Winter Storm Watch Wed>Thurs (2/18-19)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today will probably be the most "interesting" waxing challenge of the winter. :confused:

How about, "Today will probably be the most interesting waxing challenge of the waning winter" :)

Snap, crackle, pop.....fizzle. So far. Only an inch or so on the ground in Franconia @ 1200' but it may start up again this evening and give us 2-4" by tomorrow morning. Still snowing lightly.

9 a.m. update: hold the phone, steadily snowing nice big heavy flakes now. Who knows what today will bring?

Last edited:
Its the day for upslope. ;) If you're downwind of the mountains, better luck next time. But if you're in the mountains, there should be a significant amount of snow thru the rest of the week. Skiers rejoice!

grouseking

A good 9 inches in the Conway area, with more coming down still. It's not super wet and heavy, but it's not perfect fluffy powder either.

Nice burst of snow mid-morning (thank you, upslope!) has brought the WV total up another three-four inches... By my reckoning on the valley floor (1500 feet), about 8" fresh. WV resort just reported a storm total of 11".

Come on up --M, it's still full-on winter up here.

Fascinating what 900 vertical feet can do! This morning we (Thornton, 700 feet elevation) got some white stuff coming down, but barely increased the accumulation. Ended up with 4" of wet, heavy stuff. Should pack down very well on hiking trails.

Come on up --M, it's still full-on winter up here.

Thanks, Drew, but I don't know how much more "up," I can handle, with two days on Pierce two weeks ago and three days in the Pemi ("...and you know my body hurt...") last weekend. I am currently a crashing wreck. There was no shortage of snow!

And looking forward to four days in High Peaks next month.

Now when is the big spring party weekend at Pinkham? Wanna go, but just off-peak, if you know what I mean.

--Mike

We ended up with about 8" of somewhat wet powder here yesterday, with another inch last night. More to come Sunday!

I shoveled about 6"+ of heavy, wet snow (cement) yesterday. It stuck to the snowshoes, dripped and dropped from the trees so I only trekked around my yard for a bit. Last night brought another 5" of more powdery snow. Good snowsho'n today :D :D

So ontop of what fell in the Whites, 4 Cannon- Wildcat 13 inches, another 8-12 inches of snow fell in upslope flow last night, now Bretton has had about 20 inches and several others the same. There will be an increased upslope again today with another 1-3 or 2-4 inches bring many places to 2 feet, then another possible major storm Sunday waiting in the heels. A clipper comes across the county and redvelops in the Gulf of Maine with what could be another 6-12 inch snowstorm. Snow lovers rejoice, the weather is making up for the bleak February. -Mattl

My mistake, Mike... you clearly aren't missing out on the "winter experience" this year!

It's all good, man. I'm now in the post-hike trough (DEAD tired, always hungry, a little just worn out, but still oddly charged up), and it's weird not to actively care what's snowing up there.

I'll now be watching the DAKs 'til mid-March, and April/May is probably for Sherburne (& the JV parts of the bowl), but I see a Waterville trip looking good, either for slides in good weather or skis in snowy! I still don't have the Tri's, and have always wanted to ski the woods up the Livermore. Maybe a good-weather slide hike for those still needing them is in order for this summer!

Meanwhile, enjoy the fresh goodness and watch out for Jigger Johnson comin' 'round the bend!

--Mike

Thornton at 700 feet got nothing overnight (OK, three snowflakes on my car), and only 4" wet heavy stuff yesterday.

Planning on Waterville today (Sandwich by Drakes Brook if brook bridged) to see what they got.

After receiving virtually no snow Wednesday night and the first half of Thursday, six inches of powder fell last night here in Littleton and we've received another two this morning and it's still snowing hard. The elevation of my home is almost exactly 1000 feet above sea level, so I can only imagine what's fallen at the true higher elevations.

6-14" of new snow on the Larcom Trail in the Ossipees today.

Solid foot in Waterville yesterday with a few more inches today

I measured a solid 12" yesterday in Waterville Valley, then went out to shovel another 2" today. It's been snowing all day and looks like another 1" may have accumulated. The ski area is claiming 18" and I believe them since they have been shrouded in snow clouds all day today (elevation does help). Skiing should have been epic for all those visiting us from the southern states.

Hoping the 5"-10" forecast for Sunday works out for us NH natives and our vacation week.

...MikeF