What to eat for breakfast?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, Grits. I just wish they weren't so hard to find up north.

Well, I woke up Sunday morning
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.
--Johnny Cash

Actualy Johnny Cash was covering a Kris Kristopherson song (great version BTW).

What about the old New England breakfast of hasty pudding aka corn meal mush with molasses. Throw in some raisin or dried cranberries etc.

I was told the protein you eat today will work for you tomorrow. The carbs you eat today will work for you today. I think the fats are somewhere in the middle.
Back in Winter School, we were taught that carbs were digested in about an hour, proteins in 3-4 hrs, and fats ~7 hrs. A quick search of my reference books gives carbs 1-2 hrs and fats 7-8 hrs (FOTH, pg 448, 3rd ed, 1974*)--didn't find a number for proteins.

A network source gives a range of 3-10 hrs for digestion of different proteins. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...ces-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html

Carbs and fats are your primary sources for energy. Proteins are necessary for maintenance (the requirement is pretty independent of the amount of exercise), but excess can be used for energy.

* The later editions of FOTH have less info on food.

Doug

A pre-hike breakfast for me is always a stack of pancakes with LOTS of maple syrup.

B-fast sandwich of some type (preferably NOT from a greasy dive...grease and I are NOT the biggest of friends) and a BIG, FAT, MUFFIN!!!!

Oh...and lots of pre-hike coffee!

Orange Juice - It's not just for breakfast anymore

Seriously, o.j. is a great mid-morning energy booster. I am also a light/poor breakfast eater and find it hard to eat a full meal before a hike. To keep from crashing I fill at least one water bottle with orange juice for energy and nutrition on the trail. I find that stopping about an hour into the hike for a granola bar or gorp snack also helps.

For big day hikes (15+ miles), I'll always eat 2 bagels and 12oz of OJ about 30 minutes before I reach the trailhead. The first 30-60 minutes of the hike are usually a little groggy, but then I'm fueled for strong hiking for at least the next 5-6 hours. After that, I'll eat about 200-250 calories (i.e. a cliff bar or a powerbar or some mixed nuts, etc.) every 60-90 minutes to keep going.

I tend to bonk without a decent breakfast (or lunch or dinner for that matter). A mixture of oatmeal and couscous with dried fruits and nuts works well. If at home add a little soy milk. If from camp add powdered milk to the dry mix and a little hot water makes a one bowl meal.

one plan does not fit all ... as usual

Those who have pointed out the differences in rate of conversion to energy between carbohydrates, fats and proteins are right on. (Protein energy conversion can be measured in days, not just hours.) Take this as an opportunity to design your own breakfast around both personal taste and a balance of each energy resource. Our individual metabolisms determine that rate of energy conversion so a personalized plan is usually best.

Another energy source, faster than all the others, are fruit sugars. I always carry a sliced orange and boxed fruit juice for a natural and healthy form of energy boost.

Those who have participated in competitive sports probably appreciate the value of the previous day/night training meals. In retrospect, these had a heavy emphasis on pasta based carbs and meat based protein, all designed to peak about ... the time to board the team bus home.

I personally don't like eating when I get up, on weekends I eat a mid morning lunch and then have a light snack in the middle of the afternoon.

Since I wake up at 5:30 for work I usually have breakfast around 8:00, then its either oatmeal or eggs.

For hiking I usually have some form of flat bread and cheese. I eat about half of it before starting the hike and the other half after a few hours. Just can't stomach it all at one time.

All that said when on vacation on the left bank I enjoy a large plate of huevos rancheros, as long as there is a Bloody Mary or 2 with it, it goes down easily.

Well, I woke up Sunday morning
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.
--Johnny Cash
QUOTE]

Perfect! I love how he puts on his 'cleanest dirty shirt.'
I only have beer for breakfast when I have hiked all night and am back at the trailhead.

When I can go skiing all day it is a hearty big breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon, home fries an maybe some pancakes.

However most of the time it is like any other day, coffee and maybe something to eat (oatmeal w/ honey is a favorite) Key for me is to have some easy to reach snacks when I am on the trail (usually it is mt biking) Sport Beans from jelly belly is a favorite, fun size Snickers and some of the "gel" things.

Actualy Johnny Cash was covering a Kris Kristopherson song (great version BTW).

Good call!

I couldn't hear you for the TV, I didn't know you said goodbye
I saw your cancelled check for the airfare, didn't know flyin' got too high
Beans for breakfast once again, hard to eat 'em from the can. --Johnny Cash

Call any vegetable Call it by name
Call one today When you get off the train
Call any vegetable And the chances are good
Aw, The vegetable will respond to you.
--FZ

Could we have kippers for breakfast, mummy dear, mummy dear?
--Supertramp

Oh..uh..me flakes... scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages,tomatoes, toast, coffee marmalade..I like marmalade... porridge..any cereal, I like all cereals...oh god...
--Alan

Oh, uh, I like to eat breakfast when I'm hiking! Did that keep us on track?

best drive thru option

Tim Hortons Homestyle Oatmeal [meal] - Oatmeal ( choice of two types), OJ, Vanilla Jogurt with fruits.

If camping, winter is easy...hash browns and sausages; Folger's filter-pack coffees and juice. I tried a pre-made potato, ham and cheese concoction this winter that I had vacuum sealed and froze previously.

In non-frozen months, I usually just settle on a bagel and peanut butter; coffee and juice again. I have to force it down in those months because I hate to eat first thing.

If driving from home, a coffee, muffin, and OJ while drivin' in my cah.

I think "hearty" high fat, high protein breakfasts are a hindrance to performance unless they are eaten 4 hours prior to the hike.

