winter sleeping bags

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
i am curious to know if anyone has a north face tundra winter bag. i'm probably going to buy one this weekend because they're 40% off on saturday only, i just want to know if anyone has good/bad experiences with that particular bag. is it really warm to -20?

luke

i've always found TNf sleeping bags to be to narrow and confining.

I like it

Well, I think it is supposed to be confining - if used correctly.

I have the Tundra and I like it very much. I am 5'10" and about 185 lbs and the Reg is a good fit for me - even room for boot liners and a Nalgene or two.

How a bag's rating corresponds to individual comfort level is just too variable, right? I mean, I have used this bag down to -20 but I really have no basis for comparison (to other bags). TNF synthetic bags do run lighter than most, so you might be suspicious of a more snug fit or a bit less loft than a heavier competitor?

Definitely consider a compression sack if volume in your pack is at a premium. Like any other worthy synthetic winter bag, this one can be a little bulky if casually stuffed.

Now, TNF stuff must be bought at discount from MSRP, and 40% off is a good deal, but I think 20-30% off is about the usual for this bag.

Last edited:
Having owned to many bags to count..

I'll give you my .02 on winter bags. Down!!!! I've tried bags made with Polarguard, Polarguard HV, Lite Loft etc. etc... No matter what the rating they were never as warm or a comfortable as down. Synthetic materials don't loft, drape or last as long as a down bag does. They also weigh more and don't stuff for beans. I switched from down to synthetic then back to down with the advent of Gore's Dry Loft as it gave me some comfort in thinking my bag would stay dry.. It did stay dry but only from the outside in. Trying to push your body moisture through 8-9 inches of loft and then having the moisture hitting a ptfe coating was like eating at McDonalds and trying to loose weight. The ptfe coating was not seeing enough of a temp differential, because the down was insulating it, to let the moisture escape. I actually wound up with moisture forming on the inside of the Dry Loft. I still have the bag but don't use it any more and it's been relegated to my rental department. I wound up purchasing a North Face 800+ fill -20 bag with a standard microfiber cover and other than it being a little snug it's been a very warm and reliable bag that breathes extremely well. If you take care of a down bag they will last almost forever. Most likely a synthetic will probably be a dog blanket in a few years. If I'm concerned about my bag getting wet from the outside in I stick it in my bivy sac that I always cary anyway in the winter. I'm not Just using down bags in the winter I have two 40's two 20's & one 0. I use the 40's for kayaking and boating along the soggy Maine coast and have no problems. The best part of down is that well it just plain feels good compared to synthetic. If you want a good deal on TNF stuff check out the TNF outlet in Freeport, ME their having a big sale that I think starts this weekend... Again just my .02 worth and that's not really worth all that much to begin with!!

-Kaibar

Last edited:
Down

I agree, down is the way to go. You always hear, if down gets wet you're in trouble. They reality is you are never going to dunk your bag in a river or stream. If it does get a little moist, air it out as you pack up camp. I had a North Face Darkstar, which I loved. Too heavy and bulky. I now use a Marrmot Cwm. Still weighs about the same but I can fit more food and clothing in my pack without bursting at the seams. Still getting use to the zipper on the Cwm. It is warm as hell.

IMO the fact that the bag is 40% off speaks for itself.....How often do you see Marmot (winter series), WM, or FF bags priced at 40% off???

Regarding the statement about TNF bags being narrow and confining.....I had a Cats Meow back in 2000 and yes, it was narrow and confining...My first bag and I had no idea what I was doing when looking for a qaulity bag. My girlfriend at the time fit in it nicely. Ended up being ebay material a few years ago.

Synthetic is great!

I'm not exactly an animal lover, but I'll try and go with synthetic whenever possible.

“How is down obtained?”
Typically, ducks and geese are lifted by their necks, their legs are tied, and their feathers are ripped out. The struggling birds often sustain injuries during plucking. They are then returned to their cages until they are ready to be plucked again. This process begins at about 9 weeks of age and occurs every 6 weeks until the birds go to slaughter.

Feathers are often plucked out of ducks and geese who are raised for food. Those raised for foie gras, especially, suffer terribly. They are force-fed up to six times a day with a funnel that is inserted into their throats, and up to 6 pounds of a salty, fatty corn mash is pumped into each bird’s stomach each day—until the birds’ livers have ballooned to four times their normal size.

Synthetic alternatives to down are not only cruelty-free, they are also cheaper and, unlike down, retain their insulating capabilities in all weather conditions

I have TNF Tundra, and it is good to -20, if used in conjunction with a VBL liner and adequately insulated. I bought my original Tundra 20 years ago, and when it started to lose it's loft ten years ago, TNF replaced it free of charge, all I had to pay was for the cleaning of the bag. I have been looking at down bags, but I never happen to have $700 burning a hole in my pocket. The weight is about the same, it is just a case of compressability and longevity. Also, the performance when damp is important. No bag is going to perform well if you dump a bottle of water in it, but it is the accumulation of condensation that is a real problem.

I took a North Face Blue Kazoo, with a microfiber shell for a month on the Continental Divide in Montana, and I was constantly fussing with it, breaking it out and hanging it up any time I took a break and the sun was out. I would be fiddling with the down, trying to open up the clumps so they would dry, only to pick up more moisture each night.

I still have that bag 15 years later, and it works as good as new, but I prefer down for shorter trips, where moisture build up is not such an issue.

Luke- Check out Wiggys for synthetics. Bomb proof #10 zippers, gaurunteed loft for life. Ask for the -20 bag that they make for the Royal Marines, 5 lbs. in a long/wide version. It is not listed on the website. The Ultima Thule would also be a good choice for winter camping here in the NE. It is a little heavier at six pounds for the long/wide, but is reported to work down to -40.