Whites PEAKS Extravaganza this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
I'm going to the Whites this weekend.
On Friday I'll be doing North Twin.
Saturday Carrigain and Possibly the Wildcats.

If I don't get the Wildcats on Saturday, I'll be doing them Sunday morning.

I am looking to Hook up with some people that might be doing those peaks this weekend. So, if anybody is doing these peaks ...let me know.

Comments warnings also welcomed i.e. beware of High Water etc...I am not an expert in these locations and I understand North Twin has some water crossings....

Zer0-G (Ronnie)

The Guide book states that the first two crossings can be avoided by bushwhacking along the east side of the river.

If one were to bushwhack along the west side of the river it looks like all three can be avoided.

I've never been there before so I was wondering about how feasible either of those options would be?

The guide book states that the three river crossings are very difficult or impassable during periods of high water with the third being least difficult.

In the other thread, which you posted in, I asked about the 3rd crossing specifically because I wanted to also do the FWT, and at least MichaelJ thought it would be high (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237068&postcount=11). Maybe it will, and maybe it won't, but unless the weather of the day greatly improves, it doesn't matter 'cause I'm not doing this loop unless there are views.

I can't answer the question about BW'ing the West side of the river the whole way.

The NWS has a flood watch for Twin Mountain Thursday and Friday...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig..._place1=Twin+Mountain+NH&product1=Flood+Watch

EXPECT HEAVY RAINFALL OF TWO INCHES OR GREATER ACROSS THE REGION. EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL PRODUCE LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL. PERSISTENT HEAVIER BANDS MAY BRING LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
In the other thread, which you posted in, I asked about the 3rd crossing specifically because I wanted to also do the FWT, and at least MichaelJ thought it would be high (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237068&postcount=11). Maybe it will, and maybe it won't, but unless the weather of the day greatly improves, it doesn't matter 'cause I'm not doing this loop unless there are views.

I can't answer the question about BW'ing the West side of the river the whole way.

The NWS has a flood watch for Twin Mountain Thursday and Friday...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig..._place1=Twin+Mountain+NH&product1=Flood+Watch

EXPECT HEAVY RAINFALL OF TWO INCHES OR GREATER ACROSS THE REGION. EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL PRODUCE LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL. PERSISTENT HEAVIER BANDS MAY BRING LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

Tim

yeah. I kind of skimmed the last thread....Been tryin to watch the Mets and Phillies at the same time.

Thanks Much for pointing out my omission.... ;)

AND thanks for the useful warnings and information it's just what I am looking for.

I'll have to see if the forecast is going to make me bring my SCUBA gear....

Seriously, thanks ...keep it coming.

I am also considering the Wildcats and Carrigan....

I need 7 more peaks to complete the 48 and there are the Kinsman's and Moosilauke as well...I can change my plans for safer routes.

:D

The Mount Kinsman Trail on the west side of the ridge has no significant stream crossings and is a very nice path with moderate grades. Great way to bag N. & S. Kinsman.

FWT to Hale should be fine unless the river is sooo high it overflows the bank onto the initial herd path, and even then that's not a risk, just walk higher up the bank. There's a small brook that comes into the river as well, but I don't know how much water that gets. Beyond that, no water crossings.

Third crossing of the Little River on the N. Twin Trail, which you can't avoid, doesn't take much rain at all to mean wet crossing, and after this week I would think would be risky, and I sure wouldn't want to get stuck on the wrong side. You'd have to 'whack all the way to Route 3 in Twin Mountain.

My intention was to do the whole 18 mile loop. I will have to cross the Little River at least once, or whack all the way home.

Tim
p.s. If you're interested in doing the whole loop next time the weather is good, PM me...

bikehikeskifish said:
My intention was to do the whole 18 mile loop. I will have to cross the Little River at least once, or whack all the way home.

Tim
p.s. If you're interested in doing the whole loop next time the weather is good, PM me...
If the 3rd crossing (which I think is the easiest) is safe then do it -- you'll be back to the car in 2 miles or so, big deal if you're a little wet. Otherwise, you stay on the West bank -- sometimes you're actually on the real trail, other times on the abandoned RR grade (which does not always coincide with the trail) -- only until Haystack Road: there is a bridge crossing little river right before the trailhead that would put you back on the East side of the river if I remember correctly.

If the water levels are really high, crossing the feeder brook just before the FW's trail might be difficult.

-Dr. Wu

Yes, Haystack Road ends at a bridge to the parking lot on the east side of the river, but...

A few years ago I took a wrong turn and wound up 'whacking on the west side of the Little River. Caveat: it was winter, and I was trying to follow a nonexistent uphill trail (bad map uploaded to GPS). Following the bank of the river would probably be easier than what I tried to do. Still, be prepared for some tough sections: steep slopes with very thick brush and a number of streams to cross.

The standard "bushwhack" on the east side is a cakewalk, but if the rain in NH is anything like it's been down here in MA, I'd be cautious about that (third) crossing, even though it is indeed the easiest (by far).
(As of Thursday afternoon, the Ammo river gauge at Bethlehem Junction is at around 3.5 feet and rising - it's been up to 5 in the last couple of days. The only time I've done the third crossing, that gauge was at 4 feet, and water in the crossing was around mid-calf if you stayed on the stepping stones.)
real-time water flow

WHOA. Thursday night's reading: over seven feet!!

See also other threads in NE Q&A and in General - eg, DocRoss' North Twin thread.

Last edited:
they're called Teva sandals, and you put them on and walk across. ;)

Tevas will not keep you from getting swept downstream. That is the main concern, I think.

I WANT VIEWS so I'm not going to burn a hard-earned "Tim Day" unless conditions are favorable. That's my choice. I am a fair-weather hiker. I have a huge honey-do list to work on at home when it's raining out.

If you do "Teva" the stream crossings this weekend, remember to unbuckle your pack straps in case you do fall.

Tim

I agree, Tevas aren't going to do much if you are wading in chest deep water in water that is supposed to be below your knees. Some drainages (Peabody River, for example) I recommend just bypassing altogether. I almost lost my dog once crossing a torrent like that. That being said, there are lots of hikes that can be done that are great 'crappy' weather hikes. Hiking to a lake, pond, old camp, etc. are what I do if I have a hall-pass and don't want to lose it.

Last edited:
kidding. i'm obviously not talking about chest deep streams here. :p i walked across a stream before heading up wildcat a once, and even though it was only knee deep it was a little hairy! :D

FWIW, as I posted in the floods thread -- things are really ripping right now. The Mad is as high as I have ever seen it, and the Beebe, where it passes through a narrow gorge close to 175 in Campton, looked like a promo for a white-water rafting movie -- standing waves and all.

Tevas and a flotation collar, maybe? ;)

This morning the Pemi, EB @ Lincoln has fallen to 1810 cfs from a high where the gauge was broken, but it looked to have crested over 5000 cfs. Woodstock fell 2.5 feet and is at about 1/3 of the max cfs (3780 vs 10,300).

Saturday's forecast has improved greatly too... Drew, please put in a late afternoon/early evening observation if you get a chance.

Thx,
Tim

We had light, intermittent rain in the wee hours of the morning in WV, but is crisp and clear now, with bright sun. I can hear the Mad running strong now -- will head out late AM for a quick scout of local streams.

leaf said:
kidding. i'm obviously not talking about chest deep streams here. :p i walked across a stream before heading up wildcat a once, and even though it was only knee deep it was a little hairy! :D

Oh, I figured you were kidding! I just wanted to point out that on more than one occasion, I hiked into the backcountry in a sprinkle, and ended up on the wrong side of a swollen stream and had to basically roll the dice to get out.

People, people ... let's see some PICTURES of these raging rivers! Video, even, if you can!