Whiteface #46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoc22

Reaction score
As many had before, I chose to save Whiteface for the last of my 46 peaks. Having done a number of the most popular peaks early on in my hiking days, it became an obvious choice due to accessibility, its majestic dominance of the skyline and the ability of non hikers to join us at the top (and as it turns out ferry some of the hiking party down to the vehicles).

Despite the forecast for a partly cloudy day, the weather deteriorated during the drive up Rte. 73, 9N and up past the reservoir until we parked at the Marble Mtn. TH. Ten of us including two self proclaimed non-hiking progeny of mine started down and then up the trail in the light rain which typified many of my previous hikes. Fortunately it soon quit and by the time we reached the top of Marble Mtn. everyone had removed their raingear and had warmed up considerably. The trail was relatively dry and well worn despite being "unofficial." Our plan was to split up into a faster group, who planned on bagging Esther, and a "less fast" group who had no designs on a run at the 46. For one reason or another we kept having to stop and wait to exchange lunches, cameras, dog leashes, etc.

Needless to say we didn't end up having the timing right and the WF only group passed by just after we started the herd path for Esther. Having read the map from Adirondack Journey I thought the herd path started well after the top of Lookout Mtn and had to backtrack about .3 miles to the Esther cutoff. It had obviously just rained up there because the flat portion of the trail was under 2-3 inches of water. The herd path to Esther was like a shorter less downhill version of the trip to Couch, complete with its own little swamp. By this time we were so fogged in that even if there was a view we wouldn't have known it.

Back on the trail to WF we were surprised at the long flat stretch before the next pitch. The coolest part of the trail is at the huge wall of stone which was placed to construct the sharp turn on the toll road. From there it was a short steep foggy climb to the summit.

I was met at the top by the rest of the family and friends who hiked in the other group as well as those who drove up and set up a "buffet table" in the summit building. Champagne, hors d'ouevres, wraps, sandwiches and even a lemon pound cake in the shape of a shell awaited us inside. Many photos, toasts and stories later we finally cleaned up before the hike back down. I was very proud that my whole family including my wife, 16yo dtr, 13yo dtr and 10yo son (these were his 20th and 21st) made the trip up with me. It was a great feeling to have all of them share my excitement and commemorate the culmination of my journey.

When we arrived home my wife called me into the living room to open up "my surprise" (G-rated). Taking up most of the couch was a beautiful framed panoramic photograph of the High Peaks taken from the top of Algonquin toward Mt. Colden late in the afternoon by Carl Heilman II. The most amazing thing about it is the shadow projected onto Mt. Colden of the entire McIntyre range. It really recreates the feeling of being on the mountain. It was a perfect ending to a great day.

Skidoc,
I don't think it gets any better than that!
Congratulations.

Thanks guys

Let's see, now I only have 35 winter ADKs, 23 summer Cats and 4 winter Cats...

Too bad work gets in the way - I'd have these done in no time ;)

Neil, sounds like a great time will be had on the 1st. Always wanted to do RPR from New Russia - maybe for the winter ascent. Hope you have good weather - the colors should be spectacular then.

Gandalf, how's good old Ithaca? Spent a few years "far above Cayuga's waters..." Far from the dacks, but a lot of natural beauty and awesome waterfalls. I still backpack with an old external frame Kelty pack I got in a camping store in the converted school turned mall where, I believe, the Moosewood was (? is). Nothing like a Greek salad and Pizza from the Souvlaki house in C-town or Purity mocha chip.

Tom, does the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery for a couple of UBUs after Whiteface get me any closer to the patch? Hey you and I were at RPI together - I started there b4 heading out to Ithaca after my sophomore year, also Class of '81. I still remember the cinder block decor of Crockett Hall.

Last edited:
Congrats on yer 46! If I knews there was gonna be chow on the peak, I might have ran up the road and beat ya to it :p Great TR! What's next??

Whiteface

When I climbed Whiteface in March once, I had on my ol' mans treadless boots :( soaked to the bone, the marrow and back to the bone. Also I had in my pack as many metal items as I could. The winds on top were about 66.6 miles an hour faster than I wanted them to be. Hail hit my feeble face, and when I wasn't snorting hail, I was choking on all of it that I swallowed. There we were, freezing cold, shakin like a leaf and feeling kinda lousy. "LETS GET THE HELL OUTA HERE BUDDY!"
So we embark on the roaddown. Stepping in ice puddles up to our ass, and then it starts.. :(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THUNDER AND LIGHTNING <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I FELT LIKE A WALKING RADIO TOWER. I walked the gauntlet and survived though.. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME! Took me 3 days to warm up. And I still shake when I think of it.
IT WAS ONE OF THE WORST TRIPS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
............................................but..................................................
things change.

The next time we went up there, it was probably thee NICEST FEBRUARY day EVER!!!!
wait... i said EVER!

It was about 60 degrees on the summit! I got me a winter tan. Then Head and I got on our sleds and had the best sled ride down the trail ever.
So my point is.. that if a mountain or an experience is bad, don't dwell on it, embrace it, go back again.. and again till it is perfect and it will be.
MIKE MAMMMMMY ~birdo~ :D

skidoc22 said:

Tom, does the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery for a couple of UBUs after Whiteface get me any closer to the patch? Hey you and I were at RPI together - I started there b4 heading out to Ithaca after my sophomore year, also Class of '81. I still remember the cinder block decor of Crockett Hall.

Sure, you can count that! :D

I was over in Bray. They've given them a face lift now (my son just started there, he's in Crockett), a lot of rooms have their own bathrooms, but they still have those crappy old shelving units!

Those were the good old days!

PM me, we'll have to continue this foolishness offline! :D

Congratulations Skidoc! I'm sorry the weather wasn't as nice for you as it was for us when I finished on Whiteface in late August. Hope to meet you next Memorial Day. Karen

skidoc22 said:
Gandalf, how's good old Ithaca?

Not bad, though we might need a year or so to assess the effects of the new Wal-Mart. :(

The Moosewood's still there, and as for the Souvlaki house...I must confess I never thought to see that referred to on VFTT. Small world! :D