What would you do?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tycho_32

Reaction score
It looks like I can only do one hike this weekend. My hiking buddy and I are trying to choose between The Kinsmans and Isolation. Which hike would you do? Thanks for your input.

Since it looks like there's going to be showers all weekend I would do the Kinsmans. Save Isolation for a clear day when you can enjoy the view. And besides, if you take the Rocky Branch trail to Isolation all the stream crossings would definitely be tricky right now.

TenPeaks said:
Since it looks like there's going to be showers all weekend I would do the Kinsmans. Save Isolation for a clear day when you can enjoy the view. And besides, if you take the Rocky Branch trail to Isolation all the stream crossings would definitely be tricky right now.

Recommend doing the Kinsmans, the water levels on the Rocky Branch could be a problem for you, just way too much water. Besides the views off Isolation are great, save it for a better day.....

isolation

It looks like the weather is not going to be that good this weekend.
if that were infact the case, I think I would do isolation.
I don't recall the view from isolation being superior to the view you can get from the kinsman ridge. I would save the kinsmans for a better day.

however, I would check into the river crossing situations.

+ think about all the people you would'nt see by avoiding kinsmans this weekend. ;)

IMO, both Isolation and the Kinsmans have nice views. However, given how wet things are right now, the Kinsmans via Fishin Jimmy's Tr is probably a better route than Isolation via Rocky Branch Tr. RBT is frequently rather muddy in normal weather--must be mud city now--and has several potentially serious stream crossings. Isolation via Davis Path (deep snow from the south, don't know about from the north) might be a better than RBT. (A bridge on Dry River Tr is out, so no go via DRT.)

Report on RBT: http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/3511.html

Report on DP south: http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/3510.html

Doug

There is a new report over in Q&A on "Boot Spur or Glen Boulder conditions?".

Clear up Boot Spur Tr up to treeline.

Thus the clearest route to Isolation might be Davis Path via Boot Spur Tr or Glen Boulder Tr.

I'd still save it for (or go back in) better weather...

Doug

flip a coin on the mountains - I like mr x's plate being a slayer fan myself - PM me if you want a soundboard copies of the hell awaits and south of heaven tours.

listening to grave right now.

hail the metal of death!!

Kinsman's between water crossings & view, Isolation better off on good day when crossings are known to be easier.

kinsmans- not only are there rivers crossings on isolation, but the trail is a brook from the first height of land down to rocky branch

SherpaKroto said:
Kinsmen AND Cannonballs. Why not? You know you want to! It's not that much longer, and makes a sweet near loop. Head up the Cannon Balls first and across to the Kinsmen.

If you do the Cannonballs, watch out on the northeast one. Last Saturday, the mud was knee-deep at the top. I can only imagine what a mess it must be by now.