What would you do for a Klondike Bar...the Pemi Loop 8-8-09!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurous

Reaction score
Thanks to HuiYeng (7summits)…this was the jingle that went through my head from Franconia Ridge until we reached Jen’s car at Lincoln Woods after completing the loop in a day.

Here’s how it started – HuiYeng wanted to do the Pemi Loop at some point this summer and Saturday the 8th looked like the perfect day in terms of weather. We recruited Jen (Nif) and booked our campsite at Waterest for the weekend. Beyond that, we didn’t do any planning – we all had reasons to believe that we would bail on the loop so it really just seemed like a dream that we all went along with. It would be the first time that any of us would do the Pemi Loop in a day.

Saturday 8/8/09 – A local rooster begins his wakeup call around 4am – an hour earlier than we wanted to wake up. At 5am the real alarm goes off and we start getting ready. We stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way to Lincoln Woods for some caffeine and carbs and we’re on the trail around 6:15. I think we were all still asleep on the flat walk to the Osseo Trail. We made good time up to the summit of Flume – stopping a few times to enjoy the views. Pictures and a quick snack on Flume and we were on our way to Liberty. The views on Liberty are fantastic and we couldn’t help snapping a few pictures – we got the orders…no lollygagging today :) We kept wondering when Farmer was going to pass us since we knew that he was supposed to be going for the record on this day – we never did see him. Either we missed him during our stop at the hut or he chose to do it on Sunday.

After we descended Liberty, HuiYeng was having hotspot issues. We stopped and bandaged her heels up in hopes that the hotspots wouldn’t turn into blisters. By the time we reached Little Haystack, one of the hotspots had already blistered. We took an extended snack break on Little Haystack and gave her heals some time to dry out. She taped them up again and decided that if they got worse by the time we got to Lafayette then she would call it a day.

Off we went to Lincoln and then on to Lafayette. We had the pleasure of running into Ed Hawkins and his group on the top of Lafayette. We chatted with them for a bit and hit the trail towards Garfield Ridge. HuiYeng’s feet were still doing well so it looked like we were going to do the Pemi Loop. I found the section between Lafayette to South Twin to be the most difficult. The Garfield Ridge Trail is very rugged and has more PUD’s than I can count. This section slowed all of us down. On the way to Garfield, we were in need of a snack and stopped near Garfield Pond for some much needed refueling. Jen looked at the map and let us know that it was only a short distance to the summit. We hit the trail again and were soon at the summit of Garfield - #5/8 of the 4k’s on the Pemi Loop – we didn’t go for the extra bells and whistles (Galehead and West Bond) this time.

Next stop – Galehead Hut – just under 3 miles from Garfield. On the way down from Garfield, we ran into Yvon and Annie who were headed up to Garfield. We chatted for a few minutes on continued on. There were still a lot of PUD’s but it wasn’t as rugged as the previous section. There were some muddy sections along the ridge but nothing major. By the time we reached the hut, we were very hungry and almost out of water. We refilled our water and happily paid the $2 for the endless bowl of potato soup that they were serving. Man did that hit the spot.

On the trail again – we had the last big climb ahead of us. The .8 miles up to South Twin – it’s a relentless climb especially after coming over Garfield Ridge. It seemed to take forever but in actuality, it took us less than 30 minutes. The extra water and full bellies didn’t help the climb. We continued on the Twinway – next stop was the Bond Trail. Thinking about the Pemi Loop in it’s entirety can be very overwhelming so we just set small goals all day. It felt more achievable that way.

We needed to make up the time that we lost on the Garfield Ridge and the Bonds were the place to do it. We were soon at the Bond Trail and then at the Guyot Shelter. We opted not to stop for a snack and continued up to Bond. There were dozens of teenagers on top so we didn’t stay long – just long enough for a snack.

Now off to Bondcliff – coming down Bond was very rocky so I took it slow. I didn’t need to get injured at this point in the day. Once at the col, the rest of the climb had better footing. We arrived at the summit to find two guys enjoying their views. We talked with them for a little while, took some pictures and were on our way. We were hungry and just wanted to get back to the car at this point. Aches, pains and hotspots began to surface on the way down the Bondcliff trail. All of us had knee pains, hotspots on our hands from holding the trekking poles all day and different foot issues. We couldn’t wait to reach the flat Wilderness Trail. Sections of the Bondcliff trail were very muddy – this was definitely the muddiest part of the whole loop.

Once on the Wilderness trail we picked up the pace – we didn’t want the pizza places to be closed and I still wanted a Klondike Bar. After all, that tune was still going through my head. I said if I could get a dollar for every time the jingle went through my head, I’d be a millionaire. HuiYeng said I’d have to split it with her since she was the one that put the jingle in my head. As annoying as it was, it kept my feet moving.

