What motivates a thrill-seeker?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading that article, I felt many things that rang true. Looking at some of the stunts I've pulled in my past (and recent past...), it sounds like I was destined to be on some mountain, somewhere. I suspect that most here will identify with many parts of this article.

Thanks for posting it!

T too

I'll think about that story tomorrow, as I drive too fast to work while thinking about my next climb in the Adirondacks.

"FREEZE! Get down on the floor!"
... "well, what's it gonna be? You want I should freeze? 'Cause if I get down on the floor, I'd a be in motion..."
(name that movie)

Last edited:
Re: T too

AlG said:
"FREEZE! Get down on the floor!"
... "well, what's it gonna be? You want I should freeze? 'Cause if I get down on the floor, I'd a be in motion..."
(name that movie)

"Alright ya hayseeds-- it's a stick-up!" :)

I'm a type T2 myself. I like the adventure. I like the excitement. And I can morph into various metallic weapons.

I think most of us here are type T's.

Jay Meyers, the climber quoted in the article, is a member of this group. He led the party Mad Townie and I were in, on the Katahdin hike last February. A talented climber with a good head on his shoulders. Just for the record, the party I was in was composed of 4 lawyers, an ex lawyer turned psychiatrist, and me, the ER junkie. All type T''s. Go figure.

I agree that we're all probably "type T's"

I LOVE this movie!:
"OK, then."
"Gimme that baby, you warthog from hell!"
"Son... you've got a panty on your head."
"NEVER leave a man behind!"

Just a couple of days ago, I was going through a mental list of things I have planned for the next 4 months:

1. run my first marathon,
2. bike self-supported across New York state
3. hike 21 more peaks to finish my 46 ADK

And I thought to myself...am I manic?

The article lends further support to the fact that I am not the only one with this affliction.

I got an eMail last night from Audrey re: the Captain. I looked at my summer schedule and realized that my first free weekend is October 2nd! (well, I might have an open weekend 8/14, anyone want to go hiking?;)) I never considered myself a thrill seeker, but sitting around has little appeal to me.

I have noticed that weekends with folks that I've met through this site go something like this:

Fri: party hard
Sat Day: Hike
Sat night: party hard
Sun morn: group breakfast, convinced I'm not hiking
Sun Day: Hike
Sun night: unpack just what is wet/dirty.
Mon: wahs dirty clothes, start to unpack. Realize it's easier to just repack for next weekend...

I sense that many of you live your lives like I do.

Here's one for you: when did you realize that your work room became your gear room?

crazymama - Indeed! Go git 'em!!!
SherpaK - My "work room" never attempted to be anything but a gear room. The basement is split perfectly: 1/3 household fixing and working materials, 1/3 backpacking gear, and 1/3 ski wax room...OK, maybe 1/4 for household stuff. :) Maybe, I'm a wannabe type T. :D

Having read the article on Type T people and watching the Paris motorcycle video several times (I caught myself leaning into the curves!), I began to wonder if I was one of these Type T people. Then I read other people’s replies and it seems that the general consensus is that all (or most) of us who subscribe to this BB are Type T people. Is that really possible?

While gathering more information on this Type T thing, I found that some common terms I ran across were risk taking, thrive on uncertainty, thrill-seeker, taking chances, on the edge. Does that really describe all of us?

If I step back and look at what we do when we go hiking, whether it's in the Whites or the ADK's, we walk in a safely sized group on a groomed and well-worn heavily blazed and maintained trail with signs at every trail intersection describing how close we are to the next intersection with packs full of gear and food for every apparent eventuality and making sure we leave a note letting others know where we are and just in case we carry a GPS and a cell phone in case we sprain an ankle and anyway, we can always turn back and get in our car and drive to the nearest restaurant because you know, that was a really tough six miles. Is this how we compare ourselves to the names we saw in the news article?

True, some of us go solo, don't carry a GPS, carry less gear, yadda yadda yadda, but the fact remains that what we are doing is really pretty darn safe stuff with a high degree of certainty of outcome when compared to what mountain climbers do or what leaders of countries do or what leading edge artists or inventors do. Dare I think to compare myself to a Chris Bonington or even a Paul Duvall? I’m not sure. Your thoughts?

