Who Are These People???? (Rant on Illegal Camping in the Whites)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
On my weekly route checking my volunteer trail maintance area, I discovered a new level of disrespect for the backcountry.

I've seen a lot in one small spot, an overcamped area beside a small pristine swimming hole. (Which is clearly marked on the main trail side with a 3x4' sign: "No Camping Within 200 Feet Either Side of This Stream". The opposite side had a 4x12" "NO CAMPING" sign. It's an FPA that ends less than FIVE mintues further up the trail.)

All summer, I spent most of my time dispersing fire rings, packing out trash, etc. The Forest Service is aware of the problem and does patrol the area. But, still, all manner of morons manage to find their way here.

Part of my efforts over the past three years have been to rehabilitate the overcamped side of the swimming hole. During this time, I have transplanted memorial trees quite some distance to the area. There were five little trees (about 3' high), surrounded by stone rings (as suggested by the Forest Service to signify the fact that the trees were transplants).

Today there were three. Two had been ripped out and callously tossed aside, the small stones used for a pathetic excuse for a fire ring. Instead of planting a sixth tree in memory of a close family friend who recently lost a twenty year battle against cancer, I cleared the fire ring and replanted the two discarded trees. I know that they willl die -- it was purely an act of stubborn determination on my part.

At least it put the shovel I was carrying to good use. Had anyone still been there, they would have been confronted by a very angry little woman brandishing a recently sharpened garden tool....

It wasn't just the trees; these bozos took the time to dig up a "deterent" rock buried a foot deep, drag large logs across the area destroying what little undergrowth there is, and kick away half of the stones surrounding the remaining trees.

The view of the surrounding area now included the litter of little white flags. At some point, someone had dug a community cat hole (oh, next to a run off stream no less), but hadn't taken the time to cover it. Or use it for most of nature's calls.

To top off their "camping" experience, they took the time to climb a tree and remove a "NO CAMPING" sign posted ten feet up a tree.

Why?

Who are these people??? What motivates them? And most of all, what would make them stop?

Peri,

They're the same rude folks who always think about themselves first. They're the ones in quiet places yelping into cell phones, or passing on the inside shoulder in backed up traffic, and any other manner of rude behavior.

The best thing you could do is try to monitor the spot, catch them "camping" and bring in the law while they're doing it.

Your post makes me sad :( . I can't believe people would actually pull up trees. I'm not a tree hugger, but I do believe we need to preserve whatever wilderness is left. I wonder if a bunch of "torpedoes" in the soil would have a better effect than trees. Too bad because trees are much nicer. I know this was done at "Clam Rock" in the Great Gulf. Sounds like your campers were a pretty determined, and perhaps intoxicated bunch.

-percious

Periwinkle said:
On my weekly route checking my volunteer trail maintance area, I discovered a new level of disrespect for the backcountry.

Who are these people??? What motivates them? And most of all, what would make them stop?

I am sorry about all your hard work being so disrespected.
I think some folks are ignorant and some just plain don't care. They firmly believe that rules don't apply to them.
It's like have a speed limit on the interstate that is never enforced.
Until a ranger catches up with them, hauls them out of there, and they get a nice big fine, they will just keep right on doing this.
Say what you will about the Baxter Park rangers, they get the job done.
My friend and I rented a little cabin on Kidney Pond and she assured me it would be just fine if we moved our things in at 1:30pm. Our "official" check in time was 2pm. Guess who was at our door just as we got all our gear in the cabin with 15 minutes to spare. We got to move it all out and wait until 2pm. My friend was very pissed off but I was rather pleased that "Ranger Dan" was doing his job. It's like he had come out of the woodwork. She gave him some balktalk which only endeared her all the more to him. She didn't come close to breaking any other Baxter "rules" during our stay there.
I think that when laws are enforced, word gets around, and people respect them a whole lot more.
Law enforcement can't always catch all the deviants but they do make a difference. They certainly can be a deterrant.
Thank you much for all the hard work you do out there as a volunteer. Know that it is appreciated. [:)

" ... confronted by a very angry little woman brandishing a recently sharpened garden tool ..."

Ahhh, but you're so beautiful when you're mad.

Can't answer as to who these people are but it reinforces the old cliche that there are more horses asses in the world than there are horses.

Consider this however, you have the dedication and perserverance to keep setting this thing right ... they are too damn lazy to find another site. Think of it as your 101st highest. In the end you will win.

Peri, I am so sorry to read this post. I can't even fathom what these incredibly disrespectful people were thinking. I just wanted to say that there are plenty of people here who appreciate your efforts!

- Ivy

I think I met those people in a campsite in Ohio 2 weeks ago. They were camped in a drive in campsite near where I had parked our car. We hiked out to our car in the morning to find that these wonderful folks had started a campfire in the morning(or it was a leftover from the evening's inferno) and dumped the leftover firewood onto the fire...and drove away!
After I knocked the fire down,and doused it....the ranger drove by,and we had a little chat. "Pull the camping permit from the iron ranger,it's got a plate number" I suggest to the ranger...
GOTCHA!!

I’m sorry to here that Peri. I was just on your trail a few weekends ago and I can assure you if I, and my rather large friend John, had encountered any illegal camping, there would have been a few words exchanged with a few phone calls made to the proper authorities.

By the way, my friend John and I are hiking on Saturday if you are interested. We haven’t nailed down a destination as of yet, so we are open to any and all suggestions.

On Sunday we plan to do Tremont, so you are welcome to join us on that one as well.

as i was descending the osceola trail the other day, i encountered crappy toilet paper haning from the trees, literally on the trail. it was hideously disgusting and disrespectful. i really wanted to climb back up to the summit and get violent, bounty hunting the offenders.
why do they do it? i have no idea. clearly there's plenty of the "me-first" mentality bouncing around our culture these days.

A word of encouragement

While I see instances of campsite abuse in the Adirondacks that really set me off, I do gain some comfort from having a bit of historical perspective. 30 years ago it was commonplace to see many if not most campsites thoroughly trashed and real dumps of cans and bottles just out of sight of the campsites. Thanks to education and widespread publicity of wilderness ethics we have made major progress in keeping trash out of the backcountry. A few months ago I visited a campsite in a remote area miles from the nearest trail and it looked like a site from many years ago. I wondered why someone would go to a site that obviously required a great deal of effort to reach and then dump their cans, bottles and pots there.

Our glass is not half empty but half full. Still a way to go but we will get there.

Woodspirit

Re the Osceola toilet paper "banners" hanging in trees. Those are often left over from winter campers who are really careful. When the 7' of snow melts, the remnants are right in your face.
Thats why folks should use snow or burn the TP.

That type of behavior is so prevalent in all walks of life that it is truly desheartening. The majority of human beings are so clueless, I find it amazing that we, as a species, ever figured out how to make fire, or how the stars and planets move, how to forge iron,etc.
Most of us are just barbaric egos.
Lets hope these ignoramuses don't vote!
ecc

It's that element in part which led me to end my hiking season in March and begin it in November.

Mark

peakbagr,
i know what you're saying about the winter hikers... certainly not the best practice.

however,
the TP on the osceola trail was served up fresh, with the lovely fragrance of POOP wafting through the trees. so not only did someone not dispose of their waste properly, they hung their handywork for all to see. why couldn't you at least hide your TP under a rock or something off trail? jeezus...

on Garfield Ridge trail Saturday, I came across a spot where someone, ah, answered nature's call right along the edge of a rather narrow section of the trail. Pretty disgusting.

Someone else left a note next to it that said "This is why we filter our water" and then something else illegible.

SteveHiker said:
on Garfield Ridge trail Saturday, I came across a spot where someone, ah, answered nature's call right along the edge of a rather narrow section of the trail. Pretty disgusting.

Someone else left a note next to it that said "This is why we filter our water" and then something else illegible.

Unfortunatly this behavious isn't limited to hikers.

A few years ago I was on Thin Air on Cathedral. Someone apparently decided to use the belay at the Chiminey as a rest room stop, which formed a nice little "water" fall on the pitch below. There was no choice but to use those holds on the way up....

Similarly, one time on Whitehorse, we made a belay ledge only to discover someone had left a nice little pile along with TP on the ledge.

Thanks for all the kind words & encouragement! That was a really nice surprise. I was so discouraged and disgusted yesterday, I was ready to throw in the towel and give up.

I haven't yet submitted a report to the USFS about the most recent abuse, but I am hoping that they will do more night patrols in the area for the remainder of the summer. There's a spiffy new gated fire road that goes right to the area, making it easier to catch the creeps. A number of groups have already be fined and booted this summer. I can't do patrols on the weekend myself because I work all weekend (but thanks for the hiking offer, Mad River!)

Maybe a nice, "Beware of the Bears" sign would do the trick? Just before I crossed the stream, I stopped to take a picture of recent bear damage to a tree at the bottom of the swimming hole. There's been so much food left here that I think the bears are figuring it out on their own.

I had a brief moment considering planting poison ivy, but got control of myself...

The note beside the turd on Garfield gave me one idea -- maybe a few little love notes posted in the area, something like: "Your campsite was someone else's toilet yesterday", complete with a picture of the white flags that had been there?

After hiking today and reading a few of the posts here, I think I've clued into one key element: the easier the hike, the more $h!t on the trail. I didn't see one white flag all day on the Kinsmans. The area I maintain is very easy, and never more than 2 miles from the road. Oh, and Osceola? I'll vote that peak Turd Mountain of the NH 4's. Two years ago it was covered in TP, complete with a fresh load right before the summit. I can laugh about that now, but at the time I had a loud, long, hissy fit when I found the pile on the trail and covered it up, not realizing I was 30 feet from the top where a number of people were enjoying the VFTT. I was embarrassed for about 2.5 seconds, until I started wondering if one of them was the culprit. Served 'em right....

It's sad to think that some people just don't get it that the trail is not a toilet. Seriously, my DOGS know that. Errrrrrrr.

Tomorrow, I think I'll go out and plant the biggest tree I can haul in. Gotta keep on trying....

Last edited: