What Temperature Sleeping Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski_adk

Reaction score
What temperature-rated sleeping bag would be great for the Daks during the normal 3 seasons of hiking? I'm currently looking at a down-filled 30 degree bag for $100 and am curious whether this is a good deal. It weighs 2 lb 14 oz and packs down to 8 x 14.

If this doesn't fit good backpacking purposes, what might?

It's tough to use One bag for three seasons. I assume you mean spring, summer, and fall. I would concentrate on a good quality 20F bag for the spring and fall (marmot pinnacle would be a wise choice). It will take you into late fall and early spring.

For a normal summer bag I suggest a fleece bag liner or a simple inexpensive synthetic bag (40-60F rating).. Chances are good in the summer your bag may get wet rendering down useless. Down bags get funky due to prespiration during the summer. Normal summer meaning 45-60 degree nights.

But to directly answer your question.....A good quality 30F would work for a 3 season bag. Down is alitte iffy for warm weather camping though. I would go with a good quality synthetic 20F for 3 season use and just unzip it in the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks BlownAway...I appreciate the feedback. I have always tended to sweat a lot in a sleeping bag, only to wake up in the morning freezing. So, funk might be an issue. The bag in question that I was looking at is at http://www.steepandcheap.com today.

I'm trying to find a decent sleeping bag, and not quite exactly sure what to look for. Thanks again for all your help.

Steep and Cheap, eh?

I use a 20 degree synthetic myself, I tend to sleep cold. Only once was I ever truly relieved I had synthetic over down as my bag became wet after a long and rainy day over algonquin and I was able to stay warm, even when wet.

The advertising sure sounds good. I have 2 MH bags and they have held up well. I sleeping cold in my 20F bag in 25-30f temps and it doesn't compress well...its a synthetic, 2nd Dimension.

I have a -15F Ritter Stormlight that's OK...I would like alittle more compressability with it though.

The Comet sounds good for the price and it's worth a try, but I just don't like Down bags in the East during summer. Too humid. For the west they are great. You notice the advertisement uses the grand canyon for its example. Usually very dry and low humidity there.

A good 15°-25° bag should be adequate for fall and spring, depending upon your personal comfort level and metabolism. A silk or duofold liner, a bivy and your clothes can be used to boost the bag as needed.

At first I bought for sales, then after getting a good portion of my gear stolen I went out and what I wanted. Much better.

That said, the bag you're looking at seems a tad heavy though a good deal. I prefer a warmer bag for 3 season use. But then again I have a summer bag.

I would also suggest a synthetic as it's easy to get them wet in the spring and summer. A 30° would be Ok, but for early spring and late fall I'd suggest a 20° at the least, I use a 15°. The synthetics are typically cheaper than the down, but a little heavier. In the dead of summer I use a 40°+ sleeping bag and it's fine, but not the rest of the time. I don't know that there is just one bag that's good for all 3 seasons.

I use a 20F, 2lb 2oz down mummy bag with a full zip for the 3 seasons. It has a Pertex shell fabric which resists wetting by liquid water.

The full zip allows one to hang both legs and torso out in warm weather or open the bag out for use as a blanket.

BTW, 2lb 14 oz is pretty heavy for a 30F down bag, but that may be a factor in the low price.

Doug

Ski_Adk

here's my take:

1 - primary consideration is rating. For true 3 season camping, if you are cold sleeper go for 15F, if a warm sleeper 25F. always wanna have a little more than think will need

2 - secondary consideration is comfort. i cannot over-recommend the Mt. Hdwr quantum system. is like having two bags in one, togther w/ the full double zip venting you WILL be able to teak the temp rating. Kelty footzip is nice but doesnt compare. so, go for a little lower temp rated Mt. Hdwr quantum bag, say 15-25F. anyone who says one bag cannot do 3 season comfortably has not has the pleaseure of getting acquainted w/ a Mt. Hdwr Q bag (i own two).

3 - weight is IMO secondary to size/packability - AND - more importantly, down is a better buy because you can smash the you know what out of it down to nothing and it will spring back time and again 4-ever, whereas if ya do that to synthetic it might last a year... also, fears of getting down wet are greatly exagerated unless you are a careless camper...

4 - BOTTOM LINE - spend a few extra bucks to get a Mt. Hdwr down quantum bag rated a little lower than what you were thinking and you will set for a long, long time.

and will thank me over & over,

Gris

Last edited:
ski_adk said:
What temperature-rated sleeping bag would be great for the Daks during the normal 3 seasons of hiking? I'm currently looking at a down-filled 30 degree bag for $100 and am curious whether this is a good deal. It weighs 2 lb 14 oz and packs down to 8 x 14.

If this doesn't fit good backpacking purposes, what might?

If you consider that some of the best backpacking weather is in October and temperatures can easily go below freezing at night, you may prefer a bag that is rated lower than 30 degrees. I use a Marmot Pinnacle (rated at 15 degrees F) and find it comfortable all the way up to 70 degrees F. At temps warmer than that, I just sleep on top of the bag in my underwear.