Winter pack suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
I need a new winter pack. Here's what I'm looking for :

- 36 to 45 L
- Snowshoes friendly
- Minimum pockets, zippers and straps
- More high/narrow than large
- Padded hip belt, small pocket on it would be a plus
- No mesh backpanel
- Hydration cavity is not essential
- Less than 200,00 $ (USD)
- Bushwhacking friendly (strong fabric)

Any suggestions ???? If you think of other features that should be on my list, please chime in.

Thanks to all,
-Julie

timmus said:
The EMS Summit TL (which I bought after Couchie ripped my old pack to shreds when you were at the B&B), has served me well so far. It's large, fairly narrow, has a flap for putting snowshoes under, has a padded hip belt, seems to be strong, and sold at the time for about $100. It does come with a pouch on the back but it can easily be removed. There are mesh pockets on the sides, which I guess is a negative to you. I don't use them, so if they rip, no big deal.

If you go to EMS.COM, a search for 'Summit TL' will give you 2 hits, women's and men's models. The pouch as pictured on the web page would not cause a problem to bushwhacking.

FWIW, the men's version won an editor's choice award from Backpacker Magazine last year, and it is currently on sale.

(I have no affiliation with EMS or B.P. Mag.)

I'd check out what EMS has. We have used our Summit bags for the last 2 Winters and they work great. Keep in mind that EMS usually has a 20% off sale in mid/late October.

I use my Gregory Shasta backpack for my winter pack and it seems to work well. I've also used by regular daypack, Granite Gear Arrete, but its really not geared to carrying snow shoes; it gets a bit heavy and tends to sag away from my back.

I've used my GoLite Jam pack (38 +7 liters, 90USD) in all kinds of horrendously thick bushwhacking conditions and have carried MSR snowshoes in it's outer back-zip pocket. It weighs 1¼ lbs compared to up to nearly 4½ for the MEC Brio. I've loaded it up for a summer overnight plus 4 liters of water and it was surprisingly comfortable. I find that all the comfy (and heavy) padding that some packs have soak up sweat and rain and get even heavier. In winter the sweat freezes.

I was pretty skeptical as to how it would hold up with all the rough treatment I knew it would get but after using it all last winter and this summer I'm amazed at how well it has stood up.

It's not very water proof and now I use it with a big heavy duty plastic bag on the inside that increases its weight by about ¼ lb. :eek:

timmus said:

- 36 to 45 L
- Snowshoes friendly
- Minimum pockets, zippers and straps
- More high/narrow than large
- Padded hip belt, small pocket on it would be a plus
- No mesh backpanel
- Hydration cavity is not essential
- Less than 200,00 $ (USD)
- Bushwhacking friendly (strong fabric)

Any suggestions ???? If you think of other features that should be on my list, please chime in.

Thanks to all,
-Julie
I like my Osprey Switch 40, especially the "wings" for the snowshoes and the back panel entry.
A concensus, this ain't.

sardog1 said:
I'm curious -- What's wrong with mesh that you (and apparently now Lowe as well) object to?

I'm affraid it's gonna get filled with snow, which means unecessary weight.

Also, I really don't like the very narrow interior that the ventilated back panel creates (saw that on the Osprey Aura 50). I think it adds more weight on the front of the pack, and gets you unbalanced. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

REI Talus 50

When I bought my winter pack I schlepped everything I meant to carry in or on it to the store, loaded the pack and tried it on. That included 'shoes, 'pons and ice axe. Something of a hassle, but worth it.

I've been very happy with it for two years now. They often put it on sale for around $100 later in the season.

Julie - It appears based on the L capacity, that you want a mountaineering pack. If you are interested in an ultralight option, you might want to consider Granite Gear's Alpine Vapor. It is an adaptation of the Vapor Trail, refined for alpine winter pursuits:
Alpine Vapor

You might also want to opt for the lid. I have it on my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack and love it!

Thanks,
Marty

Bob Kittredge said:
When I bought my winter pack I schlepped everything I meant to carry in or on it to the store, loaded the pack and tried it on. That included 'shoes, 'pons and ice axe. Something of a hassle, but worth it.

I've been very happy with it for two years now. They often put it on sale for around $100 later in the season.

Bob
I did a search on thier site for the Talus. It yielded 0 matches. Are they calling this something else now?

Julie,

I also have the Chernobyl pack by ColdColdWorld. It is a great pack, very light weight, comfortable and ideal for Winter day hikes. I love it and can highly recommend.

However, if you think that you might do overnight winter trips I might also suggest looking at some other brands. These packs don't have an internal frame and carry most of the weight on your shoulders rather than distributing this to hips, back etc....if you are packing more than about 35lbs it can be an issue. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Puck said:
Bob
I did a search on thier site for the Talus. It yielded 0 matches. Are they calling this something else now?

I bought the Talus 35 from the REI-Outlet for $49. I think they have discontinued that line. Too bad, I like the 35 but I'd rather have the Talus 50 for winter use.