Whiteface and Passaconaway 7/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
Another beautiful drive to the whites, another interior cloud view from the peaks. Seems to be the recent trend...haven't had a decent view since being on the southern presies the 1st weekend in june! At least i got out and knocked a few more 4k's off my list.

JJ and i met with gg once again and headed to Wonalancet. We made a pitstop in ashland because someone(not to mention any names) forgot their hiking socks. With success, we headed to the TH. While gearing up, JJ befriended another hiking couples' dog named "Lou". We made short talk of the plans we had, they had and how the two dogs looked rather similar. Upon parting ways, gg noted that "Jackson(JJ) was much shinier, blacker and bigger than Lou"

We headed up Blueberry Ledge trail towards Whiteface. About a mile or so into our hike, we noticed a seemingly sluggish and slowing Jackson. We breaked at this point to find JJ laying down on the trail and panting heavily. Totally not like him at all. He's usually running up and down the trail passing then waiting then passing again. We gave him plenty of water and a good rest. He must have been heated up from playing with lou at the trailhead parking lot. With concern for him, we contemplated turning around. After about a 15-20 rest and more water, JJ decided to move on, more like his normal self. We followed under a watchful eye. We passed several other hikers on the way up. The air cooled as we climbed higher and jj seemed to be getting better, so we pushed for the top. JJ was a scramblin' fool on the rock faces having no problems reaching the peak. Once there, we had some CHEESE and water and limited views once again. We decided to carry on with our original plan that included Passaconaway ,since jackson seemed to be better.

The clouds rolled in and out on us as we meandered through the woods on the Rollins Trail. The forest was lush and green, very green. We happened upon two female hikers with whom we spoke to while jackson took a good break, then trudged on to the junction of Dicey's Mill trail. Here, we took a left towards the loop on Passaconaway. Cruising on up, we eventually stumbled on to a brook, which i do believe was the first water we saw yet on the day. We banged a left at the junction of the loop and made it to the summit in short time. The views were a bit better, but hazy still. We finished the CHEESE that was left and some other trail tidbits and set off for the return to the trailhead. The returning loop to the junction was fairly steep and it aggravated my knees, which in turn would aggravate me all the way down. Dicey's mill trail would seem to never end and is a looong out. JJ found relief while crossing the Wonalancet River. He just plopped himself in it and layed there for a while. The thought of a king size drumstick with vanilla and chocolate swirls and a fudge line cone entered my mind. I knew just where to get one...so, i put it in gear and trucked it back to the car. What a great hike! Even though the concern for my dog, who is a trooper, the day overall was fantastic!

Never tire of these two peaks....always a great hike! Especially enjoy the ridge along the Rollins trail, and the climb up Passaconaway. :)
The Cheese was certainly delicious!...but where were the crackers...?? :D :D
New bike vs. hike....hmmmm...OK mookie, we'll let it slide this time....

thanks for letting it slide GG! i have become one with my new bike and dont see myself getting out to the mountains anytime soon :(

well maybee in a couple weeks. :)