Most often I leave my home at 3:30 am to start hiking at 6-6:30 and to save time I eat in the car. I am not hungry at that time of day anyway and my biorhythm is already thrown out of whack by the weird wake up time.

So, I plan my breakfast around drinkables and I keep the fat content to a minimum. My staples are latté coffee, liquid yoghurt, 1 or 2% chocolate milk, a banana for carbs and potassium, and maybe a muffin. Before leaving the house I occasionally eat 2 slices of wheat toast, lightly buttered and slathered with honey.

Once on the trail I keep the fuel coming by nibbling continuously on pieces of protein and Cliff bars, some pure sugar source, such as Skittles or gummies, or dried fruit.

I also graze on mixed nuts (peanuts, sun seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and cashews that I mix up myself and whose fat I "dilute" with 50% pretzels.

According to a new book on nutrition and outdoor activities such as hiking (I forget the title but its in French anyway) on a long, vigorous hike such as a Pemi Loop you need to eat at least 100 grams of protein. I am guessing that the protein is not for energy but serves to rebuild that which you break down (ie. destroy) while doing the hike.

I suspect everybody's metabolism is a bit different, It is a matter of finding what works best for you. YMMV and all that. So we should all take any recommendations (especially my out of the mainstream regimen) with some grains of salt.

I begin every morning (hiking or not) by drinking enough water to reestablish my normal hydration and prepare for the expected toll of the day. For me that is anywhere from 20 to 48 ounces of water before I eat anything. But I would not recommend approaching that upper range if you are not used to it, nor should one drink too much too rapidly. I don't drink any other fluids at breakfast (coffee, milk, juices) as I find they are too dehydrating for me.

I was told the protein you eat today will work for you tomorrow. The carbs you eat today will work for you today. I think the fats are somewhere in the middle.
Back in Winter School, we were taught that carbs were digested in about an hour, proteins in 3-4 hrs, and fats ~7 hrs. A quick search of my reference books gives carbs 1-2 hrs and fats 7-8 hrs (FOTH, pg 448, 3rd ed, 1974*)--didn't find a number for proteins.

A network source gives a range of 3-10 hrs for digestion of different proteins. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...ces-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html

Carbs and fats are your primary sources for energy. Proteins are necessary for maintenance (the requirement is pretty independent of the amount of exercise), but excess can be used for energy.
I am in agreement with all of this. I would add that the carbs you ate the prior day (at least from the evening meal) will also work for you today. That is why distance athletes carbo load the night prior to a competition. Contrary to the popular adage that breakfast is the most important meal of the day -- Dinner is without doubt the most important meal for the next day of hiking or any other endurance activity.

I would think eating protein in the morning will help late in the day.
I also agree with this. At the very least I believe it keeps me from feeling hungry during the late stages of a hike.

If I am eating breakfast at home I have 1-2 scrambled eggs and 2-3 small pancakes. The drive to the trailhead allows some time for digestion of the protein and carbs before starting the hike. That will supply me for most day hikes. Although I am mostly relying on the carbo load from dinner the night before (which also includes some protein and fats).

I generally don't eat anything during a hike unless it is a very long and strenuous hike - then I will have some easy to digest snacks - raisins, fruit, or carrots to munch on. I will always graze on whatever berries I find along the trail -- whether I need them or not.:)

In general anything you eat will require the body to burn some calories to digest. So eating hard to digest foods during a hike might be somewhat counterproductive. The easy to digest, natural sugars seem to supply me with the most energy more quickly than anything else. I suppose it may also help that I only eat two meals on non-hiking days (skipping lunch). So I feel no psychological compulsion to eat lunch while hiking. I also work odd and constantly changing hours so I doubt that I am subject to the normal diurnal biorhythms any more.

If I am eating breakfast in the mountains after a backpacking bivouac, I eat a whole wheat and jelly sandwich for breakfast. I am usually on the trail within a few minutes after eating, so there is no time to digest proteins.

Last edited:
I think it is a mistake to assume that all energy sources are available or used when digested or even shortly after that. There is a lag by hours and even days which is why we can survive for even a couple of weeks without food, but not without water/fluids.

Regard all meals a day or two before a hike as having some potential benefit, not just the breakfast that morning.

And again, fruit juices contain the most immediate source of energy and health-wise, far superior to caffein.

I am in agreement with all of this. I would add that the carbs you ate the prior day (at least from the evening meal) will also work for you today. That is why distance athletes carbo load the night prior to a competition.
The purpose of carbo loading is to store a maximum amount of glycogen in the muscles (typically for use the next day or so).

Fuel for hiking/exercising can come from glycogen stored in the muscles and liver, glucose from digestion of food eaten while exercising, and fat (stored both in the muscles and in the fat cells). We typically have on the order of 2000 cal of stored glycogen and 10s of thousands of calories of stored fat. (A distance runner "bonks" at about 20 miles because that is where he runs out of stored glycogen which is consumed at ~100 cal/mile.)

Eating shortly before and during exercise reduces the consumption rate of the stored fuel and thus maximizes one's total capacity.

Any food source eaten in excess will be converted to fat which can be stored and burned any amount of time later. In cases of extreme fuel deprivation, one will also metabolize one's muscles (which is why climbers on early Himalayan expeditions often came back looking like skeletons).

And while the 1, 4, and 7 hour figures that I gave earlier are ideals, we tend to eat the 3 types of food in combinations which can alter the digestion times. For instance, carbs eaten with fat will digest more slowly than pure carbs. (The digestion times should probably be thought of as one would use the "rule of 3's"--general guidelines rather than exact figures.) A racer, for instance, may eat differently depending on the duration of a race to maximize the amount of fuel available at all parts of the race.

Doug

Last edited: