Who talks while hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you talk while hiking with freinds?

• Never.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Only in life threatning situations

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Some small talk sometimes

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • I am a regular chatterbox

Votes: 25 28.1%

• Total voters

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
After Keb's reply in the "Who are these crazy people?" post I got to thinking. He is right. You would almost definetly hear us pass by. We almost never talk during hiking. We hike in complete silence. Most of the time we don't even hike together. We always meet at trail intersections though. My nephew basically learned to hike from me so I don't know if I just got used to doing that in the army and it carried over to my hiking day later or if most people don't talk when they hike. I like not talking. I believe it allows me to get lost in my own mind and also to spot more wildlife. The funniest part is when I finish a hike I remember pretty good detail about what I have seen but almost never remember what I was thinking about. :confused: Again maybe the scout training, don't know.

That doesn't mean that I don't like chatting when I come across someone on the trail and that we don't usually chat up a storm in camp. :D

Who talks during hiking? Do you move silent, will speak only if someones life is threatened, or chatter away incessantly.

Keith

peakbagger said:
As Sherpa will testify, I like to keep a running conversation.

And I do my part (most say more) to keep the conversation flowing. I often hike with folks that I may not have seen in awhile, so it is a way to catch up, or get to know someone.

I'll guess ALL of you could have known my response before this poll:eek:

Last edited:
I voted as chatterbox, unsure I'd go that far but much more than occasional small talk, right Sherpa & Gary?

I am a real chatterbox, even more so on solo hikes!!

If I am hiking with my young partners (18 and 19) I do not have the energy to speak.

Mark

I can't shut up. I provide a continuous stream of babble, occasionally counterpointed with a Simpsons or South Park (or Futurama) reference.

Even on the most beautiful of lookouts, sitting and meditating on the view, I have to fight the urge to talk about it.
:(

Dave? Ohhh DAAAVVVEE!! Have you answered this poll yet?

Where arrrreee yooouuuu Daaavvvee???

Ah, he's out of town. Well, anyone who's hiked with you knows the truth.

;)

I voted chatterbox, mostly because relative to the rest of the guys I hike with, I'm the entertainer. Whether quoting Simpson's episodes, Monty Python or I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again (never heard of it? look it up!) or singing, I'm usually going until I fall asleep (and sometimes after...)

I actually ran into a woman solo hiker on Marshall last year when I was with two friends. After having a short conversation, she realized that she had heard me singing that morning at our lean-to at flowed lands. It was nice of her not to object...

Chatterbox...but I also sing. I have a terrible voice.

"We can't go on together with suspicious minds..." (Danielle hates this song, so I usually stop singing...not because she wants me to, but because she drops the hammer and I'm sucking wind!)

Somewhat unrelated...this thread combined with SherpaK's recent Baxter trip report reminds me of hiking through New City in the pouring rain while singing Neil Diamonds "Solitary Man" at the top of my lungs. (Perhaps I should have kept this to myself.) :p

My wife and I talk very little when we hike. For me it's partly by choice, though if someone starts a conversation, I will certainly respond. I find that sometimes talking interferes with my breathing rhythm. We save most of our talking for breaks, peaks (discretely) and camp sites.

Thats pretty funny. I also find that conversation at camp turns to episodes of Simpsons, South Park, Seinfeld or Monty python quite often. Seems to be more common than I thought.

And AlpineSummit, just as long as the voices tell you to do nice things. No problem. :D A least the little guy in your head talks to you. I checked in my mind and apparently their is nobody there. I never remember what I was thinking so I assume no one in there is talking. ;)

Keith

I speak in tongues and throw in a 360° head spin every now and then just to keep my hiking partners on their toes.

Jay

I'd have to say chatterbox, overall. But it's also common for me and the people I hike with the most to enter into our own thoughts and shut our pie holes for a while.

Speaking of pie, I'm hungry.

I usually participate in small talk when I hike with friends. I've been known to say something loud and stupid at just the wrong time. For instance, after hike for hours to Nancy Pond and not passing another hiker for hours I let out a loud "I found it!" just as 2 other people came walking around the corner.

I'm also known for my astute observations ("Do you think that tree made a sound when it fell?")

I make occasional small talk, which may be considered strange by some since I usually hike alone :cool: