Which 4-season Tent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave.m said:
IME, there is no need for a dedicated 4 season tent in New England

I agree, below treeline my 3-Season tent has always been fine.

So in Winter without a floor do you put your pad directly on the snow, or do you lay down some sort of ground sheet? Speaking of floors, what the heck is a "bathtub floor" ??

Kindest regards,
Shayne

spaddock said:
So in Winter without a floor do you put your pad directly on the snow, or do you lay down some sort of ground sheet? Speaking of floors, what the heck is a "bathtub floor" ??

I put my pad and bag both inside a Versatech sleeping bag cover. This helps keep spindrift from getting between my pad and bag where it would melt from body heat and pressure. This is not perfect though, as I do get some frost build up in the cover (unless I'm using a VB liner which is rare these days). I don't use a ground sheet in the winter with my 'Mid.

Bathtub floor means the waterproof material extends up the side of the tent wall. I think pretty much all tents use this design now. Makes for a cool waterbed effect when run-off rise under your tent. Makes for a horrific bathtub effect when somebody steps on the door sill in those conditions. See:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/trip-reports/sabbaday.txt

dave.m said:
I don't use a ground sheet in the winter with my 'Mid.
I find with my Megmid knockoff, that when I do use a plastic sheet as a ground cloth, all the snow that accumulates on the edges of the groundsheet during normal activities slide down to where I am sleeping during the night as warmth causes me to sink slightly into the packed snow beneath. I have to work hard at keep little bits of snow from coming onto the edges of the groundsheet then attacking me as I sleep.
dave.m said:
Bathtub floor means the waterproof material extends up the side of the tent wall. I think pretty much all tents use this design now....
Kelty and Sierra Designs have gone to an Arc Edge or raised seam, where the pitch of the tent causes the seam to rise up off the ground in the same effect as 4 people picking up a blanket with a small child on it - all the edges ride higher than the body(ies) in the center. I like these new seams much better than a bathtub floor that all my older tents have.

dave.m said:
Chip,
What sort of performance are you looking to gain with a 4 season tent?

this past weekend the recorded low in my Sierra Designs alpha CD was 49 degrees, 40 outside the tent, so that's good. We also didn't get the mice and sniffing coyote that the guys in the lean-to near us did. no spindrift, no wind. no sudden streams or puddles. As you can tell, I like tents. My non-expedition type camping is in the woods on the AT and ADK, mainly after it snows. I'm thinking my 3 season will work with the rest of my gear in all but the worst these woods can offer.

When looking to purchase a four season tent I feel more comfortable and confident buying a shelter with a proven track record like the TNF VE-25, Himalayan 47 or on the smaller size the Mountain 25 or the 36.

Chip said:
this past weekend the recorded low in my Sierra Designs alpha CD was 49 degrees, 40 outside the tent, so that's good. We also didn't get the mice and sniffing coyote that the guys in the lean-to near us did. no spindrift, no wind. no sudden streams or puddles. As you can tell, I like tents. My non-expedition type camping is in the woods on the AT and ADK, mainly after it snows. I'm thinking my 3 season will work with the rest of my gear in all but the worst these woods can offer.

I think there are 3, maybe 4, issues

1) Spindrift, Wind and Ventilation - On my floorless 'Mid, I generally bury the edges of the tarp/tent to seal out the wind and spindrift. This is very, very effective and has shaped how I use my 3 season tent in the winter. If you have a 3 season tent with loads of bug netting, you will need to bury the edge of the fly to seal out wind, otherwise you can expect spindrift to settle through the netting. If your 3 season tent has limited netting, you can bury the fly or not on your whim. Our old A-frame tents didn't have netting in the walls so we never bothered burying the fly on that tent in the winter. Some 3 season tents are more ammenable than other for this trick. TNF and Moss (now Marmot) typically have low slung flies that are easily buried in the snow. BIG WARNING - if you bury the edge of the fly, you must be double sure to use the door and other vents to keep clean air in the tent, especially if you are using a stove!!! I've seen folks get sick from CO so be very careful. This said, I can't see carrying the extra weight of a winter tent just on account of spindrift. But years of winter camping in a floorless tent have shaped my opinion here. I consider the fly on my 3 season tent to be sufficient for winter camping alone and consider the floor to be a (heavy) bonus regardess of the netting walls.

2) Snow loading - I think snow loading is more of an issue when snow storms and drifting can drop multiple feet of snow at a time. Its not unheard of for high altitude mountaineers to die in their tents buried by big snow. But I can't see that happening in the Northeast. IME, all tents do best when you stay on top of shoveling them out during snow storms. The ability to withstand snow seems to depend on 3 things: a) steep side walls, b) no flat surfaces on the roof c) number of poles. But these generalities are very hard to make. My single pole 'Mid collects snow at the flatter outer edges. Our 3 pole TNF frog tent collects it on the flat top and back. And I've seen so-called whimpy 2 pole hoop tents shed snow like a champ. Bottom line is this, no matter what tent you get, you'll want to shovel it out regularly if it is snowing hard.

