed along the approach trails. (I personally placed the one at Shaker Campsite. Whoopee and all that stuff!)

DebW will be part of the Sat crew. (I might have been too, but I have a conflict.)

Doug

Thanks Toe Cozy, I'll try to catch them near Dalton.
Hope I can catch up with them.
I think I'm going to try to combine with a nice night at Tanglewood.

we are at october mtn leanto right now. Tc, thanks for posting my schedule. Liza, we should be getting to dalton sometime between 3 and 6pm tomorrow so hope we can see you. Doug, yes there were signs everywhere and we tent most of the time anyway. Gotta save batteries so i will only update if anything changes from tc's posting. Later.