Which tent design?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4000'er

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a new Alps Mountaineering one person tent at a really good price.
Given a choice between these two tents, which would you choose?
Mystique%201%20fly.jpg
Mystique%201_thumb.jpg

Mystique 1 or
Taurus%201%20fly.jpg
Taurus%201_thumb.jpg

Taurus 1

Since they have roughly the same specs, I am more interested in your thoughts on the differences in the two designs. Is one design better than the other? The Taurus is freestanding, while the Mystique, I believe, is not.
Does that matter when setting up on a tent platform?

Chip said:
Get the free standing.
Ya heard the man :)

I have a Sierra Designs Lightyear CD that kind of has the same setup as the Mystique 1.... anyway, next tent I get will be freestanding and lighter than what I have - I already know which one too ;)

Setting up on tent platforms is always a pain, btw.

I'd 3rd for the free standing as it makes setting up so much easier, it's sturdier in heavy winds, and you don't need to double stake your tent in sandy soil.

I have an older Walrus that's free standing, but 0.5 pounds heavier than my microlight solo. I love the design as there is plenty of room for me and my pack, but it's starting to show its age and doesn't ventilate well in the summer heat.

I have also set the free-standing Walrus up in a shelter when the wind and sleet were driving right into the opening. There was no one else foolish enough to be on the trail so it wasn't a problem, but it did keep me nice and protected throughout the night. Just another bonus of the design.

Another vote for freestanding.Both my Walrus tents are freestanding.Never owned a tent that wasn't,and I would think a tent that wasn't would be a pain,particularly in winter.

I disagree. I would go with the NON-freestanding because...oh forget it. I tried to keep a straight face but I couldn't do it.

4000'er
I did gear testing for both these tents over the last couple of years (though it was the Mystique 1.5, that they sent me).

PM me with your email and I will try to find my comments spreadsheets that I forwarded back to ALPs.
I did like the freestanding design of the Taurus 1, but hands down, I liked the side doors, breathability and sturdiness of the Mystique.

Taurus 1.0 is so narrow and high that seemed to ebb back and forth sideways if winds came up. I also recommended that they (Alps) put additional stake-out Loops at the mid-points at the bottom sections of the fly on each side to enhance airflow and stop it from swaying to and fro in breezes.
Good Luck
Rick

Rick said:
4000'er
I did gear testing for both these tents over the last couple of years (though it was the Mystique 1.5, that they sent me).

PM me with your email and I will try to find my comments spreadsheets that I forwarded back to ALPs.
I did like the freestanding design of the Taurus 1, but hands down, I liked the side doors, breathability and sturdiness of the Mystique.

Taurus 1.0 is so narrow and high that seemed to ebb back and forth sideways if winds came up. I also recommended that they (Alps) put additional stake-out Loops at the mid-points at the bottom sections of the fly on each side to enhance airflow and stop it from swaying to and fro in breezes.
Good Luck
Rick
Well there you go ! :eek:
THAT may be the reason to buy the Mystique. Is does look like the fly should be staked out mid-way on the Taurus sides to keep it off the mesh. Good post, Rick ! The Taurus 1.5 may be more stable, being wider and the same length.

Not that you're looking for other suggestions, but for the weight, price, size and durabilty, I like my Kelty Teton alot.

BUT, since I carry hiking poles, my next tent purchase may be something like this, with the matching tarp.
Not free-standing, but pretty light for full coverage for 2 people.

Last edited:
In the freestanding vs. stake-out debate, freestanding is DEFINITELY the way to go, for the all the reasons stated above - each of set-up, plausibility of set-up in sandy or rocky areas, et cetera. I have a stake-out Walrus and, while it's a great tent otherwise, I'll never buy another a stake-out tent (or whatever the official term is). My REI 1/4 Dome replaced the Walrus.

Is the Mystique substantially taller? or just the photos? Taller can be a nice attribute, especially when tentbound for a time, or trying to change clothes.

