Whiteface & Passaconaway, 5/16/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
May 16, 2014: Whiteface & Passaconaway

Trails: Blueberry Ledge Trail, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail

Summits: Whiteface and Passaconaway

Hikers: Katie Kirby, Joe Ciarcia (and Zoe & Kara), and me

The day started overcast but dry. The cloud cover was pretty low and it was obvious we would enjoy no views unless conditions changed. The forecast predicted dry to last until late afternoon, and then wet was moving in.

We grabbed our things and set off to hike the loop in a clockwise direction. This was my first time in a long time to hike in my light hiking boots (my winter stuff stayed home); lighter really felt good. Right from the start it seemed we dropped into a comfortable pace that everybody was happy with. We made our way through the road walk and started up Blueberry Ledge Trail. By the time we passed the lower junction with Blueberry Ledge Cutoff I was drenched with perspiration but feeling really good; we had a very humid day to enjoy.

Soon we finished with the section of trail that was relocated a little over a year ago and started into the climb to the upper junction of Blueberry Ledge Cutoff. A short distance after we started up the slabs and before reaching the junction we met a pair of hikers that had set off before us with their dog. It was a larger dog and I’d guess they had their hands full when attempting to climb the ledges. I talked with them briefly at the trailhead and had the impression they weren’t totally confident in completing the loop. We continued to the junction and on to the ledges.

When we arrived to the bottom of the ledges there was a strong breeze from the southwest and mist blowing through. Everything was wet. We prepared for the climb and started up. The first section was much easier than usual. We all went up with relative ease. Joe was appropriately very careful with Zoe and Kara (I might confuse these two because they look very similar to me) and they all made it up the section I always feel is the most difficult of them all. At the second section of ledge I think it was Kara that had run out of patience and just shot up to the top. That was an amazing move that surprised us all. Without hesitation Kara climbed a ledge that was at least eight to ten times as high as she was tall. That was only the beginning, and it must have been a confidence builder; Kara had more fun along the way to the top.

Unfortunately, the cloud cover was very low and there were no views at all on our climb. Later in the hike Joe commented about cloud cover; “There’s overcast above and undercast below, what’s it called when you’re in the middle of it?” Good question – I don’t know.

At the top of the South Summit we stopped for refreshment and a few pictures. Kara was still in the mood for a little fun and she was jumping around on the ledges and attempting to climb things that were way too big. Both Zoe and Kara provided terrific entertainment on the hike.

Soon the break was over and we set off for the actual summit of Whiteface. As we started out Rollins Trail it seemed clear we would pull out the MICROSpikes eventually. The ice monorail was wet and wet ice offers no traction at all. We made a brief photo stop at the Whiteface summit cairn and continued on our way around The Bowl. On our way to Dicey’s Mill Trail we ran into lots of icy monorail, mud, and even some clear and solid trail. There was one place we came to that had a large area of wet ice completely covering the side hill section of trail. I remembered this place from past hikes and took the herd path bypass uphill from the icy problem. Safely past the obstacle we finished off our cruise around The Bowl arriving to the Dicey’s Mill junction and ready for the final climb. As usual, I had been monitoring our progress past various key points and we were always a little ahead of book time. We reached the trail junction still ahead, and we weren’t really trying, and we were still bare booting the hike. The day was going well.

We made the turn and started the final .9 to Passaconaway. A short distance above the junction with Joe leading the way we came to a wall of ice. Joe immediately stopped; we weren’t bare booting that stuff, it was time for MICROSpikes. A little added traction did the job and we were on our way. We arrived to the small stream crossing near the Camp Rich site and Joe retired his MICROSpikes, Katie and I stayed with ours.

Past Camp Rich and into the switchbacks the trail was free of icy monorail. We even were able to make it through the first couple steep climbs toward the summit. As we approached the final steep pitch we were again facing a lot of ice and Joe’s MICROSpikes went back into service. We finished the climb to the summit and found a new small cairn there when we arrived. Another summit photo stop and we were on our exit hike.

We started into the ~4.6 miles of mostly downhill back to the trailhead. We were already as wet as wet gets, and somewhere along the way roughly half-way out a steady drenching rain started; it was well beyond the forecast of showers. Hiking in the rain can be fun and I think this was one of those times. All five of us continued to make the most of the day and cruised through our exit hike to the trailhead. Even the crossing at the former mill site was an easy rock-hop (except Katie showed-off on the log – not surprising).

Well ahead of plan, and in-fact ahead of book time we arrived back to the trailhead lot. The rain was still coming down but it didn’t matter. In a few minutes Katie was packed and on her way, I followed, and finally Joe, Zoe, and Kara started their drive south.

Thanks to Katie and Joe (and Zoe and Kara of course) for making a gray day into a fun experience hiking the Whiteface-Passaconaway loop. I hope we all get together to go again soon.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool: