Who talks while hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you talk while hiking with freinds?

• Never.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Only in life threatning situations

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Some small talk sometimes

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • I am a regular chatterbox

Votes: 25 28.1%

• Total voters
It's something like this...

Know what I mean??
nudge-nudge
Say no more!!!
eh

:D

Being a man of few words and one who tells his wife that she underestimates the value of silence, I am a pretty quiet guy while hiking. I thoroughly enjoy the little sounds of the woods and those disappear during constant conversation. Maybe that's why I enjoy soloing a lot. Or maybe that's why no one wants to hike with me. :(

JohnL

Chatterboxes drive me nuts - Especially if I am laboring going up a mountain and someone behind me is constantly yakking away and requires an occasional "uh-huh" when they pause even though you are not listening to a word they are saying.

I am trying to be polite as I grunt out an "uh-huh" but it is tough.
I didn't go hiking to hear about someones problems at work, with spouse or what-have-you - That's campfire fodder....

I like to hike quietly and look around as I go. I am always happy to stop and chat for a moment with those I meet.
But when it comes to hiking and someone is behind you incessantly jabbering- about their feelings, coworkers, house, boyfriend, spouse or whatnot It feels like there is no escape!!!!

Last edited:
Some small talk, some talk about the trail and the ocassional D'oooohhhh when something doesn't go rught. Also have a "tradition " of saying "are we there yet...are we there yet....are we there yet" as soon as a boot hits the trail, drives my hiking buddy into hysterics. Boots

I'm not a real chatterbox. But I don't shy away from a converstaion either. I helps to break up the time on those long boring approaches (ex..Lake Road in the AMR). Also, it's alot better than the repeated songs going through my head; that I can't remember all the words to.

It used to be--"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family", come on sing it, I know you know it. There it's contagious isn't it.

Half my hikes are solos, so when I hike with others its nice to be able to socialize a little. Occasionally a hike will become a chatterbox affair, but usually it's little tales and tidbits interspersing long stretches of silence. I don't seem to mind other chatter when I'm with a social group as opposed to hiking solo. But solo with yakkers can usually be remedied by either shooting ahead, or taking a break to purposefully fall behind. If you're on a busy trail on a weekend or holiday and complaining about noise or traffic you've only got to look at yourself for blame. Nothing makes me chuckle more than someone griping about all the people infesting the summit of Marcy--on a Saturday in summer! Hello, McFly...

I think of two of my hiking buds (one a chatterbox) who, back in the (late 80s/early 90s?), spent hours on trail, loudly discussing the TV show, "Twin Peaks".

I never watched the show myself (except the really weird last episode) but I stayed in shape by spending a lot of time WAY ahead of them on the trail !

In retrospect, it was no worse than hearing them today, clashing over Iraq.

I talk a little, when I can get a word in. Hiking with my partner is like hiking with a radio on. Fortunately, he tends to quiet down when he gets tired.

Or..............................

maineguy said:
Only when my cellphone rings or I need to make a call.:rolleyes:

Or, I have to yell at my dog......Doh.

Actually, I'm pretty much "go with the flow" of the hike. I feel just as comfortable chatting along with the group, or can happily go silent (hard to believe, I know) for hours at a time. Hiking generally with the family, we tend to use the approach time to "socialize". I'm amazed at the things I've learned during these times. As summit time nears, game faces come on and not much is heard til we top out.

Seeker said:
Dave? Ohhh DAAAVVVEE!! Have you answered this poll yet?

Where arrrreee yooouuuu Daaavvvee???

Ah, he's out of town. Well, anyone who's hiked with you knows the truth.

;)
While I like to think that my contributions to the conversation is always pertinent and erudite, it's probably more accurate to say that I'm a chatterbox.

I've discovered that trying to keep up with faster folks (becoming more and more common these days) or high altitude tends to diminish this tendency.

-dave-

Talking usually goes with the energy level. I start out all talkative but when the trail starts climbing, breathing becomes more important. If the climbing really gets hard or near the end when I'm tired, I observe the "no whinning on the trail" rule and become quiet. Maybe that's why my husband takes me climbing.

We talk if the trail is tough,or we're tired. It makes the travel time seem shorter. We also have some signals to each other.

"We're almost there,it's at the top of this ridge"-An obvious lie to make her feel better-and she pretends to believe me!
The kayak version of this is"just past Spencer Island"-an island campsite on a very early trip-bad map-no island-keep paddling!

"I'm ready to be there"-She-or I-are just about toasted-and bushwacking off trail to set up is sounding pretty good.

I whistle that little ditty"We're out of the woods" from the Wizard of Oz,when they see Emerald City.-we made it-were gonna survive this trek-we hit the easy part.

"My friend is my tent companion" -Thoreau

I opt for the silence is golden rule, though I don't mind stopping for a conversation with someone I meet on the trail or on the summit enjoying the view especially if I am still heading up!

David Metsky said:

While I like to think that my contributions to the conversation is always pertinent and erudite, it's probably more accurate to say that I'm a chatterbox.

I've discovered that trying to keep up with faster folks (becoming more and more common these days) or high altitude tends to diminish this tendency.

-dave-

I've been known to have diarrhea of the mouth:D :D

I guess its the excitement of hiking with someone else! Often It's just me and the dog --the dog has selective listening though:)

A good uphill section and I get pretty quiet.

trailbiscuit said:
Chatterbox...but I also sing. I have a terrible voice.

"We can't go on together with suspicious minds..." (Danielle hates this song, so I usually stop singing...not because she wants me to, but because she drops the hammer and I'm sucking wind!)

Trailbiscuit, take my wife ... please!!!

Did you guys get married in a fever? First, you have to do a little research! No way I'd marry a girl who couldn't do the Sweet Inspirations to my Elvis. whoo-oo-whoo-oo-whoooh. 35 years later, still caught in a trap!

She does the backup to Orbison songs equally well, a regular Jennifer Warnes.

If I want to be quiet, I walk alone. If I go with someone else, I don't do it with the expectation I'll be ignored all day and I wouldn't do that to someone else.

Think about this: In the not-too-distant future, you won't be hearing anyone, for all eternity. Some can't wait, I guess.

Last edited:
I talk more when I'm alone (or with my dog) then when I'm with friends. I usually hike faster then most of them which puts me in pole position and with noone to talk to. Usually any small talk starts with "look at that" or "does anyone know what this is".

That said, once we settle somewhere it's pretty much chatterbox central. :D

I'm a singer

I sing... Loud... When I'm alone. Oddly enough, I'm rather self conscious and will not sing when I'm with others. I say oddly enough, because I'm not self conscious when I'm up on stage at some bar singing (aside.. anyone with a high bandwidth connection might want to listen to my SPAM song (first one): http://mudhead.uottawa.ca/~pete/songs.html ) I have sung about SPAM while hiking :)

When I'm hiking with others, I'm a better listener than a talker.