What size backpack for 8 Days of Food and Equipment?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
I know that the use of a backpack takes in a lot of personal issues such as weight, etc, but I'd be interested if the experts can relate pack sizes in cubic inches that would be effective if you needed to carry 8 days of food and equipment (no resupply, tent needed and during summer, but gets down to freezing at night). I don't go light so thats not a total concern. I know there is no right answer but I am looking for opinions. Most I have packed for is a 4 day/3 nighter.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

An indirect answer: My pack is 3700 and the most I've tried is 7 days of food. It was really pushing it...to the point that I don't plan on trying it again. So, I would guess 4500 or so.

The real question is: how hungry to you want to be vs. how light do you want your pack?

I do not represent myself as an expert (read the disclaimer ;) ) BUT...FWIW...I had a nice Lowe Alpine Contour IV 90+15 that I had used for a few years but realized it was heavier than my old Kelty external frame. I sold the Contour and have been happily using my Kelty again, just lashing on as many items as needs dictate, including a day pack when base camping.

Tuco said:
...pack sizes in cubic inches that would be effective if you needed to carry 8 days of food and equipment <SNIP> Most I have packed for is a 4 day/3 nighter.

I'm guessing that your equipment will be essentially the same on your 8 day trip as it is on your 4 day/3 nighters. If thats the case, the only real increase in pack capacity you'll need is for the extra food. Unless your current pack is maxed out now on a 4 day trip, you'll probably be able to fit another 4 days worth of food in there.

Onestep

trailbiscuit said:
The real question is: how hungry to you want to be vs. how light do you want your pack?

Thanks all- as a rule, I NEVER want to be hungry. I'd rather carry extra. I am a grumpy hungry guy.

I have a 3800 Liter Kelty and I've packed 6 days of food in it. At the start of a trip that distance, my pack is between 45-50 pounds.
But since I'm little all my gear is smaller; and I only bring one extra day of clothes.

In general, 5000 cubic inches is a good average size. Some go smaller, some need more room.

I've got a big 5000 or more (not sure) Lowe Alpine or I can make do with my dinky daypack (2500-3000). Personally, I would never buy anything under 4000 with the sole purpose of week-long trips. Unless you're a midget, extremely hairy or will be camping in a tropical locale it probably won't be big enough.

Last edited:
Pack Suspension

I would make sure that the pack's suspension system can handle the weight you want to put in it. This past fall I took a three day trip with my 3000 cu inch pack and I was miserable on the trail. Everything fit in the pack fine but the weight was too much for the pack and my shoulders and neck paid for it. I should have used one of my larger packs and I would have been much more comfortable.

In general, I would agree with Sleeping Bear and recommend a pack size of about 5000 cu in. especially if carrying winter gear and a mountaineering tent.

Having done a number of 8-12 day trips over the years, I was always comfortable around 4,800 - 5,500 CI's or roughly 80-90 Liter packs.

*Note...I wasn't sure if you were saying no resupply and no tent or no resupply but you needed a tent.

The pack, tent, and sleeping bag are the big three, but the pack will be dependant upon your level of gear integration (that sounds pretty cool).
For instance... I always carried a whisperlite, 22oz fuel bottle and 2 liter steel cooking pots (MSR Cascade set) . Now there is ultralight Pepsi can stoves and much smaller Ti pots, taking up much less room. A Down bag might save you 500-750 cubic inches over a synthetic bag and small 1-person tent or a single wall sylnylon shelter will probably save you 750-1,000 cubic inches over a standard 4.5-5.0 lb 2 person 3 season tent.

Clothing is another space-saver or space taker (depending on how you look at it) I rarely wear hiking pants in the 3 season, preferring shorts and a pair of lightweight rain pants for use on summits and ridges or in wind driven rain, and a pair of running tights for the coldest nights - I do usually wear gaiters. I have 2 sets of clothes, one on and one in the pack. I wear my rain-gear if I stop to do laundry. But plan on much less bulk for summer backpacking.

I carry a 100 weight fleece shirt between June and August, and a 200 weight fleece jacket for April/May September/October.

Food is your biggest weight factor and the nice thing is it will diminish in weight and volume each day, but for 8 days, if you are not into ultralight and latest technology, you would probably have a 40+lb pack.

One thing you don't want is to have a pack that is too small and end up cramming it so full that it bulges, as I find the packs don't ride as well when they are crammed/rammed hard with gear and food.

I put together some info a number of years ago for my former ADK chapter, and later gave it to my AMC Chapter - It might help you Here

Factors (bulk and pack size can also change depending on where you are heading. A week in the whites or on the LT in May is far different from a week on the AT in the Shenandoah's in May.

I would definitely say 4500 to 5000. There's nothing wrong with having a pack that may have 100 or 200cu in more that you need, but it's better to play it save and go larger. It's much better to be cinching straps than to be lashing things to the outside of your pack!

