What's the oldest piece of gear you own and still use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Karimor Alpiniste rucksack that's been my primary backpack for over 20 years. And my 20 year old 20 degree EMS mummy sleeping bag is enjoying a second life as part of my son's camping gear.

oh yeah. some ramer "adjustable" backcountry ski poles. you can only really adjust by a primitve push button thing so you only really have three adjustments. anyone remember ramer ski gear? they made one of the original avalanche beacons in the US too. :) :) :) :)

Svea 123 stove - it's about 35 years old and still goin strong...
+1
mine's REALl old too, tho i've only owned it 12-15 years or so (picked it up at a garage sale). still works perfect, albeit loudly! :D

When I was about 12-13 years old, I purchased an old frame pack from a small local outdoor gear store that was going out of business. (The pack was an older model at the time, so I would guess it's probably about 25 years old now.) I don't recall the manufacturer at the moment, but anyway, I paid $12 for it at the time. The bag is an unbelievably ugly red, white and blue random stars and stripes pattern and the frame is now bright cherry red. Over the years I've replaced the hip-belt, re-painted the frame, had the pack bag itself repaired, and extended the frame vertically to hold more gear back when I was young and stupid and carried waaaaay too much gear.
I usually go ultra-light now, but on the trips where I want to carry my climbing equipment I still use it.

Last edited:
My List (Partial)

Mrs. Grumpy and I regularly use a two-burner Coleman (white) gas stove that now is at least 50 years old. I often carry a knife that belonged to my father and which probably is nearly my own age, dating from the mid 1940s. Hudson’s Bay pattern axe, about 36 years old. A wool muffler that dates back to 1962 (44 years old). Some Nalgene poly water bottles in 30-35 years of age range. Our pair of Eddie Bauer down filled mummy style sleeping bags (that zip together for coziness) dates to 1971 (that's 35 years), and still see use.

We have a lot of still useful stuff dating to 1971-72. That was my first year "out" following a four-year hitch in the US Air Force, and Mrs. G and I celebrated my return to civilian life and better wages by satsifying pent up demand for nicer hiking-camping gear.

In our collection there is a delightful Alpine Designs teardrop-shaped “summit pack” with stout leather bottom and leather shoulder straps (lined and padded with felt) that still gets regular use. It dates to about 1971, making it 35 years in service. (A few years ago I finally retired my Euro-style rucksack by Alpine Designs, of similar vintage and similarly constructed with leather bottom and straps, in favor of something with a more modern suspension system.)

Once upon a time Mrs. G and I chuckled about knowing we were approaching maturity because just about everything we owned was getting to be at least 20 years old. That’s looking like less of a joke all the while . . ..

G.

Last edited:
Down Parka

I still use a North Face Down Parka, circa 1971, which has seen some repairs, but is still my lightest, warmest option for winter backpacking.
Ed

I always carry a vintage WWII knife given to me some 40 years ago. It is seriously sharp and has cut everything from seriously sharp chedder cheese to balsam boughs for an unplanned bivouac. It has fileted trout and sliced fresh tomatoes.

I hate to admit it but my xc skis (Trak) are over 30 years old as are my bamboo ski poles. Bought new Fisher skis at an REI sale recently but the old ones, after repairing a minor delamination, are still serviceable.

My shoulderpads for hockey. They are passed down from my dad. Work much better for non-contact hockey than what is available today. All the hockey equipment out there is crazy these days!!!

-percious

1972 Camp Trails "Lake Cruiser" external Frame Pack - It is still in pretty good shape, though I got another external frame to replace it in the early 90's. I still take out out on an occasional overnight.

1977 Camillus Stainless Steel pocketknife (2 blades, awl, screwdriver, openers and such). Got it when I enlisted in '77. I will pass it down to my son.

1977 External Frame Kelty pack. Its still the most comfortable pack I've found for hauling my skis up to Tuckerman's ravine, and that combined with my 195 cm skis and graying hair give me a hopelessly retro look..

My old wool sweater. It goes with me on every winter hike, and is the first thing I put on if I get really cold - a must for above treeline. It fits under my fleece, so it's quite comfortable. Has holes in the elbows and armpits, is threadbare, and is closely guarded because of family members who keep trying to throw it away behind my back.

I got it from my dad about 6 or 8 years ago. He wore it for a number of years, after rescuing it from the trash when the local game warden threw it away. The game warden wore it for who knows how long, and obviously thought it was worn out. I am here to testify that it is not.

As I drift gently toward geezerhood I find I have a lot of stuff piled in the garage that hasn't seen a trail for decades. Let's face it, gear becomes obsolescent, gear wears out, gear goes out of style--remember those old day-glo orange backpacks? I've still got one!

Anyway, I have and still occasionally use: An external frame Camp Trails pack (blue, *not* orange) from around 1980, cross country skis from 1975 (with new boots and bindings, however), a Svea 123 stove from the late '60's, a 50 or 60 year old Schrade pocketknife that once belonged to my father, and a WW1 era lighter given to me by my father-in-law.

porky pine

The oldest thing I have with me all the time is my backup compass which is over 50 years old

I had a French Army surplus pack that impressed Pete Fish but I bought it used, along with snowshoes, Mouse boots, etc.

A lot of my stuff is 30 years old

Oldsmores said:
My Svea 123 stove - it's about 35 years old and still going strong.

Ditto on all counts. It's ancient in appearance and design, and people frequently smirk or roll their eyes when I pull it out. Its only virtues are that it's utterly reliable and fast lighting in all conditions -- other than that it's not much of a stove. :D

For me, it's my Lowe Alpine internal frame top-loading pack. Don't know the model - I've long forgotten and there's no ID on the pack. It's still comfortable, carries all my stuff (and I tend to overpack in all seasons) and I've had to replace only the sternum strap after about 32 years. There are signs of wear on the bottom and the lid and a little bit on the sides. The inside of it does have a bit of an "aroma" which I can cut down with baking soda and Febreze.

Handknit Icelandic wool sweater that I bought in Iceland in 1979. I think I paid about $50. You can't find a machine knit Icelandic for less than $200 now.
Very warm-very heavy!

My brain.
Oh wait, you also said "...and still use?"
Scratch that.

You guys are nuts. I threw out all my old crap and upgraded!!!!! The new stuff is lighter, warmer and overall better!!! Perhaps this should be relabelled the "sentimental gear" thread... Can't bear to toss it...

That's what Normie would have done...