It was getting dark in the woods and our target was the Osseo Trail – we didn’t want to stop for our headlamps until then. We passed a backpacker and his dog and asked how far it was – he informed us that it was right around the corner and indeed it was. We put our headlamps on and continued the remaining 1.4 miles to the car. I don’t know what we wanted more…taking our shoes off or a Pizza. We got back to the car, dropped our packs, took our shoes off and headed over to Lincoln for Pizza. We must have missed Darlene by 5 minutes – she went to Lincoln Woods to bring us food and beer but we had already left. She ended up meeting us at the pizza place where we ate most of the food that she brought and then ¾ of the pizza.

It felt really good to complete the loop - it was the first time for all three of us. As always – Jen was an awesome pacesetter and always had encouraging words when they were needed. The loop was a blast especially with such great company. I will say – I will be happy to never go across Garfield Ridge again. HuiYeng – thanks for recruiting us to join you!!!!

My pictures: http://adventurous-.smugmug.com/gallery/9220844_2i3qE#615682782_ypGDT

Last edited:
Long Day

Nice job!

I had planned to do the western half of the loop as a two-nighter (Garfield Ridge TS and Liberty Spring TS), but now I feel like a wimp :eek:

Hmmm... perhaps I need to be more ambitious if I want to be able to hold my head up amongst this crowd :)

Congrats again,

Steve

Very cool! I heard rumors that you two (didn't know Jen was on board) were doing a Pemi Loop this past weekend! Excellent job!

-Dr. Wu

Hooray!

A job well done, ladies! I wish I could have joined you (I was doing some lame-o hike in the ADKs:p) but now that you know you can do it, I should have no trouble getting you to come along with me, right??

Hey! I saw you on Garfield Ridge (I was brushing out the trail). I thought I recognized 7Summits from her trip reports here. I would have chatted, but you guys were cruising right along!

Nice job :)

The .8 miles up to South Twin – it’s a relentless climb especially after coming over Garfield Ridge. It seemed to take forever but in actuality, it took us less than 30 minutes. The extra water and full bellies didn’t help the climb.

Tell me about it! This stretch killed me the last time I did the Pemi because I totally overdosed on Galehead Hut brownies... felt like I was going to die the entire way up to South Twin.

Congratulations to all three of you on a successful loop. :)

Wicked awesome - nice pics too. Hope the feet healed up OK...and I have to ask...did you ever get the Klondike bars? (if I didn't ask about the ice cream you know JayH would have)

Way to go! I don't know if I'll ever do a Pemi loop but I have lots of inspiration.
You've done a Presi Traverse (recently). It's just more walkin'. Pemi Loop Madness! It's great because more and more people are challenging themselves to do bigger and better things! Way to keep the inspiration going!

-Dr. Wu

Good job guys!!!!
guess its the hike of the summer. mine turn will be in a few weeks!
cant wait to check out the photos so i know what to expect!

Good job! Nice to meet you guys (briefly) on Lafayette!

After hiking 31 miles, I still haven't gotten my Klondike bar yet, but I do got to spend a nice day in the woods with Jen and Kim. And checked off one of the hike that I've long wanted to do.

To me, the hardest section was hiking up South Twin; the most discouraging section was between Garfield to Galehead hut, it was just looooong and the last stretch up after the Gale River Trail junction was just not cool. The section between Lafayette and Garfield wasn't bad, I think the break we had at the Garfield pond did help. Once we got to South Twin, I was in much better spirit, the ridge walks are always rewarding on a nice day like the day we had. Despite being a long and tiring hike (to me anyway), I loved every minute of it, got to hike two magnificence ridges, Franconia and Bonds, in a gorgeous day, what not to love.

IMG_9655.JPG

Thanks Kim and Jen for your company! Great seeing Yvon, Annie, Ed and his group. What a nice day to be out on the mountain!!

Pictures. Enjoy!

BTW, the blisters weren't as bad as those I got from Baxter. I guess those skins do get thicker. (I hope!)

Last edited:
Someday I will find that rooster and eat it.Nice job folks.

That was discussed, however we agreed that the darn thing would be scrawny and tough, so we're gonna leave it for you :p

Nice to meet, or sorta meet in many cases, everyone out there on the trail and thanks for all the posts.

It was a good day on the ridges with friends and not too shabby no expectations hike. Unfortunately the galehead hut was out of brownies, so we had to tank up on the soup instead.....salted it down quite heavily too.....

Don't think we could have asked for a better day :D

Very big congrats to you three! Nice hike on a perfect looking day. Great TR and sweet pics as well! An inspiration to how I can spend time on both of my favorite places in one day! Need to skip a few steaks first to get in any kind of shape to do that one though!;)