What's the weather like your way?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
As I sit here in Maine with the rain pouring down and the temperature around 48*, it is exactly at a time like this that I wonder what is happening farther west.

Any beta from Lincoln, Franconia, Crawford Notch, passage over the Kanc or snow at any elevation would be much appreciated.

Saturday's a coming, just wondering what to expect.

Thanks. :)

Pouring rain in Campton (near Waterville Valley) last night and this morning. More rain coming, possibly turning into snow above 2000 feet.

I'd bring the microspikes or their equivalent, and avoid water crossings.

Mt Abraham Vt

Does anyone know what it's going to be like around and on Mt Abraham Vt Friday and more importantly Saturday?

Dream Farmer is on his way, alone. I know what the internet sites are saying but I'm not confident in their accuracy.

Last edited:
At 10 AM this morning, there was "mixed precip" at 4300' on the MW Auto Road , no accumulation at that point, surface just wet. Above that was white: snow, rime, glaze icing, freezing fog ( all the usual suspects).

Overnight seems to be a "problematic" forecast for wind speeds, temperatures, moisture/QPF and some ( IMHO) early MET's hype. The wrap-around flow from this front could have some real punch, and may not be fully known until it happens.

Trish is the second person in the last couple of hours to bring up the " posssible snow @ 2000 ft elevations", and the other one was a co-worker who lives in Berlin NH.

If you go to the NWS webpage and put zip code 03589 in the search box, you will still be scratching your head.

Water? Boo ya. Plenty of it, roaring. The Peabody was near to bank-full at 10 AM from the MWAR to the bridge at Stony Brook, as was every freshet and feeder. No doubt it was the same through Crawford, the Kanc, and the Pemi.

Saturday 10/16 is going to be a WYSIWYG ( When You Get There) day.

This weather system initiated some recall and BS hoo hah conversation about 10-25-05 among those of us who were there at the time, but BS is just BS.

Check the MWOBS website in the morning, especially the Vertical Temp Profile. All of those sensors are on the AR and East side, they get the sun first.

All that to say , I'll <like> Trish, traction in the pack and avoid swimming.

Breeze

Last edited:
WCAX showed as view from Mansfield at noon. There was a pretty even snow covering over the rocks and some of the trees.

The ground was pretty saturated from last weeks rain event and the trees are not taking up as much water now that the leaves have dropped so there should be more run off.

FWIW I dont see a lot of clear blue skys in the mountains Saturday but the views of the summits could be good saturday evening with some white to keep the tourists happy, I am hoping it will straighten out by Sunday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what it's going to be like around and on Mt Abraham Vt Friday and more importantly Saturday?

Dream Farmer is on his way, alone. I know what the internet sites are saying but I'm not confident in their accuracy.

Meteorologists rate with Dr. House, they don't REALLY know " it isn't lupus" until they KNOW EXACTLY < what else> . No offense to meteorologists, but Mother Nature is not always completely rational and she likes to throw things. Especially above 4000 feet.

Aye weatherman. Will it be Killington, Jay, Sugarbush or Sunday River or ( pssst wildcat) ???? The race is on........ and historically this is still pretty early for any of them to open and maintain.

" the weather is broke and I can't fix it" ( Neil )

Breeze

snow?!!! hmmm... southeastern Whites area has received lots of warm rain and rivers are running very high, almost like spring melt. Bog areas are very full as well.

happy trails :)

Looks like the East Branch in Lincoln crested at around 3000 cfs about noontime on Friday, so that is not too bad, at least considering how hard the rain came down in the area. But, may want to wait until Sunday before tackling major stream crossings?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=01074520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00062,72020

Does one cross it via the long trail from the south up to Abraham? This is his intended path.

If anyone sees a big guy on Abraham or Ellen tell him Little Rickie says hello and for him to go someplace warm pronto!

Abe

Little Ricky, if you're still looking at this and still planning on Abe tomorrow (Saturday), it's raining now at my house at about 1700' but at 3800 on Mansfield it's 30 degrees and snowing with several inches on the ground. If you're doing Abe via the LT from the south I'd guess you'd have snow sometime before the Battell Shelter, and it could be very tricky or impossible to get up Lincoln Gap Road to the trail crossing, though probably not too long a walk if you need to just stuff the car. Doesn't sound like a peachy day tomorrow, in any case, but probably a go if you're into self flaggelation and have he right kit.
John

Little Ricky, if you're still looking at this and still planning on Abe tomorrow (Saturday), it's raining now at my house at about 1700' but at 3800 on Mansfield it's 30 degrees and snowing with several inches on the ground. If you're doing Abe via the LT from the south I'd guess you'd have snow sometime before the Battell Shelter, and it could be very tricky or impossible to get up Lincoln Gap Road to the trail crossing, though probably not too long a walk if you need to just stuff the car. Doesn't sound like a peachy day tomorrow, in any case, but probably a go if you're into self flaggelation and have he right kit.
John

I didn't go. Call me a wimp. DF is going out on his own and this is a new mt and trail for him so I just checking things out. He brought winter gear and snow shoes.

if you're into self flaggelation and have he right kit.

He is and he does. :)

Washington is reporting 6" or so with significant drifting. We are heading to Mt. Abraham in VT. to check it out. Damn, left my skis in Maine.