Wildcat/Carter Range Q's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I'm thinking on going on a hike up the Wildcats & Carters next Mon/Tues if the weather is good, via a stay at Carter Notch Hut. (AT going N to North Carter, then backtrack down the N Carter Trail) A few Q's:

1) which branch of the Imp Trail would be recommended? The south branch looks easier but the north branch going over Imp Face looks more fun. (Need to check trail maps, right now I'm looking at my GPS's online maps which I think are the same ones used by topozone which may be out-of-date)

2) any sugg's on transportation back to Pinkham Notch? This seems close enough to Gorham that I could just walk over to Dolly Copp campground (assuming it has a phone? :confused: ) and call a cab to pick me up there. Car spotting may be an issue, I'm doing it with a friend but my car's having transmission trouble so we only have 1 car.

3) can you leave a car at Dolly Copp Campground overnight if you're not staying there? (another option instead of a carspot)

4) what sort of kitchen facilities are there at Carter Notch Hut? I've been there once but didn't pay attention :/ Are there pots & a stove to boil water for pasta?

I know I could probably make some phone calls to ask some of these, but this forum has me spoiled :rolleyes:

p.s. if anyone's interested in going along (either the whole thing, or just the Wildcats part on Day 1), feel free to PM/email me. Weather still looks slightly iffy though for Monday. (chance thunderstorms for Gorham but sunny in Jackson :confused: :confused: )

arghman said:
1) which branch of the Imp Trail would be recommended? The south branch looks easier but the north branch going over Imp Face looks more fun. (Need to check trail maps, right now I'm looking at my GPS's online maps which I think are the same ones used by topozone which may be out-of-date)
That sums it up pretty well but the North branch is not enough more difficult to undo the advantage of going over the Imp Face (the only real difference is a little bit of elevation gain) unless you're really tired and just want to get down or are trying to do a bushwhack back to the 19-Mile Brook trailhead.

arghman said:
4) what sort of kitchen facilities are there at Carter Notch Hut? I've been there once but didn't pay attention :/ Are there pots & a stove to boil water for pasta?
I believe they are pretty well stocked. This was once a full-service hut and I don't think they've taken much away (and certainly not the stove!).

arghman said:
which branch of the Imp Trail would be recommended? The south branch looks easier but the north branch going over Imp Face looks more fun. (Need to check trail maps, right now I'm looking at my GPS's online maps which I think are the same ones used by topozone which may be out-of-date)

The views from Imp Face definitely make the north branch worthwhile. :cool:

^MtnMike^

arghman said:

As I recall the North Carter trail is almost exactly mid point on the loop so mileage is the same either way. If there are views to be had then the Imp Face (North) direction wins hands down! It's worth the extra little elevation gain.

If there are no views or if water levels are very high then the South arm is easier. There are a bunch of small stream crossings along the headwall and a fairly major one down low on the North arm.

Bob

Okay, when I went up that way last winter we went the opposite direction, in the branch of the Imp Trail that begins with this sign: Imp 2.2, N. Carter Trail 3.1. I don't know which that was, but it definitely went over an open fantastic viewpoint, so that's the way to go after coming down the North Carter Trail. I'm sorry I don't have more detail.

As for Carter Hut, there is a fully-stocked (equipment-wise) kitchen with a huge propane stove and oven available for use. All you could ever want for pots, pans, cast-iron skillets, dishes, cups, bowls, knifes, flatware, etc. is there. Even cookie sheets. This time of year there will be running, potable water. There should also be a refrigerator (low-voltage) available for guest use. Make sure to latch it shut. You must pack out your leftovers.

Dolly Copp has trailhead parking for the Daniel Webster Scout Trail and the Great Gulf Link so overnight parking shouldn’t be an issue. The Great Gulf lot is about the same distance from the Imp trailheads and would be another possibility. Also, hitchhiking is pretty easy on Rt. 16.

My two cents on the car issue, I second the hitchhiking plan. Leave your car at Pinkham Notch where you can begin the wildcats and then hitch back. Many, many hikers passing through this way. There will be some cars parked at the Carter trailhead and even more up at the Nineteen Mile trailhead(back toward Pinkham), and you may be able to snag someone at the parking lot. Other wise, bank on good trail karma that you'll get a ride...do good for others and it shall come back to you. I'm a female driver/hiker and I've given numerous rides in this area...good luck...sue...ctsparrow

:cool: :cool: :cool: Thanks everyone for all the info. I think the biggest uncertainty at this point is weather, though if the Monday forecast turns out to be afternoon tstorms we will probably try to get started early and spend some time hanging out at the hut for the rest of the day.

If yuo are okay with hitching, do North Imp, view is much better & worthwhile. Footing is a bit better in spots making no more difficult. Then leave car at PNVC.

If you don't want to hitch start at 19 Mile, only reason to do South Imp is for the bushwhack that will bring you back close to 19 Mile or you can follow old road that brings you into back of Camp Dodge which is about 1/4 mile down 16 from 19 mile.

I personally have never taken the North Imp Branch but the South Imp Branch is useful in getting in better position (closer to Pinkham) on Rt 16 if you don't mind a small bushwack. When you reach the last mile or so of the Southh Imp Branch You will hear Cowboy Brook due south. Head off the trail in that direction. In maybe 1/4 mile, you will reach the brook itself. Follow the brook (the footing is good on the brook itself) until you reach the remnants of a dam/mill in the brook. From the dam, about 10 yards into the woods on the north side of the brook is a large metal tank which is situated on a road. Follow the road west and you will reach the AMC volunteer Camp Dodge, simply follow the road through the camp and directlyout onto Route 16. You will end up a good mile or more closer to Pinkham than if you were to directly follow the trail.

I am only suggesting this because after hiking Wildcat's/Carters I could not get a ride on Route 16 so therefore had to hike all the way back to Pinkham on Rt 16 which, believe me, is not a welcome feeling on weary feet not looking forward to walking an pavement.

Good Luck ;)