Sounds like Rick might be Da Man for details on ALPS tents, otherwise.

In general, freestanding tents are almost always heavier than the non-freestanding, staked versions for a given square footage of living space. And to my taste, the freestanding one in the picture above is not my favorite style anyway. The crossover poles make sure that the only place you can sit up is in the exact center of the tent. I prefer to be able to sit near the entrance so that I can cook and access gear that is stored in the vestibule when the weather is wet or cold.
One style that I do like is the twin hoop design, the sidewalls are usually steeper (which means more shoulder room) and the doorway and vestibule usually are larger. You can find really lightweight versions at this site. I own the Cloudburst2 and it sets up fast (2 poles, 3 stakes) is is way lighter than any of my freestanders.
Yes, non-freestanding can be a pain to set up in some situations, I've had to use rocks and trees occasionally for anchors, but the weight savings is worth it, IMO.

Chas.

chas said:
Yes, non-freestanding can be a pain to set up in some situations, I've had to use rocks and trees occasionally for anchors, but the weight savings is worth it, IMO.

Chas.
Actually, upon further review (saw that the Taurus is 1lb heavier) I'll have to agree with Chas. I would have to go with the Mystique if I had to chose between the two.
Weight to me is a priority and I will never again not cough up the dough when it comes to upgrading my gear.
Next tent I get is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 - 2lbs 13oz freestanding
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?id=sh1sl

CB, I think you're looking at the Taurus 1.5 on the weight. The Taurus 1 is 3lb 11oz vs the Mystique at 3lb 6oz. The Taurus 1 also has 3 sq ft more tent area than the Mystique. In this example 5 oz is not enough saved weight for a non-freestanding, for me, IMHO, YRMV, etc...

Having said that I just took delivery of a Big Agnes Seedhouse, the regular 2 person one, though, not the 1 person SL. The 2 person Seedhouse I have is about 4 lbs, same as my Teton, but the Seedhouse is roomier.

Last edited:
Chip said:
CB, I think you're looking at the Taurus 1.5 on the weight. The Taurus 1 is 3lb 11oz vs the Mystique at 3lb 6oz. The Taurus 1 also has 3 sq ft more tent area than the Mystique. In this example 5 oz is not enough saved weight for a non-freestanding, for me, IMHO, YRMV, etc...

Having said that I just took delivery of a Big Agnes Seedhouse, the regular 2 person one, though, not the 1 person SL. The 2 person Seedhouse I have is about 4 lbs, same as my Teton, but the Seedhouse is roomier.
Oh, I didn't even notice that there were two... you are correct :eek:

Soooo, I'll correct to say that the freestanding Taurus 1 is a pretty good deal over the Mystique. ;)

Excellent buy on the Seedhouse!! The SL1 and SL2 both beat the competition - you can't easily find this combination of floor space, head room, weight, and freestanding ability out there :)

An update on the ALPs Orion/Taurus - For many years I've used an REI Sololite, which is light and study, but not freestanding. When I saw that REI was having a great deal on the Alps Orion ($64.93), I decided to sell my Sololite on eBay and purchase the Orion, a freestanding tent. It arrived today, and is now labeled the Taurus, so I think the Orion is the previous version. The newer version has a different color fly (pale green). From what I've seen, it will serve me better, as it has more headroom than the Sololite. This tent is still available at REI Outlet.

So Kevin....where does Brutus sleep???:confused:
I just had to buy REI half-dome 4 person tent because Bernie and Kodi are way too big for even a 2 person tent.
Overnight backpacking is out with those two.

Maddy said:
So Kevin....where does Brutus sleep???:confused:
To use the old joke "The Brutasaur sleeps wherever he wants to!" Seriously - we've done tons of day hikes, but no overnights. I'm not a big backpacking fan, only doing it when it's necessary to reach a peak. One of these days I'll do the PCT, or at least that part of it that's the John Muir Trail as it's practically in my back yard, but that's few years away.