White Mountains Server is going away

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Your site has been a great resource, thanks for keeping it going.

This may have already ocurred to you, but you might be able to have the old site refer browsers/readers to the new one to help those who do not see your annoucement. Also, if you can include the phrase "white mountains server" on your home page, it might help searchers find the new location.

Doug

Dave, I found your site by accident in 1997 and it's been a great resource for me. I've found myself at work on a beautiful day hopping over and dreaming of hikes to come.

I've changed the link on my website to the new one. Good luck and thanks for keeping this going

DougPaul said:
This may have already ocurred to you, but you might be able to have the old site refer browsers/readers to the new one to help those who do not see your annoucement. Also, if you can include the phrase "white mountains server" on your home page, it might help searchers find the new location.
I'll definately have the old site forward to the new one. I hadn't thought about using keywords "White Mountains Server" for the HTW, but that makes great sense.

-dave-

"Hike the Whites"

David- I am sorry to say I never logged onto your original site, but I have logged onto "Hike th Whites" and I have to say it's becoming a favorite site of mine. Thanks for all your good information and hard work.
kmac

I probably should have told you before now, but thank you so much for all the work that you had done on the white mountains server. Like others had mentioned, it's been a brilliant resource for me. I've just gotten (back) into hiking this year, and your site has been one of the references that I've come to rely upon for trip planning. The pictures that you've included in your trip reports have removed much of the potential ambiguity that can arise when pouring over trip reports and guides. I--and Sugar--thank you. We are VERY happy that the site will be alive at the new address. Thanks again!

David Metsky said:
I'll definately have the old site forward to the new one.

Make sure you send a 301 Permanent Redirect and not a 307 Temporary Redirect. The various index bots should deal with that correctly, as well as people's web browsers.

White Mt. Server

Wow, I've spent hours staring at the pictures on your site for years and years now. Long before i was a member here I used the White Mt. Server for many a trip. You had me too. Glad to see the website will continue. Tons of great info. there.

That was some Halloween scare ... I, too, thought I had to give you red squares and report it as a bad post until I read on.

The Great Metsky, one of the gems of the White Mountains!

Ditto on the scare :eek: I found the White Mountain Server about the same time as I found VFTT and it is a valuable site. We've used it to plan several hikes in the past few years. Thanks for keeping it going,

Bobby

Dave,
White Mountain Server was among the very first web sites that I ever visited. I gathered info there that was used to plan many hikes. I met you recently at a VFTT get together at Boston Beer Works. Today is the first time I put the two together. Thanks for all the info. Gotta go bookmark HTW.

Dave, your White Mountain Server is a New England "institution". I can remember, from the mid 90's, clicking through your trip reports and looking at the pictures and descriptions to plan my next weekend getaway.
My favorite part about your site was the tone in which it was written; not a hint of an ego; just a quiet record of information that was accurate and to the point. Your graceful efficiency has always reminded me of Daniel Doan's famous "50 Hikes" books.
Thanks for everything!

Thankssssssssssss a lot Dave!!!!!!!!!

Good time to send you many thanks for the excellent site. I too think your site is top notch reference for planning trips. Judging from the feedback I'm seeing maybe you should consider publishing a book of some kind! There are lots of guides, but you definitely have a unique angle or an attitude that comes across that I think appeals to the passionate hiker who wants to make the most of his/her time and efforts. :D

Great New Site!

Dave,

Your site is a fantastic resource! It truly was my guide to finish the 48..
Your New Site has a great new look to it..
So happy to see it will continue...Thank you!

Snowshooz :p

Thank you David Metsky!!

I can't tell you how many times we've referred to your site in the past.
It's so full of such valuable info / insight (& cool pics) ;)

When I 1st read the headline~ I too was holding my breath //
the info you provide is so insightful & you really can't access it anywhere else!
{cool pics too!}

so ^^Hike the Whites^^ is now listed in our favorites.

PS we've never met you but every time we hike Moosilauke
[which is many times a year & is 1 of our favorites]..
we keep an eye out for you!

Jazzbo said:
...you definitely have a unique angle or an attitude that comes across...

wow, even the new guys have it figured out!! You've been a long time resource for many including myself. I hope I've expressed my gratitude previously, but will again say Thanks! ...and I'm glad that you're happy about the change. Change is good. :)

I've been using that site and directing others to it for a long time. Thanks for starting it and keeping it up!