3) Warmth - I think the biggest robber of warmth in a tent is drafts. After years of using a single walled 'Mid, I would rather have my 'Mid with the edges buried (sealing out the drafts) than a double walled tent without its edges buried. I've been in double walled tents enough that for me, I've concluded they don't provide enough warmth for the weight. I would rather put the extra ounces/lbs into a warmer sleeping bag and parka.

4) Frost - All tents frost up in the winter. I actually think the champs here are 3 season tents with lots of bug netting. The frost tents to collect on the fly and not in the tent. With non-netting tent walls, you can get frost on the tent liner. My 'Mid is very frosty but I don't care cause is just falls on the snow.

Floorless tents are certainly not for everybody. And they certainly are not the right choice if you are dealling with wet snow, imo. But if you do use a floored tent, I think you can do an awful lot in a 3 season tent.

"4) Frost - All tents frost up in the winter. I actually think the champs here are 3 season tents with lots of bug netting. The frost tents to collect on the fly and not in the tent. With non-netting tent walls, you can get frost on the tent liner. My 'Mid is very frosty but I don't care cause is just falls on the snow."

A properly vented single-wall, breathable tent has very, very limited frosting inside. Compare a VE25 (which we used once and it snowed worse IN the tent than outside) to the Biblers and it's a huge difference. While I'm leery of saying "never", I cannot ever recall any frosting inside. There is a science to it, and you have to use the tent properly, but frosting isn't a problem for me.

All of the North Face tents mentioned are first rate winter shelters, absolutely bomber construction but they are relatively heavy. The Mountain 25 is about 9 pounds, the VE-25 is about 11 pounds, the Mountian 35 (or 36) is about 12 pounds and the Himalyan 47 is close to 15 pounds.

I had a similar dilema years ago and had to decide between the NF VE-24, SD Stretch Dome Expedition and the MH Trango2. I read everything about the three and then went and looked at all three set up. I decided on the Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 and have not been disapointed at all. It does what I want the way I want it. If I were you, I'd go to a shop that sells all the ones you are considering and get them to set them up so you can really see what you're considering. Crawl around in them and then decide which one fits the bill for you. You won't go wrong with any of the ones you're considering.

I've winter camped solo below treeline in my quest seescape, a basic lightweight 2 pole A frame (similar to a S.D. Clip flashlight) with no problems. It held a minor snow load and vented nicely. I wouldn't bring it on a 2 week expedition, but for a weekend below treeline in the Whites, sure. It wouldn't hold 3 feet of snow, but how many people really go hiking if there is a major storm predicted? I agree, when you are at altitude an expedition tent is the way to go. But for most winter campers that I have seen in this area I have to agree with Dave, a 3 season tent is fine.

Last edited:
i do a lot of winter camping in motels. When camping outside, I been doing this for years and im not sold on these 'winter tents'. I bought a 30 dollar tent at sears that holds 2 people and never had a problem. If I were a rich man, I guess I'd go for one of these fancy ones..maybe.

All the tents mentioned are fine picks, I'm sure.
I'm assuming, that you narrowed it down to those three for a reason.
I would hold-out until, you hear from someone who has tested one of those tents, or check the reviews.
I could try to sell you on my 4-season tent, but I don't think it would do much good. :)

Good luck, Steve-0

[QUOTE=kaibar Here's a shot of my Bibler on Mt. Washington.

I like your pic so much I placed it on my desktop.
I have the Sierra Design AST but it has not been above treeline yet.
It's a great winter tent.

I like your pic so much I placed it on my desktop.

That is a great picture. You might want to PM kaibar or give him a green square, as that was posted last March.

Pink%20Sunrise.JPG

Campmor does a good job of classifying tents. As an example, they rate some 3 seasons as 3.5 season tents if they are properly constructed.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/iphrase.jsp?command=text&text=3.5+season

I have to admit I got a deal on my MH Trango 2 and spent less than $250. I have used it numerous time in the Daks and the Whites in winter to -20 degrees and have been above treeline with it too. When anchored well, it's bombproof. If I leave the two doors open about 4 inches it doesn't get the inside condensation and snowfall. One of the reasons I went with this instead of any other tent was the rear vestibule that makes storing packs easy. It really opens up the floor room. The gear attics also help keep things orderly and it's no problem to cook in the front vestibule. When I hit the Daks for an extended ice climbing trip I can take some extra time to prepare my tent area and dig down in the vestibule area so there is extra space and have even made a nice little bench the one year. Kinda like a sunken living room so to speak. Don't forget to get some snow/sand anchors when you do get a 4 season tent so it's easier to anchor.

I was with Kaibar for that trip. This was taken a quarter mile above Glen Boulder. We woke up on February 6th (my birthday) to temps in the low 30's, big sun, and little win. I hung out after breakfast in my shorts. Unbelievable day.