Wild River Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorpBurp

Reaction score
I'm planning a two-nighter in the Wild River Wilderness/Carter Range with some friends. We'll be hiking in on the Wild River Trail from the campground to Perkins Notch Shelter. Day two is a traverse of the Carter Ridge and a night at Imp Campsite. It's been two years since my last visit to this area (on a trail crew revegetating Blue Brook Shelter) and I have a few questions.
First, on the 2007 AMC map of the region it says that both Blue Brook Shelter and Spruce Brook Shelter are to be removed. I'm assuming that's because it's a designated wilderness area and manmade structures are a no-no. I was wondering if the Perkins Notch Shelter faces/faced the same fate. Is it still standing/usable? If not, are there suitable tentsites near it? Are/were the shelters actively dismantled or just unmaintained and only taken down when they're too unsafe for use?
In the same vein, is the suspension bridge spanning the Wild River and connecting the Highwater and Wild River Trails still intact? It would be good to know if a river crossing is in order.
Also, is the fee per person at Imp is $8?
Thanks
GorpBurp

It's a great loop. We did it a couple of years ago.

Perkins Notch Shelter is still there, if not especially appealing. Blue Brook and Spruce Brook shelters have been removed, but I believe there are camping opportunities nearby. For details on the decision see http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whi...elter_removal/wild_river_shelter_removal.html

There are suspension bridges over Wild River at Hastings and near the Wild River campground. Spider Bridge is gone and will not be rebuilt, but the ford is generally easy with summer water levels.

Perkins Notch Shelter is not appealing. There are good tent sites 100' behind the shelter. Have a great hike!

Not much to add except to say that I made the crossing of the Wild River two days ago just above the Spider Bridge site and it isn't too bad. I made it across dry by boulder-hopping with poles. Anyone taller and/or more graceful than me (i.e. pretty much everybody) should have no problem.
-vegematic

I'll just add that on the opposite side of the shelter from the tentsites are little side paths from the trail to No Ketchum Pond with nice views of the backside of the Carters, and just an excellent open feeling of being "nowhere."

Since you're apparently some distance removed from the scene, I'll suggest that you keep a weather eye for major rainfall events. The "Wild" River goes from boulder hopping to challenging fording to deadly-don't-even-think-of-trying, depending on the quantity of water dumped into its watershed. Here's a link to the local NWS forecast.

Last edited:
Good point. I camped out there one night that was forecast for a few thunderstorms, but in fact a couple inches of rain fell, and overnight the Wild (measured near 113) went from 150cfs to around 5,000 cfs. It, Spruce Brook, and Cypress Brook were all utterly impassable. Not just risky, but deadly impossible. I was lucky to have Spider Bridge still there at the time or I would not have gotten out for at least another day. Note carefully your river & major stream crossings and watch that forecast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up everybody. I'll keep an eye on the forecast.
Also, are the fees at Imp and Wild River Campground both $8 per person?
GorpBurp

I don't know what AMC is charging for lean-tos these days but according to the WMNF website Wild River CG is $16/vehicle.
-vegematic

Just got back; the weather was incredible, and the crowds in the rest of the region pretty much evaporate with the extra drive up to the area.

Imp Shelter charges $8 right now.

The water level in the river was low, lower than I've seen over a half-dozen visits (including a few "Wild" rain events). Nonetheless, I saw trout above the cascades on Moriah Brook (way up, not just the gorge) and caught two medium rainbows just off Route 113 (between the access road and Route 2).

The bugs were practically non-existent in many areas; thicker in others. Never used the hated deet; did appreciate my bug-free tent.

Imp Shelter is in beautiful shape (what a tank!), but the viewing area out front is brushing in. Needs a chainsaw or backhoe.

I stayed in the Blue Brook Shelter at its new location (at the campground); it has a new roof and one of the beams doesn't fit quite perfectly (cavils!). They also removed all the helpful nails and left a couple of wooden pegs. Needs more nails. The caretaker said they moved it by helicopter in three pieces. It was a rickety dump up on the ridge (in an otherwise gorgeous spot, with waterfall for pre-dinner bathing), but is a solid and beautiful piece now.

Have a great trip; mine was A+!

--Mike.

The water level in the river was low, lower than I've seen over a half-dozen visits (including a few "Wild" rain events). Nonetheless, I saw trout above the cascades on Moriah Brook (way up, not just the gorge) and caught two medium rainbows just off Route 113 (between the access road and Route 2).

Now that's just evil, posting this when some of us spent the weekend in town in the heat wave. :p :D

"To everything (turn, turn, turn)..."

There is a season: it was just my turn to have a good one (and you can only imagine the number of unrequited casts those two fishies represented). I had been "chasing it" a bit on this trip, but those two strikes (never mind landing the little champs) paid for all the effort.

The high scrub and bog bridges on the Kenduskeag Trail ("A Pleasant Walk" in Abenaki, I hear) were also highly gratitude-inducing.

As for the picture-perfect stealth campsite near the upper cascade pools on Moriah Brook, I can just sigh and not tell you where they are.

And don't bother spending time walking barefoot on the rocks at the river: it's boring and you might fall in. You won't feel the water's flow or have a moment's peace at all. Nothing to see here.

"...And a time for every purpose under heaven..." It was just my turn.