what type of supplements do you take?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I am always looking for something to give me a edge. I get cramps, so I take potasium tablets and eat bannanas. I also take salt tablets in the summer when I sweat alot. I take 1 bottle of gatoraid and 1 bottle of cytomax on my hikes. along with vitamins every mourning. Is there anything that you take or eat to give you extra energy, or an "edge"? ;)

Other than Cosequin (glucosamine-chondroitin sulfate supplement), and yes, bananas on a summer hike, I don't take any nutritional supplements.

However, I've done some research in the past month or so into supplements and other treatments for Dugan four-legs. We're attempting to heal a partial tear to a stifle ligament (think ACL human injury).

I've turned up a few things that might be useful for humans:
calcium-magnesium is supposed to be good for muscle cramps/spasms, among other things
vitamin c is supposed to help reduce bruising, inflammation, bleeding

It is very important to research supplements before taking supplements. The relationships can be extensive and complex. Taking one thing can block the absorption of something else, which can lead to another result, and so forth....

If you decide to try supplementing without the advice of a doctor or nutritionist, it's generally safer to confine yourself to water soluble rather than fat soluble supplements. Excess water soluble supplements (like vitamin c) should flush from your body. Fat soluble are stored in your body, and may lead to further imbalance.

For me, I have found the best edge to be regular exercise and eating a VERY healthy balanced diet.

Antioxidants

I have had to take a diuretic for the past ten years or so to control hereditary hypertension. About four years ago, I found that with a pack on, I couldn't go uphill at all. My legs would burn with lactic acid, even though I had been working out at a reasonable level. I got a battery of medical tests that ruled out heart, lungs, and neuromuscular problems. My doctor was stumped.

I found a study (on a college site) that seemed to link diuretics with increased lactic acid, and another paper that linked lactic acid and free radicals. As a result, I tried a pill that contains medium levels of Vitamins A, C, and E, and also Selenium. That seems to have solved the problem with the lactic acid when I ascend with a pack.

I don't know whether this would have the affect of raising lactic "tolerance" in someone who is not affected by medication, but I've also seemed to have had other benefits, like increased resistance to colds, and reduced symptoms when I have caught a cold, over the couple of years that I've been taking this.

Occasionally a multi-vitamin before hiking. But, when I feel a little lacking, I take a Gu, which always helps. That and I snack on Power Bars during the day. Usually I can still run down the trail at the end of the day without difficulty.

Iuse Champion Nutritions Muscle Nitro and Joint Support Formula routinely. I have added some of their other products like Revenge Pro, Revenge Sport, Pro-score 100 and Met from time to time. I used to use Cytomax but kept getting killer heart burn from it. You might want to check out their web site as they have an excellent file on endurance training and nutrition.

Gu on long hikes. Lots of food during the hike. Gatorade and water. And aspirin when my knees start really hurting.

I take my supplements after hiking and they are usually 95% water.

No supplements for me. Well maybe some "recovery drinks" like the one's Neil uses. I do find that I have a lot more energy on a hike if I eat pasta the night before and start my hydration routine the day before.

None for me, unless you consider red meat, green beans and pasta as supplements.

I found out last month that Tylenol for Sinus and colds can bring your performance to a next level. But that's because pseudoephedrine, and I don't think that's the kind of supplements you are talking about...

Gu is engineered and much more than just sugar, syrup, or honey. I read the reports on how it was developed somewhere, I think my older brother may still have the links.

It gives you the most energy without costing you any. In other words, when you eat something, energy is taken from your body to digest it, so it can slow you down. With Gu there is no energy lost, but everything gained, so it won't slow you down.

It's not just the type of sugar, but how much, and balanced with what other nutrients. It was over a year ago that I read it, but I was very impressed that so much work went into developing it.

If you like GU and drink coffee, try Powergel double caffeine tangerine. YEAH, YUMMY!!!

No supplements here, per se, but I do recommend filling a bottle with Emergen-C. I usually start drinking it on the drive up. It's a great energy boost, as well as a miracle for hangovers. ;)

sapblatt said:
When the weather warms up I switch from water to Gatorade - I use the powder and make it at 50 % strength...it makes a huge difference at the end of the day.

actually I do use gatorade as well - I don't take pills of any kind tho - not even asprin unless really have to.

I take those MegaMan vitamins from GNC, those things are loaded!