Wildcats and Carter-Moriah Traverse 07.23.05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
On Saturday July 23 I'm planning on a Wildcats Carter-Moriah Traverse.
This hike would start at the Glen Ellis Falls Parking Area and end in Gorham on the Carter Moriah Trail. I plan to start early around 7AM and hope to get it all done by 7PM. This would require a carspot in Gorham at the end of the day. If anyone would like to come along or help out with a carspot please let me know. If the weather is looking very bad this would be rescheduled to that Sunday (7/24) or another weekend date.

Book times
Wildcats and Carter-Moriah 17.7 miles 7,100 elevation 12:25 time

Folks...

I'm definitely interested in this one! I can car spot although, I'll have to clean the "gatorade" bottles out of the back seat first!

-Dr. Wu

Brian, consider parking at Pinkham notch and taking the Lost Pond trail to Wildcat ridge trail instead. There's a bridge crossing the river and then a nice flat hike in before the steep stuff begins. Only adds a mile to the hike but Lost Pond is a beautiful place.

I'd go but I'll be in PA

Great to have you all along! As soon as we know how many people we'll have all together we'll have to figure out the carspot arrangements.

Jim, thanks for the tip on Lost Pond. I'm not sure I'll want to add another mile to an already long hike. However, your trip reports make it sound rather compelling.

Mackreth and I would also like to do this hike but have always considered doing it in reverse. We had planned on spotting a bike at Pinkham and coasting back down to Gorham. Put it off because of the long drive and now I no longer have a car that can hold a bike. Maybe a key& car swap is in order...we could meet at Pinkham (I'm assuming most will be coming from the south) and we could drive your car down to Gorham. Keys could be exchanged en' route and when we get to Pinkham, our car is there and when you get to Gorham, your car is there. No back and forth driving.

My nephew and I did this very hike two days ago. We started at 5:30am but lost a half hour because Steven decided to go for a swim in the Ellis River. A slick rock got him, but he was able to generally keep his pack out of the water. We did the river crossing in an attempt to save a mile, and 30 minutes. Oh well.

We finished at 8:50pm but had a 45 minute side trip to the Imp shelter for water.

Good luck!

Looks like Saturday weather is going to be great. Sorry, mountaingirl but this trip is a go for Saturday, maybe next time.
BIGEarl, thanks for the luck. I hope we stick to a pretty fast pace and get done on time.

Is there anyone in this group who would feel comfortable with a car swap? The Mackreth and I would like to do this traverse from Gorham to Wildcat. We could meet at Pinkham, swap keys, and we would drive the car down to the Gorham trailhead and swap keys 'en route. Drop me a note if anyone is up for this or if anyone else is interested in doing the route in reverse.

Brian and Mackreth

Last I heard on this was to meet in Gorham at 0630 on Saturday and work out the car thing then. Any more specifics?

Did I miss the trip report and pics for this one?

I know they went and successfully completed the traverse and I can't wait to hear all about it too!