Whiteface Mem.Highway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragway

Reaction score
Hello... post #1 good to be here!...........I Know this is the hiking forum but what the heck.What is the policy allowing riding bikes on the road? and has anyone done it? I'd like to switch and give Mt Greylock a rest :rolleyes: ....and before the snow starts to fly........ thank you

cragway said:
Hello... post #1 good to be here!...........I Know this is the hiking forum but what the heck.What is the policy allowing riding bikes on the road? and has anyone done it? I'd like to switch and give Mt Greylock a rest :rolleyes: ....and before the snow starts to fly........ thank you

I'm not sure if you are asking whether is allowed by the owners, or allowed by the 46Rs. If you mean the 46Rs, then the answer is no. You can ski or walk, but not bike. As for permission, I couldn't tell you.

Welcome to the board!

Once the road closes for the season you can ride on it. Last year we went up on November 7th to ride up with our bikes but ended up skiing it instead :D . We saw Mt. bike tracks all the way to the very top. It was some real serious ice up there and required some carrying for them. I don't know the website,but if you google search you can find the closing date and then the road is fair game for whatever.

I'm not sure if you are asking whether is allowed by the owners, or allowed by the 46Rs. If you mean the 46Rs, then the answer is no. You can ski or walk, but not bike. As for permission, I couldn't tell you.

Thanks.......Yes I should've clarified..."allowed by the owners?" I tramped up
quite a few times...just like to change it up a bit.

Once the road closes for the season you can ride on it.

:( I was hoping to ride up tomorrow...... oh well

Yeah, unfortunately they're really a pain about nobody but cars on it in season; no walkers, hikers, bikers, whatever. There is an uphill running race up it, and bicycle race as well, both in June. The link is http://www.whitefaceregion.com/ - click on "events calendar" and they're both listed. Once it officially closes Columbus Day weekend, it's fair game, but that won't help you now. After it closes for the day and the staff leaves, you could probably ride it as well, but now that we're under 12 hrs of daylight, that's probably not an option either. Although, I always wanted to ride up it on a full moon.