Which VFTT members also AT hikers???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Section hiker, quite a bit of the NY to MA section as well as a small section up in NH, I also do trail maintenance work as well at the RPH shelter for an annual work weekend.

The current plan is to Thru hike in 2008.

Catch you later...
Kevin

Section Hiker 1988-2002
Started on Springer Mtn 10/30/88.
Finished on Katahdin 8/3/02.
Longest Trip was 1999 - Started at NY 17A Greenwood Lake on 8/21 and finished on the Lyme-Dorchester Rd by the Ski Area on 9/11.

Thru-hiked the AT 1/2 in 2001, and the other half in 2002. Great experience. Lots of great people out there.

I've only been on the AT three times in my life, once in Mass/CT, and a couple times on the Harriman/Bear Mt. section. I look forward to hiking more of it in the future. Just wanted to mention something to the original poster, though. Doodles, if you ever go over to Poughkeepsie EMS, there are two AT guys that work there. Walter has completed a thru-hike and Tim did a pretty large chunk-I believe Georgia to NY. Tim is also a maintainer.

Matt

GA - ME
Class of 2005!!!

(just thinking of this time last year, my stomach was filled with butterflies!!)

AT GA to ME 87. I would do it again in a minute if it wasn't for that family, money, work, mortgage, health insurance thing!

Trailbiscuit (or Ryan or Snowman, depending on who is talking about him!) and I (Sparkplug to our trail friends) started out at Springer last year on 3/28/05. We managed to get to Rt. 23, Great Barrington, MA before we had to stop due to Snowman's back/feet problems on July 28. So although we had started out with thoughts of being thru-hikers, we are now officially section hikers :) We plan to finish off our last 600+ miles over the next few years, mostly as weekend/long weekend hikes with a few week-long trips thrown in when we can, due to the fact that we're back to "reality" and the fun world of working! :) We really enjoyed our experience on the AT, and like Michelle, have been having "Springer fever" recently as we think about what we were doing/thinking/dreaming of last year, and are envying all 2006 thru-hikers for what they're about to experience.
-Sparkplug/Danielle :)

I'm a section hiker--AT(ME-PA), LT(so. half), John Muir Tr.(bits & pieces). I've completed the N-P trail('01) and I'm the 63rd person to complete the Long Path('00) in NY. So many peaks, trails, high points, towers.... to experience just hard to find the time. Of course there is the other four letter word--Wife!
Fig

Class of '94.
Best thing I ever did.

Sue (taking a break from playing on sunny trails in California)

:D :cool: :D

Section hiker..did the Smokies and parts of the Blue Ridge in the seventies...
more recently I've done sections of maine I think I have about 150 miles left up there.
These past few years I've done sections of the International AT up in Quebec

Section hiker, usually in one or two week chunks. Three or four days of hiking left and I have it all done from Katahdin to Springer.

AT Hiker

I am a Section Hiker. \

I have done about 25% or more of the AT this way, either in 3-day weekends or in week long trips. I have mostly done this as a way of bagging peaks mountains on one list or another. As I have often said, these pursuits are not mutually exclusive.

Started in March '05 and got from Springer Mt to Harriman State Park in NY when problems with the feet and knees knocked me off the Trail. I managed to eke out another couple hundred miles before I had to get off for '05. I'll be back on this year to do the last 600 miles!
Happy Hiking, Don L

Another AT section hiker here. Some of NY, all of CT, most of MA and most of NH. I'll be doing the 100 mile wilderness this coming August. Really looking forward to it. Like most people here, can't seem to get the time off from work to do the full thru-hike. Maybe someday, but till then looks like the 20 year plan. In the meantime, this peakpagging thing is also taking up some spare time. Also, thinking of thru-hiking the Long Trail next summer. So much to hike, so little time!

I will chime in also as a section hiker. I also go through great lengths to try if at all possible to dayhike (shuttle, stay at lodges, huts and avoid backpacking and keep my costs down staying at very reasonable lodging facilities) as much as possible. I am working my way southbound and found that Maine can be done as a series of dayhikes with only one night out on the trail! I also claim to have hiked a piece of the AT in every state it goes thru. Other than the northern portion of the 100 Mile Wilderness (due to my wife's major surgery just prior to the scheduling of that section), I have hiked the entire AT southbound thru South Arm Road in Maine. I will hopefully finish up Maine this year dayhiking thru US2 near Gorham, NH. I also hiked the AT from Jug End thru to the Delaware Water Gap. My first time on the AT goes back to a backpack hike with my brother from Bear Mountain to West Mt. Shelter in 1962 when I was 10. I still remember my hard boiled egg breakfast coming out of my pack and rolling down the trail as I descended the west side of Bear Mt. One other current association to the trail is that I consider myself a trail angel and I deliver jugs of water, snacks and beer on a weekly basis to Wildcat Shelter near Warwick, NY on the AT. The spring at the shelter usually dries up by July. The shelter is two miles in from the nearest road.

So if anyone wants information about how to dayhike the AT in Maine, check out this website. When reading this website start from the bottom post and work your way up to get a good southbound read. Here you will read my trip reports and find out about dirt road access, times and distances for my hikes, and accommodations en route that I have used, and see a fairly comprehensive photo log of all my hikes on the AT. Some hikers that have found this website say that my information is addtional and complements any other source for the dayhiker to use for hiking the AT in Maine. I think there is a good bit of valuable reference material to be found in my posts.

Last edited:
WHich VFTT members also AT hikers

Thru hiked in 1995. Single most enriching experience I've ever had. Nearly every year since, I stuff my backpack and take off for a week or more to go back and wander some section again. The lack of clutter reminds you how good life can be...

Day hiker!

askus3 said:
I will chime in also as a section hiker. I also go through great lengths to try if at all possible to dayhike (shuttle, stay at lodges, huts and avoid backpacking and keep my costs down staying at very reasonable lodging facilities) as much as possible.

Ditto Aaron! I have done the AT, all as dayhikes, from Grafton Notch ME to just across the Conn River into VT. Have done southern VT to almost the MD border, but missing 20 miles in MA (will do this summer!). Next year, I should finish VT, and hopefully MD and itsy bitsy WV! Then I will have to decide if and how to do the rest of ME! I'm only 65, so I have a lot of time left!

Fred

I'm a section hiker -since '73 I've hiked all the blazes from Springer to Front Royal and Kent to Katahdin, and many of the blazes inbetween. No plans to fill in the gaps or try a thru, nowadays when I get time off I head to Baxter and the Maine mountains. I've been writing about the AT in Maine, mostly between Caratunk and Katahdin, for the ALDHA Companion for quite a while.