winter dog jacket?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good jacket for a winter hiking dog?
My Lab has been out in some cold temps and for only the second time in years she was a little cold on Saturday.
She's a small lab with lots of hiking experience and likes to prowl the woods close by as I hike so a jacket that's warm but holds up to a dog walking thru the thick stuff would be good.

Thanks

Hey Alan--

I picked up a small down vest at a thrift store, and put it on Terra, buttoned it all up and fastened it down with an empty dog pack. Seemed to work quite well, although at times I had to straighten it or put a leg back in. She doesn't really need a coat, so I scrapped it.

I am, however, modifying four short gaiters to go above her booties, to keep snow and ice balls from forming on the tops of the boots. Will post back here how that goes.

Happy Trails to you and Bookah!

I like the down vest idea, but if you can't find one that works, our friends have had good luck with the ruffwear jacket they got their Vizsla (http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Overcoat-2?sc=2&category=12). The fleece lining has a very high fur-adherence factor, but it's held up to several years of Toby bombing through the woods at high speed.

I'm also intrigued by d-fa's gear (http://d-fa.com/) but I've only seen it at agility trials.

Last edited:
I'm sure if this thread gets going that you will have a lot of suggestions. The jacket I use for Lauky is from Animal Wrappers. It is a double fleece with some air space between the two layers. I would guess that it would be equal to a 300 plus in Polartec insulation ratings. Lauky doesn't mind it at all. It leaves his legs free but covers well his back, chest, and stomach. I had some initial problems with the Velcro sticking when in the snow, but I came up with some simple solutions.

Lauky had no problem with the near zero temps on Sat. It folds flat and doesn't take much space and I carry it in the summer also in case we get caught in a cold rainstorm.

The fold back collar also protected him well when he was attacked from behind by a Golden Retriever who jumped him and grabbed him by the neck. He came out of it unscathed. But that's another story. :mad:

This Amazon link seems to be very similar to what I got for Lauky. http://www.amazon.com/Coat-Plaid-Fl...QI/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1295231432&sr=8-21

014-6.jpg

023-5.jpg

Last edited:
I like the down vest idea, but if you can't find one that works, our friends have had good luck with the ruffwear jacket they got their Vizsla (http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Overcoat-2?sc=2&category=12). The fleece lining has a very high fur-adherence factor, but it's held up to several years of Toby bombing through the woods at high speed.

I'm also intrigued by d-fa's gear (http://d-fa.com/) but I've only seen it at agility trials.

We've got these for our dogs and they're great except for the one negitive in the reviews. Snow tends to collect in the chest area. As long as you clean it out fairly often you're okay but if you don't keep up on it quite a bit of ice can form directly on the chest and belly.

Bookah is a small Lab, right around 50lbs. She wears a Ruffwear harness when we're in the steeps or I think we'll be on icy ledges because of the handle on top. We can hand her up or down a ledge too high for her to jump.

She's been out hiking every winter of her life and I've only seen her cold twice.
Once a few years ago on a brutally cold and windy bushwhack while we were taking a break. And 2 days ago on a cold, Catskills 'whack where there was a lot of stop and go.
Just read a review by someone who said his 50lb Lab didn't fit well in one of the Ruffwear dog coats, but Ruffwear's Cloud Chaser jacket fit perfectly.
Anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks for all the great ideas. Still thinking about this.

Alan

I like the look of the Cloud Chaser. It looks like it would resolve the problems I have fitting one of mine with the overcoat (a 50# lab/whippett mix) as it comes up tightly on the smaller belly. The "model" dog on the web site has the same large chest/small belly as Nellie.

Sheep uses a Cloud Chaser and it's an excellent product. I really like that it covers his belly so he doesn't get snowballs on his chest. He actually very seldom wears a coat when hiking (he's pretty damn furry) but when he does, I always go with the Cloud Chaser.

http://www.rei.com/product/762023

A few reviewers found the Cloud Chaser caused abrasions in the underarms, but otherwise its well reviewed.

Its tough to find stuff for active dogs! Terra has a few abraded patches from where ice formed at the tops of her Ultra Paws Rugged Dog booties -- INHO the BEST booties because they are double strapped and can't fall off!

Recently found a pair of dog gaiters online, will try them out this weekend and report back here.

I think ChinookTrail needs to start a Wild Dogs Line!Hint Hint!!

The Cloud Chaser is a great jacket. Toby LOVES his and gets all grumpy when I take it off at the end of a hike. My little guy plays hard, and the jacket has easily stood up to his abuses... I'd say it's definitely durable enough for bushwhacking.

As is noted in the reviews, I have noticed that in deep snow the sleeve cuffs do ice up. I'm going to try lining them with duct tape on our next hike to see if that makes a difference.

Waiting for a chance to call RuffWear.
Also tried the k9topcoat website. Plugged in my Lab's dimensions and weight and rec'd messages she is outside of their parameters. I left them an email.

Alan

Bookah is not much bigger than Terra, I was hoping to get her a full body suit for ice ball control.
Used the gaiters with less success than I hoped today, but they were of some help.

Thanks for that link, Tom.

Home made

Salty had his belly shaved for surgery. Most of the dog coats I found online do not cover the belly, so I made one out of an old fleece vest of mine. It was not only cheaper than buying a new one; but also form-fitted to his size. I cut the fabric and doubled it over to make it warmer there and also to fit snugly, so it doesn't get caught on branches and stuff when he is running around.

New Winter Coat by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

The zipper (front on a person) zips up the back of the dog.

Good Job

Salty had his belly shaved for surgery. Most of the dog coats I found online do not cover the belly, so I made one out of an old fleece vest of mine. It was not only cheaper than buying a new one; but also form-fitted to his size. I cut the fabric and doubled it over to make it warmer there and also to fit snugly, so it doesn't get caught on branches and stuff when he is running around. The zipper (front on a person) zips up the back of the dog.
Good Job. There is nothing like a home made job well done. Does he keep his booties in his pockets?:D

Thanks, Ed. Though I have to admit that the large arm holes do let some snow in. So far since Salty's surgery we have been just doing relatively short hikes, so it has not really been an issue. Some of the jackets others have mentioned appear to have sleeves attached, which might work better (if the right fit could be found).

Salty had his belly shaved for surgery. Most of the dog coats I found online do not cover the belly,...

Lauky's coat goes to the bottom of his rib cage. Below that his belly is exposed, but he insists on it!!! Otherwise, when he meets people on the trail and rolls over on his back, how are they going to scratch his belly if the coat's in the way?:D

Just don't throw your money away on waterproof-breathable products, such as Gore-Tex.