What's the most reliable piece of gear you've ever owned?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
Never posed a question like this on VFTT, but I'm curious. We have different generations on here with different interests. Of any outdoor pursuit, which piece of gear has served you longest and best?

For me, it's a hand-me-down Svea 123

Sound off!

My Serrota Atlanta (road bicycle frame), Reynold 531 tubes (steel) is 10 years and 35,000 +/- miles this year.

It has survived half a dozen wheel sets, two complete drive trains plus numerous partial drive trains, and about 10 computers ;) I've ridden in rain, snow, sleet, and mud. It has rust spots and chips, but it is still solid and trustworthy.

I haven't put enough hours on the hiking gear yet. My Osprey-32L pack, new last June, used ~12 times, has some pretty good wear and fraying already...

Tim

My legs. :D

All the gear I bought in the 70's was ultra-reliable and lasted forever (almost). The gear I buy now tends to only last for a little while. The corkscrew on my Swiss army knife is pretty good though.

Neil said:
You didn't buy your legs.

I have that beach hat that I always wear hiking. I bought it when I was a teenager and needed to use it for something. Anyone that has ever hiked with me (including winter) knows that stupid beach hat.

I have grubby hiking clothes too that have lasted a long time. The secret, I think, is to never wash them.

-Dr. Wu

My trusty Kelty Redwing backpack. I mde the mistake once of buying a Wally world special backpack when I first started hiking. It lasted two trips when, just below the summit of Monadnock, it broke on me. I vowed to buy the best backpack regardless of cost. Many people suggested the Kelty, and here we are, hundreds of miles later, and I could not be happier with it. So much so that I bought a second one to use as a hunting backpack because I have problems finding decent ones for that too!

Brian

Serotta Colorado!!

bikehikeskifish said:
My Serrota Atlanta (road bicycle frame), Reynold 531 tubes (steel) is 10 years and 35,000 +/- miles this year.

It has survived half a dozen wheel sets, two complete drive trains plus numerous partial drive trains, and about 10 computers ;) I've ridden in rain, snow, sleet, and mud. It has rust spots and chips, but it is still solid and trustworthy.

I haven't put enough hours on the hiking gear yet. My Osprey-32L pack, new last June, used ~12 times, has some pretty good wear and fraying already...

Tim

Hey Tim!! Serotta Rocks. I have had my steel Serotta for almost 15yrs and still love it more than my Ti bike or anything else. Yup, it has survived all kinds of weather, group rides, even bushwhacks and nasty crashes when I used to race...
As for hiking gear, I guess I am most impressed w/ my heart ! It just loves those mountains -

I can tell you that it ain't my knees. Maybe the titanium ones will do better.

It might be my Svea and feul bottle which I bought in '71. I still use both. Other gear, which is as old or older has been lost... might still be working for someone else, but I don't know.

My Raichle Palue boots - been resoled 3 times - thank you Dave Page.

A close second is my favorite hammer - not that I take it hiking much, but it's used outdoors! Bought it during summer school in college (late '60's) for building a sailfish. Don't have the boat any longer, but do have the hammer - True Value. Been thru a couple of handles, and it's still the best balanced hammer I've ever picked up. It probably could take the dents out of Pete's feul bottle.

Last edited:
My Buck Pathfinder knife that my dad gave me in 1964. It's as much good luck charm as tool, and it comes along on every trip, even though it's a little on the heavy side. Unlike my Swiss Army knife, it can actually cut things more dense than peanut butter.

Pete_Hickey said:
...It might be my Svea and feul bottle which I bought in '71...
Me too, same vintage.
Also, since someone mentioned their bike, I'm still riding my Lotus road bike that I bought in 1981 or 1982.
BTW, I'm not "cheap", I'm "fiscally responsible". :eek:

It occurred to me last night that I have a Penn Senator 113H (old generation -- steel drum) which is 15 years old, and has caught, literally, many thousand fish. Mostly cod and haddock, but tuna, stripers, and lots of bait. It also occurred to me why it is reliable - it is of simple, proven design, made from quality parts, easy to maintain (clean, oil, grease) and replacement parts (springs, drag washers, screws) are readily available. In today's made-in-China, disposable economy, that is rare.

bikehikeskiFISH

My transportation

My 1980 Limmer Standards are all I have hiked in all over the World. Four sets of re-soles, and another pair of Standards on order.....

On my AT thru next year I am going to bounce-box the Limmers and some trailrunners.

I'm not sure what the most reliable piece of gear would be.. I have stuff that is old, but perhaps not used as much as other pieces which may be newer but beat up as hell..

Strange enough, one of my most reliable pieces of gear is my set of Komperdell Hiking poles. First pair of poles I've owned that I got from STP and they are still in great shape. All the paint have been scarred and the bottom part of one of the poles is slightly bent but they are light and great.

One of my most unreliable pieces of gear is my Garmin Vista. Damm clickstick doesn't work half the time and I don't trust it's waterproofness...

Jay