Where were you when??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Yes, saturday was one of those days that should go down in the annals of history along with 9/11 and JFK's assination. For those who weren't able to get out, it was about as perfect a day in the Whites as I have ever seen, and being a mostly a fair weather hiker I have seen my share of good days. This day was just fantastic and will forever be engrained in my memory. 100% sun, visibility seemed endless (I think I caught a glimps of the Eiffel Tower -ok maybe I am exaggerating a little there but you get the point), just the slightest breeze and still plenty of snow above 3500 feet.

Coming down 302 the northern side of the Presidential's just glimmered in the sunrise. It looked as if the entire west side were wrapped in aluminum foil.

The day's plan was modest, Crawford Path to Pierce and then Webster Cliff over to Jackson and down Webster-Jackson Trail. Truthfully it was ambitious, for me, until I met a couple VFTT'ers in the Mt Clinton parking area who were headed off to Washington and returning. After hearing their plans, I figured I'd go with modest. Oh, to be young again!!! I hope they had a nice safe trip. I did spot a couple folks heading up the Washington Cone when I was on Jackson and I wondered if it was them. My binoculars were not powerful enough to really zoom in.

The lower half of Crawford Path was clear and dry. The night had been cold and the ground was crunchy but firm. Gibbs Falls was just a trickle of what I have seen in the past, evidence of just how dry the winter had been. Except for a couple woodpeckers the woods were otherwise devoid of noise except for my crunching feet and of course heavy breathing.

It had been a few years since I had been on this section of the Crawford Path. I couldn't help but reflect on what it must have been like for the Crawford's and the early treker's so many years ago. Growing old tends to do that to me. Things I could have cared less about 20 years ago can keep me occupied for hours at a time now-a-days. I wished there were a time machine I could jump into and journey back a hundred and fifty years, maybe take a hike with Abel and Ethan and at least say thanks for this wonderful gift.

Spots of ice and snow gradually turned to steady snow and ice. Since I had three sets of traction devices with me I figured it was time to be safe and put something on. I went with the least agressive, carbide spike pair. What a difference. Light weight and just enough bite to make me feel like there was still some bounce in the old legs. The snow pack gradually increased and at the Alpine Zone sign there was at least a couple feet still on the ground and the path probably had even more. The snow was still crunchy, but softening. Foot travel was relatively fast. Breaking out of the woods the views of Washington's south and west side was spectacular. It looked like a huge snow cone.

The trek down Webster Cliff Trail to Mitzpah was a mix of ice and snow. The sun still hadn't hit the trail and at times the snow pack was deep enough my head was near the tops of the trees. The descent to Mitzpah was very icy and though I considered upgrading the traction on several occassions I continue with the spikes. Why is it we all think about it but never do it??

Mitzpah was all closed up. Drifted snow was still piled along the north side but most of the rest of the clearing was snow free. I began to reflect again. I missed the chatter of the summer crowd. The crunch of another hiker brought me back to the present. He was heading north to Monroe. We exchanged pleasantries and commented on the weather and went our separate ways.

Travel was good until just before the Jackson cone. Snow depths seemed greater and the snow was softening and I post holed a couple times. I ran into a couple guys heading north and step aside to let them pass. The taller of the two postholed just as we were exchanging pleasantries and sunk up to his crotch. I immediately thought, so that's why God made crotches, for postholing. Otherwise we'd just keep going down and down and down. Immediately he went from 6'3" to 5' and I just couldn't resist calling him "shorty". He made a couple half hearted efforts to extricate himself but without poles he seemed doomed. Seizing on this entrepreneurial moment I offered him a helping hand along with a $25 price tag. We both chuckled a bit and he asked if I took Visa. I do but my damn cell phone wasn't equipped to take the card. Damn it, another one gets away with a freebie. When am I going to learn.

I couldn't get over the snow along this section. There had been considerable postholing and I checked the deeper ones just to make sure no one was stuck. Reaching the Jackson cone I was in for a bigger surprise. I remember it being steep but I didn't remember it being this steep. Amazing what snow pack will do. Though the snow covered trail had been nice to this point, looking up made wish for a nice rocky/root covered trail. It was obvious that most of the traffic had been headed down and not up. There were many glissading paths but not any steps. Luckily the snow had softened and digging steps was not to bad. Slow and labor intensive, but not bad. Another freebie for anyone who followed me. Your welcome.

The views of Washington from Jackson were great. There was not a sole on the summit and hardly a breeze. A definite shirt sleeve day. The spring that was in the step half way up the Crawford Path was yielding to lead in the boots. I was hoping it was the 2 oz stabilizers, which I hoped to be shedding soon, but in reality I knew it was father time who had hitched another ride. A light lunch and an advil and I was off down the Jackson Webster Trail.

Thankfully the top ledges of the WJ trail were clear of ice and snow but damn it was steep. I thought several times about taking the stabilizers off, but didn't. Funny how that works. If anyone has figured it out, please let me know why we do that? I also thought about some of the early winter threads I read from those looking for information on easy winter 4 k hikes. It seems so many suggested Jackson. I had thought back then that I didn't think Jackson was that easy a hike, especially the cone and years haven't changed that fact, even with a nice four foot snow pack.

WJ was very shaded and there was considerable ice all the way to the stream crossings. The streams are very low which made for easy crossings. I just hope we get rain this spring or it may be a very dry season up north.

I am just grateful I picked this day. For those who were out, they know how nice it was. For those who couldn't make it, hopefully this week's TR will let you live it vicariously. Looking out my window this morning, I wish I were there today also.

Couple pics, snow pack on Crawford Path and Washington from Jackson.

I agree with you about the incredible day...did Flume/Liberty/little Haystack/lincoln/Lafayette and we could see for miles and miles (and miles)..will never forget how beautiful it was...

Kerry, your view of Washington was a lot better then mine from Monadnock. Then again any view of the Whites even from 80 miles is better then none.

brianW

ps interested in Gap maybe this Thursday afternoon?

Nice pics. Yes, damn nice out this weekend. Too bad I had a long training run planned, so I couldn't hike. I was looking at the deep blue skies and thinking how awesome the visibility was going to be.

Any views of Katahdin or Marcy?

Great trip report, and yes it was a great day! We (sleeping bear and I) saw you in the parking lot. And we did make it to Washington and back, it was too great a day to pass up that hike! I was surprised at the amount of snow and ice on the trails down low...

Glad you had a nice trip!

Artex said:
Any views of Katahdin or Marcy?

Since I was on Pierce and Jackson I never even considered pointing the binoculars specifically in those directions. I know they are difficult to see from Washington on a good day and wonder if more elevation than what P and J afforded me were needed. Maybe some of the folks who were on Washington will chime in and let you know what they could see from there. Sorry!