Wildcat D - 5/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
I got a late okay from my wife to get away for the day, and I had to make a decision about where I wanted to go. My list of remaining peaks is getting short, and I really want to finish. Wildcat D was still hanging out there all by itself, so I figured, “why not?” I was saving that peak for last, for many different reasons. It was going be a family event, but with both of my in-laws in poor health, that wasn’t going to happen.

It was another early alarm clock day, but I hit the snooze button a few times and finally got out of bed about 4 AM. Everything was packed, so I just had to lug it out to the car and be on my way. It was already sixty degrees when I started the drive. The MWO forecast called for high winds, so it appeared that in the trees was the place to be.

I made it to Pinkham and got ready. I made the briefest of visits to the Trading Post for bug spray, and off I went. I safely crossed Route 16 and found the Lost Pond Trailhead. After a few minutes, I also found Lost Pond. The Lost Pond Trail is in good shape, no snow and just a little mud. There is one bog bridge that is underwater. Little did I know that the good times were about to end. In no time at all, I was at the Wildcat Ridge Trail junction.

A sharp left turn, and right into a steep uphill. That was the order of the day; steep. The trail up to Wildcat Ridge is unrelenting. Pretty straightforward though, just go up. So I did, eventually coming to some open ledges that looked across the Mt. Washington. The Obs called the wind right. In the open, there was a strong breeze, maybe 30-40 mph. I nearly lost my green Red Sox hat, which would have pleased some people :). I secured the hat to my pack, but after several calls from passing motorists about the sun glaring off my head, I put it back on :D. Up and up I went, pausing several times to catch my breath and take some pictures. The trail is in fantastic shape. A little mud, one or two step over blowdowns and very little snow.

After topping out on the ridge, there were a few ups and downs, PUD’s I think is the technical term :rolleyes:. There was still a little snow and ice on the trail, but it was easily avoided. I came to the top of the ski trails and saw the only other person I saw on the mountain. He was getting things ready for Saturday’s opening of the gondolas for the tourist season. A few hundred feet more and I was on top, #45 for me. The observation deck is still closed. I was tempted to go on it anyway, but decided that wasn’t a good idea. I took a few pictures from the summit, and began the walk to the ski area. There’s a nice outlook (thanks Rocket21) to the south and the view is awesome. I located the Polecat ski trail and expected an uninteresting trip down. How wrong I was. There are spectacular views across to Mt. Wash, the Great Gulf and to Adams and Madison. I was waiting for Jefferson to stick his head up, but could barely make it out. There were several mud pits on the ski trail, one sucked my left boot in and came close breaching the boot :eek:.

About an hour later, I was at the parking lot for the ski area and had about a three-quarter mile walk back to Pinkham. I thought about hitching a ride, then I thought, “if you were these people, would you pick you up?” So I walked, reaching my car about three and a half hours after I left.

I was a little selfish on this one, wanting to go solo. I haven’t had much time to myself with all that’s going on in our world and I felt like I needed “a moment.” I got it. No deep thoughts, no introspection, just me, my boots and the mountain. I had a super weather day; clear, hot, and enough of a breeze to keep the bugs away. Except one, that landed on my eyelid. I swatted it, and it got stuck in my eyelashes and wouldn’t come loose. I got it out, and had an uneventful rest of the day.

some pictures http://share.shutterfly.com/action/...V&emid=sharshar&linkid=link5&cid=EMsharshar"]

Last edited:
I I nearly lost by green Red Sox hat, which would have pleased some people :). I secured the hat to my pack, but after several calls from passing motorists about the sun glaring off my head, I put it back on :D.

Awww c'mon Bobby I am sure it ain't tha....AHHHHHH DEAR GOD MY EYES MY EYES PUT THE HAT BACK ON AYIEEEEEEEE

:p:D

Brian

Bobby- didn't want us along?- no wonder I am omitting you from hiking plans....:D

Nice day to get out and nice job.

Hope I can be around for the finish..

Nice TR and pictures!!

Which three do you have left? Which do you think you'll finish on? Congrats on being almost done!!

ETA: Ah, just snuck a peak at your list over on Rocks. Let me guess, you are NOT planning on a Galehead finish, right? :D

Last edited:
Bobby- didn't want us along?- no wonder I am omitting you from hiking plans....:D..

To paraphrase the late Karen Carpenter: You've only just begun to pay for that omission. :p

Bobby, great job sneaking away and knocking down a fine hike. Hiking alone definitely has its own reward.

So, the completion of your list is drawing near. Time to start thinking about expanding your hiking horizons outside NH. :)

Marty

Last edited:
Awww c'mon Bobby I am sure it ain't tha....AHHHHHH DEAR GOD MY EYES MY EYES PUT THE HAT BACK ON AYIEEEEEEEE

:p:D

Brian
Were you one of the calls I got? Sounds familiar

Tuco said:
Bobby- didn't want us along?- no wonder I am omitting you from hiking plans....
Payback!

trishandalex said:
Let me guess, you are NOT planning on a Galehead finish, right?
I'm doing everything I can to avoid a Galehead finish!

jason berard said:
What's left?
Garfield, Galehead and Carrigain

marty said:
Time to start thinking about expanding your hiking horizons outside NH.
I am thinking about that, maybe starting in September!

Glad to hear of your escape to Wildcats...was wondering which one as per your step by step status on facebook.