What type of vehicle do you drive?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they also offer that engine in the outback now.

They do, I drive one. ;)

From the Outback forums I belong to, I've read enough to warrent myself to using premium fuel most of the time. No reason for me to risk it, gas is still cheap and I only put in less than 10k miles a year.

Jay

Jay H said:
They do, I drive one. ;)

From the Outback forums I belong to, I've read enough to warrent myself to using premium fuel most of the time. No reason for me to risk it, gas is still cheap and I only put in less than 10k miles a year.

Jay

Why what have you read? Never heard anything bad about not running premium fuel other than getting slightly worse gas mileage? In most of todays cars, including the scoobies, there are computers that basically "mix" the fuel on the fly to make it richer, or not soo rich.

M

'93 P-o-s

1993 Saturn base model with 240,000 miles on it I can still make it from Central MA to the Whites without a worry. I am a firm believer in the P-O-S car.....beat it till is dies. cargo room is lacking, but there is still enough room for a hiking buddy + gear + dog....a tight squeeze, but it works.

truepatriot09 said:
Does anyone of the wagon driving crowd roll in the Vibe? We're going to trade in our Xterra (which I was very happy with) in an effort to get a more fuel efficent vehicle and while comparing the Vibe with Subaru's I'm finding you get better mileage and it's more affordable...

I just bought one this summer. Not much zip, but it gets the job done. And I am getting 33-34 mpg (which is great now that gas is inching close to $3 a gallon!).

Lots of cargo room with the seats folded flat.

Faithful 1998 Suby Impreza L Wagon
Big dent in back due to mean rearender
can no longer back load packs or gear! :mad:

Love my suby but will upgrade to Toyota Prius Hybrid in a year or so to offset fuel costs

2000, Saturn SL 2, 184,560 miles, 37 MPG average :)

Took it to most trailheads except Caribou Valley Road :eek: in Maine.

Perfect car for a trailhead, non-descript, NH plates, nothing to make it stand out.......... :)

shamples said:
I got my big bad Honda Element working for me. At first, bought it just for more room with a new baby on the way, but now having it 2 and a half years it has come in handy with its cargo space and its could be much worse gas mileage. 50,000 miles in 2.5 years and still going strong.

Another Element here and love it. Bought it for space and durability (i.e. LOVE the rubber, no carpets to mess up with all our dirty gear). We try to mainly use the Element for our outdoors trips and commute in an Eclipse to work (my husband and I work at the same place, which works out nicely for commuting). Hopefully the Eclipse will last a long time, but when the time comes to replace it, we'd like a hybrid.

I drive a 2000 Jeep Cherekee Sport. Would not trade it for anything. It gets me through snow storms, across streams, and eroded roads. The clearance is great on them as well as space inside. I can put all my gear and sleep comfy in it. My dad and freinds all have own them and had well over 160 thous miles with no problems. Only disadvantage is it has a 6 cylider. Not as good as a four. I realyy dont drive far. I like to stay more local.

:) Subaru Outback. Last December, I sold my 2001 for a 2005. Wouldn't want to drive any other vehicle right now and never a SUV.

Gator said:
Are your outdoor pursuits a factor in what vehicle(s) you've purchased?

No. I want a car that is relatively good on gas milage. If there are places I can'T go with my car, I either don't go, or walk. I'm not going to have a car which burns more feul just for the times I might need it.

BTW, last fall, I took 4 people with luggage and 3 bicycles down to NYC in my little Tercel. Not comfortable, but economical. Know something else? I find it more cmofortable to sleep in my Tercel, than I did in my Dodge caravan (which I had when there were 5 in the family)

Oh yeah... and my other car is a bicycle

Last edited:
civic

05 Honda Civic. 51,000 miles in two years, inclucing cross-country and never a problem. Great on gas but limits what trailheads I can get to in the winter (not too badly though). I usually hike solo so space for gear isn't much of an issue. The only difficulties I've had were hitting bottom going through a puddle on the long dirt road to the Crane Mt. trailhead (ADKs) and getting stuck in the snow at the end of Big Hollow Rd. doing Blackhead and Black Dome in the Cats but was able to dig myself out after the hike with a shovel I carry in the trunk.

I have my trusty old Nissan Pickup. It has the extra cab, so 4 people could cram in it, but wouldn't be very comfortable. It only has 154,000 miles on it. It is 4wd, and has gone places you would never think a vehicle would go. I've had it for a few years, and it has yet to let me down.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

I bought it mostly for ski and school trips to Northen Vermont in winter. Not a great car to maintain but awesome to the trailheads in the winter (with the right tires) and yet not totally awful on gas. It gets low 20's mpg on the highway.

My wife and I trade off between a 95 Subaru impreza s with 130k+ and a 98 Nissan pathfinder. I like the pathfinder for the cargo space and Bose sound system, but you can't beat the subaru with gas prices the way they are. I drove the subaru up to BSP a few weeks ago with no problems and only. My wife and I have owned four subaru's and we swear by them. I thought with a baby on the way I should get somthing with a little more room, so I bought the pathfinder. If subaru had somthing bigger at the time I would have bought it, but alas they did not so I went with the pathfinder which is ok but really expensive to fix IMO. Our next car will be a legacy wagon without a doubt.

--Darwin

Subaru Outback. The 4-cylinder is adequate, though I'd have liked a little more oomph. Not with these gas prices though! The rear is roomy enough for several suitcase and a dog. A Thule carrier on top, and we could go cross country!

The high clearance is fabulous on those back roads in Maine. Whatever you decide on, make sure you at least have antilock brakes.

My Honda CRV has been great! Lots of room, reliable, NOT a gas guzzler. I bought it in part because I could put my bike in the back without having to disassemble anything, and it's smaller than the full size SUVs. I've had mine since 1998 and never had a problem fitting 4 people and all our hiking gear in it. My previous Honda was a Prelude that I had for 12 years and I sold that one when it had 224,000 miles on it. I like Hondas.

Roxi

I've got a 2000 Saturn SL. Solid car and gets great gas mileage at 40 mpg. Close to 90k on the odometer. The fuel efficiency is huge. I've wanted something with 4-wheel drive for quite some time but with the current gas prices, I'm especially happy with what I have now. It's also roomy enough and can transport my 17' kayak on the roof with no problem.

Reactions: yam
2005 Toyota Highlander. Like it a lot. Lost of room for my camping and fishing trips, "decent" (its all relative) gas mileage. Miss my mountaineer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.