Rick said:
*Note...I wasn't sure if you were saying no resupply and no tent or no resupply but you needed a tent.
There is no resupply avilable for about 8 days and I'll be carrying a tent. Also caring a bear cannister.

This has been helpful. Thanks

I'd say 5,000. Better to fit it comfortably in a pack designed for the weight then to have your pack overstuffed & hanging improperly.

Try stuffing the smaller one first, then move stuff to the bigger pack. If you start with with the bigger pack, you will fill it even if you don't need all the space.

I would bring a 4,500 to 5,000 ci pack also, especially since you're taking a bear cannister.

I did the 100 Mile Wilderness in 8 days (including Katahdin) with a 4,500 ci pack and it was too big. It weighed in at 43 pounds and this year it'll weigh less than 30 as I'm taking a 3,000 ci pack instead, and taking less food, fewer clothes, and a lighter stove.

Just lay out what you're going to take, load it up, and try out several different packs, hiking 4-5 miles with each. I did that in Acadia and narrowed my pack choices down 2 years ago. Unfortunately I ruined that pack when I fell most of the way down a mountain in the rain, so last year I chose a sturdier one, which wasn't as comfortable, but it was bombproof.

I would say you need larger than what most people have suggested based on
1: Your desire to carry plenty of supplies/food
2: Needing a tent and sleeping bag for sub-freezing temps
3: 8 days of food (that's a lot!)

I've used a 90-liter pack (1 liter = roughly 60 cubic inches, so about 5400 cubin inches) and I also carry a 150 cubic inch waistpack to have a snack, map, and camera at the ready. That size seems to do me pretty well for a week. I've had it absolutely maxed out only 2 or 3 times -- for a 10-day summertime stretch with cold nights (in Colorado) and for 4-5 day winter trip.

So if you are buying a backpack for this jaunt, I would go for at least a 90L/5400" pack to be on the safe side.

As somebody said, you don't really need any more equipment/clothes than you do for one night out, but I always underestimate how much space and weight food takes up. For comparison's sake, I generally take my 3000" pack for 3 nights or less (which is most of my backpacking these days).

A look at backpacking in a different light...

Tuco-
You are on the $ when you said a lot of backpacking methods / techniques is personal!! You said, going light is not that important; have you ever considered trying it?? Personally, I think it's the only way to travel!!
For instance, it's entirely possible to travel for 8 days with a pack no larger than 2000 cubic inches, no more than 25 lbs (that includes everything!), and be completely comfortable and safe in the backcountry (even with temps going below the freezing mark). However, it does take some research, acquiring some new gear (usually less expensive than heavier counterparts), and a slight adjustment in one's comfort zone. If you are interested in backpacking this way, PLEASE send me a message. Thanks and good luck...

Youngblood :

Tuco-

I have an EMS ST 5000, which is meant to adjust for a shorter torso. It's a great pack for stashing crampons in a front pouch for winter hiking. This pack was used in 11 day backpack, but it was in a group of eight guys and the crew gear was divided up. This pack as I'm told is no longer made for I acquired it in 2001. Good luck on your final choice!

Regards,

Ridgewalker

Tuco, I'm curious about your food, stove, and fuel. Will this be all freeze-dried? Dehydrated? Doing some cooking? Cold meals? Snacks?

I tend to agree with youngblood (though I'm not down to that weight yet!). But certainly no need to go heavy if you don't have to.

Eight days, no re-supply, and you're taking a bear cannister? Can I come? :) ;)

youngblood said:
...For instance, it's entirely possible to travel for 8 days with a pack no larger than 2000 cubic inches, no more than 25 lbs (that includes everything!), and be completely comfortable and safe in the backcountry (even with temps going below the freezing mark). However, it does take some research, acquiring some new gear (usually less expensive than heavier counterparts), and a slight adjustment in one's comfort zone...

I'm always willing to have someone help me to become more educated on any given topic. So, can you please explain in detail how one can be "completely comfortable and safe in the backcountry" for eight days, without re-supply, with night temps at/near freezing, in bear country (based on his comment about taking a bear cannister), using a 2000 in3 pack at no more than 25 lbs? Thanks.

dvbl said:
I'm always willing to have someone help me to become more educated on any given topic. So, can you please explain in detail how one can be "completely comfortable and safe in the backcountry" for eight days, without re-supply, with night temps at/near freezing, in bear country (based on his comment about taking a bear cannister), using a 2000 in3 pack at no more than 25 lbs? Thanks.
I am guessing that youngblood is referring to this type of stuff -

Book/Website

I have read Jardine's book and gleaned a lot from it, but it is not in my comfort level to go that light.

Eric - you really need to go here -

Hilton's Tent City

They are right at North Station (you can take the train from Haverhill - hell, I'd go with you) they have the best prices and very knowledgeable staff - they also specialize in the types of packs you are interested in.

What you really need for your trip is for Rols to go and carry your pack!