Winter Barrier is Up at the MA/CT Border on Mount Washington Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
FYI...

They installed the winter barrier at the border of CT & MA on Mount Washington Road, right at the parking area for the AMC North-West Camp/Cabin. this weekend. This year they used two 'jersey-barriers' that span the road.

This means you can no longer drive from Salisbury CT up and over into the Mount Washington State Park in Mass during the winter. To get to those trailheads you will need to access that area by either Rte 22/Bash-Bish Falls in NY or Mount Washington Road off of Rte 41 in Mass.

If the weather is iffy I would suggest using Rte 41 to Mount Washington Road, the road from Bash Bish can be a little sketchy in crappy weather.

I’m curious. Do you know why they block off the road? For that matter, do you know which state blocks it off?

Back in April 1976, probably the day after Patriot’s Day, whatever that date was, a friend and I drove along that road heading south. There was a saw horse across it right at the state line which bore a sign that said ‘‘Danger — Fire.’’ We didn't smell any smoke, so we moved it out of the way and drove through. I wonder if the saw horse could have been there all winter, although why it would warn of fire I can’t imagine.

Mount Washington Rd has houses on the Mass side almost to the Ct-Ma line, and while it's several miles of dirt road, it's suprisingly well mantained year round. It can be a little sloppy in mud season though. From the Ct line the same road is uninhabited, and a lot rougher and remote untill the summer homes on Riga Lake. I guess it's just a matter of the town of Salisbury having no reason to maintain it in the winter months. Some years they use Jersey Barriers, like now, or large boulders but at least they place them just south of the AMC parking to give access to Northwest Cabin.

Dave

Closed by Mt. Riga Corp.

It's been discussed before on the "Questions about Race, Alander, Etc." thread but a little-known group of homeowners formed the Mt. Riga Corp. which owns the road on the Connecticut side and they close it in winter.
The barriers should be on the Ct. side of the state border.