JohnL

JohnL: when compared to extreme mountaineers, we are all little "t"s. When compared to most of our acquaintances, in their eyes we are "T"s. We consciously choose to walk away from the parking lot, into the woods, etc., which is foreign to many of them. All you need to confirm that you have many traits of a type "T" is to see the looks your coworkers and family give you when you tell them that you are going winter camping, it's -20F and you are looking forward to it. Bring them to the bottom of a slide and try to convince them that going up it is fun.

Yes, none of us can carry Ed Viesturs crampons, but we also don't hesitate to venture beyond the remote control. Stay home for a month. If that doesn't convince you that you are a type "T", then I'll believe you.

Look at the attached pic. That's a type "T";) I believe this was the day AFTER a (5) 4K, 8500 vertical, 22 mile day. Look familiar?

the fact remains that what we are doing is really pretty darn safe stuff with a high degree of certainty of outcome

If hanging on to West side of Mt Monroe in February in near zero visibility and 75mph winds is not risky what is? I'm sure all of us here have done things that make us type-T's at some point.

Sherpa,
I hear you but this assumes that the Type T scale is a sliding scale; kind of like grading on a curve. I'm not sure that personality types are set up that way. Compared to Ed Viesturs I'm a small t but compared to my mother I'm a Big T. But what would I be if I'm sitting between them on a bench? What would I be if I was compared to no one? BTW, I still love that photo!

Jim,
While I don't want to get into who is and who is not a type T on this BB, I would only say that just because you've been involved in a Type T behavior once in a while, doesn't necessarily make you a Type T personality. Isolated instances of aberrant behavior don't change your personality type.

Good discussion, though.

JohnL

Thrill-seeking, risk-taking...

Its a spectrum. I'm definitely in the low middle somewhere, whereas others are way at the top.

I don't purposely undertake anything where I think there is a high chance of dying. On the other hand, I have friends and family who wouldn't do anything that places them at risk of getting rained on. For the average person, walking into the woods has a lot of risks that you don't have in the safety of your living room.

I went to a family funeral recently and saw a lot of my extended family that I had not seen in years. Someone came up to me and said, "I hear you're an extreme athlete." I almost busted a gut laughing. (If you've ever hiked with me or run with me you would know, I am slow but sure...definitely not "extreme" or even an "athlete" by any stretch of the imagination.) Despite my protests, everyone insisted that in OUR family, I was definitely the "extreme athlete."

Its all relative.

I have spent some time thinking about the article Dennis posted and reading the responses and decided it described me. I always thought I was a type A and headed for a heart attack but this describes me much better. There is more to it than doing extreme sports. It’s more like living outside the box or “letting go of the handrails” as the article stated.

When I was 17 I spent 3 months hitchhiking around the country with 20 bucks.

I raced moto cross for 5 years, turning to mt bikes once they were invented.

During the time I raced MX I built an award winning custom van that I used as a race support vehicle.

Most of the mt. bikes that I raced I designed and built myself.

There were no mt. bike races in our area so I became a race promoter and an official helping the sport to grow during its infancy and continuing for 12 years.

For the last 8 years I have been designing and building an engine of my own design using machine tools that I’ve made myself from whatever. The parts are cast from scrap aluminum in a home built foundry.

I actually prefer winter camping/climbing to any other season.

I am not stating these to puff myself up in your eyes but to state that now I know what is “wrong” with me and that I am among kindred hearts. I don’t do things to “be extreme” rather I find the boring life that most of my co-workers and acquaintances live to be, well, boring. The things I do I do to feel that I am alive and growing. The challenges that I put before myself are to help me push my limits to become all that I can be.

I always set lofty goals for myself and sometimes I even attain them. So far this year I’ve completed the Devil’s Path and in July I plan to compete in a 101mile mt bike race. Come on all you Type T’s, get out there and experience the rest of your life.