Whiteface and Passaconaway, Sun 6/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
We headed up to Ferncroft Road on a bright, warm sunny morning. I have to admit, that I love the trip up 113 and 113A, the small towns, the farms. We kept eyeing the real estate in the area, because it was just so pretty.

We found Ferncroft after taking a snapshot of Whiteface from a field of bright dandelions. Our group included Mtn Top and his daughters (whom we later called Deet and Treeline).

It was very warm when we started on Blueberry Ledge Trail. It was also very buggy. We tried to keep a steady pace in the heat (yuck), and by the time we reached a steeper section, the bugs were gone and a little breeze was a welcome comfort. The ledges were actually fun for us - it gave us a break from the humid forest and a fine opportunity to take some pictures. We had lunch quickly and headed over Rollins to Passonaway. By 1:30, we had only seen a handful of people, one toad, and some trillium. We reached Dicey Mill and headed up Passaconaway.

Passaconaway holds some interesting memories for me. A few years ago, I camped below Passaconaway and decided to watch the sunset from the summit. I saw the most beautiful sunset ever, but then realized that we (me and an ex) forgot our headlamps. We then struggled down the switchbacks for an hour to camp in darkness and panic.

This time, Passaconaway was a treat. We headed down Dicey Mill to end our day (more bugs). I must say there are times where you secretly wish that a trail could never end. Dicey Mill is so pleasant.. it makes it hard to exit.

Good day! Mtn Top's 42nd and 43rd and Elizabeth (treeline)'s 24th and 25th.

Pics are here : http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=362714472&key=yLZlWP

Nice pictures of the ledges on Whiteface. I have been looking for some good pics of the ledges so I could decide if my 11 year old daughter could handle this hike. Thank you!

I really like the picture of Wonalancet village, this might be one of my favorite areas in the Whites.

Photo #19 is Whiteface and Mt Wonalancet, I think Passaconaway is hidden behind. I've always wanted to climb Mt Wonalancet, looks steep!!

I hiked the Wonalancet range trail May of 2004.Wonalancet was not that steep but on the way to Passaconaway there was another peak I can't remember how to spell it but it was something like Nanamanacook and that was a steep climb. There were some interesting views of Whiteface from a ledge just beyond Wonalancet.