Winter Peakbag and backpack Trip in the Catskills Jan 6th-8th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the Catskill Mountains January 6th thru 8th. I'd like to bag several 35ers and also camp with some good friends and see some of that beautiful Catskill backcountry winter scenery.

My plan is this:
Meet at the Devils Path Trailhead on Spruceton Rd (Rt 6) Friday morning at 10am. I'd like to be on the trail before 11. It looks like there is a possibility for a bushwack to North Dome from the DP, but I am unfamiliar with this area and I don't know if there is a route from the DP to North Dome. So I may save North Dome for another trip to the Catskills. We'll take the DP up and over Westkill and then down into Diamond Notch where we will camp Friday night at the Diamond Notch Lean-to.

Some people maybe arriving Friday night and they will be hiking up the Diamond Notch Trail from the end of Spruceton Rd. It's a short easy hike from the trailhead, perfect for a night hike.

Saturday morning more people will be meeting at the DN lean-to from Spruceton Rd and from there we will continue the hike on the Devils Path to the Devil's Acre lean- to, which is in the col between Hunter and SW Hunter. We will set up camp there and then bushwack up to SW Hunter and if there is time, maybe hike up to Hunter as well.

Sunday, get an early start. Bag Hunter if it was not bagged the day before. Take the Spruceton Trail down to Spruceton Rd, stopping at the Colonel's Chair should there be time. We also plan on doing a bushwack off of the Spruceton Trail up to the summit of Rusk Mountain.

If your interested, please sign up here: http://thebackpacker.com/trips/trip/866.php

-
I have some questions. Has anyone ever bushwacked to North Dome from the Devils path? Is it doable in the winter? How long does it take?

thanks

Last edited:
I will be in the Sewards that weekend, but to answer your question...

It is somewhat common to do North Dome from the DP. From memory, there is a sharp turn that is marked on the TC map where most people will bushwack from. As far as path, there are no "paths' as say the ADK bushwacks but you may find herdpaths here and there, SW Hunter surely has a pretty defined one if you know how to find it. Of course with winter here, if somebody has hiked ND before, then you'll find tracks. MCorsar and I just did ND today but from Sherrill. We ran into 4 3500 members who did it from Timber Camp (off Rt 28) but I haven't seen any trip reports from DP, but that is a common way to do ND. It is a steep climb still from the DP but certainly doable. I don't recall off from memory how long it is, but just use your scale and add about 20-30% due to bushwacks. It isn't terribly thick bushwack from what I recall until you get to the top but even then it's not real bad.

Jay

Jay is quite correct w/ his reply. If you have the NY/NJ Trail Conference map, it shows a swamp area where the trail turns. There is also a spot a little north of there where the trail goes just over the corner of the private parcel. You can use one of those points to take a compass bearing and then leave the trail at the appropriate time. There are steep, ledgy areas, as is typical of most Catskill peaks, but they can be avoided or negotiated if care is used. It's not all that tough a climb.

However, I'll just add this-doing North Dome w/ a full winter pack, then walking the length of West Kill to Diamond Notch would be quite a day. It's a long ridge, which includes a little sub-peak (St. Annes Peak) on the way. We had a good-sized group dayhike West Kill end-to-end last March w/ winter daypacks, and it was a strenuous hike. Throwing in North Dome would be doable, but tough, especially w/ the extra weight you will have. The rest of your plan sounds quite resonable and pretty fun-hope you have good weather. Since the first little bit of early snow, winter seems to be somewhat delayed around here this year. :rolleyes:

Matt

thanks again for the info.

I'll drop pack before venturing up North Dome. It would really be cool to grab that peak. The info posted thus far has been of great assistance.

If I can add North Dome, that'll give me potential for 5 35er peaks on this trip. That would be really cool.

I may alter plan and do Sherrill and North Dome from 42 and then hike into Diamond Notch on the Diamond Notch trail from Spruceton Rd and save Westkill for my Devils Path Dayhike in May, since the trail goes right over Westkill anyway.

1.)The Hunter, SW Hunter, Rusk loop would be a good hike from the Diamond Notch lean-to. About 12 miles, full day, less if your bushwacking skills are up to it. This would leave a short hike to2.) Westkill from the Notch Falls 5-6 miles roundtrip.3.) ND could be a seperate third day hike or first from the DP trailhead. 5 peaks , 3 days.

SPPPOOOOOOONNNNNN.... I like your avatar. :)

Ralph recently went to ND as viewed from his trip report... That should make it a faster hike and he did it from the Devil's Path...

Jay

looks like it's snowing pretty good up in the 'skills, and will continue to do so through the week and into the weekend. Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Hey Jay,
I wouldn't be surprised to see another foot of snow in the hills after today's snow. And it is suppose to snow again Thursday.It looks like snowshoe conditions for some time to come. Notice the trail marker on my avatar up to my knee. That was taken on the Devil's path last year.

Last edited:
Snow Good, Rain bad!

it is raining with a bit of large flakes of snow down here, makes for really sucky skiing! :mad:

But, I was thinking today that the catskills and at elevation, hopefully this will produce all snow which is good. However, look for a slower hike this weekend, whereever you go.

Jay

ENS did you find someone to do it with you yet? I need to get those peaks myself but I just can't do it on Friday, so I guess I will see you Friday afternoon or evening.
Are you just bringing your Bivy?

LT: I talked to Pennsy last week and he was thinking of possibly going up with me Friday and if so, we'll probably do Sherrill and North Dome from 42. Otherwise, I may just hike up the Devils Path to Diamond Notch and save Sherrill and North Dome for another day. Or, take my time and get to the 'skills late morning early afternoon, enjoy a nice meal in Hunter or Phoenecia and hike into DN from Spruceton Rd.

I had little more of an adventure than I wanted two weeks ago in Shenandoah National Park, so if I'm by myself, I'll cut back on the hiking significantly. Learned many lessons in Shenandoah. :)

I think'll we'll be seeing some big time snow in dem dar mountains.

hermit, great photo of the Devils Path trail marker! Love it!

Jay, again thanks for the info! The planned mileage for this trip is a lot less than what this group normally does considering the snow in the forecast. We'll really stoked though.

ENS get in touch with me sometime and maybe we can meet in Pheonica for lunch before we head up to DN.

I am sure we can find something to do around DN maybe explore the falls and creek.

Sherrill and ND are nice to do as a thru hike if you have someone else with you to spot cars. You can come in from the Forest Preserve parking area on Rt. 42, up over Sherrill, then ND, and then out at the hairpin turn "swampy" area in Mink Hollow that Matt and Jay mentioned. You gotta love a thru hike!