Wolf Jaws and Armstrong June 2, 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
A picture perfect day in the High Peaks. Pictures Here

Couldnt have picked a better day for my first trip to the High Peaks in a couple of years. Dropped 30+ pounds since January and was eager to test drive the new wheels :) .

Drove up from CT wednesday evening and checked into the Hostel in Keene Valley. My first experience with such a place. It was great! There were 3 college age kids staying there who were attending rock climbing school. The only downer is that one of them snored like a chainsaw without a muffler, unbelievable!

I woke at 5 and was on the trail by 5:30. Sun already fully up and temperature 51. I left from the Snow Mtn/Deer Brook trailhead. This trail immediately begins to gain altitude climbing along a very pretty brook. Pretty or not, this immediate rocky slippery climb was a rude awakening! Within 10 minutes I had shed my fleece. A noisy woodpecker kept cadence for me as I climbed.

I can tell you that one type of wildlife in abundance in the mountains are spiders. I found myself wishing for a partner just to have someone to break the webs for me...it seemed like they were all precisely 5'2" off the ground, that is, right at eye level for me...my arms got an aerobic workout from continously clearing them from my face.

This trail climbs steadily and eventually joins up with the WA White Trail, which continues a moderate climb until it reaches the col between Hedgehog and the Wolf's "chin". I should mention that the trail was dry with numerous water crossings from which to filter if you like. At this col is the only sizable stretch of level walking I would see for a looong time, like until I got to Beaver Meadow Falls. This is a very pleasant stretch of ridge walking...a gaggle of garrelous geese went up the pass at one point, startling me out of my puffing trance.

I thought of my co-workers back in the office...Hey! it's bagel day! Man, I'm glad I gave up those carbo-bombs months ago or I wouldnt be here on this lovely mountain today! :eek: I was however, cursing myself for not doing more squats to go along with my walking regimen....there is no comparison between walking 8 miles a night on level suburban streets and climbing the steep and slipperies!

After this stretch it gets steep and stays steep. The cols between all these peaks are virtually "V" shaped, its either straight up or straight down the whole time. I found myself thinking frequently of my late uncle Ron (46r #1387) who taught me to love these mountains so many years ago. He did the Range in 3 days with a full pack (an authentic pack basket, no nylon involved, thank you) and I marvelled at this as I made my way in his footsteps.

It was exhilirating to make the summit of LWJ (at 9:30, no snickering please) but as summits go it is kind of lackluster. I found no reason to stay long and now I found I had a second wind and decided to go to Plan B, which was to continue on to UWJ and Armstrong. This idea seemed good in the way that a diet seems like a good idea when you have a full stomach, if you know what I mean. But I was energized and ready to add to my list of now 33 peaks.

More steep stuff, up and down. Since I am shorter in stature I struggled with some of the larger slabs, cursing my short parents under my breath :) . The summit of UWJ was nice, with a really cool boulder at the summit that made you feel like you were actually on top of something. Summited UWJ at 11:15 (I *said* no snickering!) and enjoyed a snack and some sun time before heading off to Armstrong.

It had gotten a little muddier from LWJ to UWJ, but no big deal. Not that typical ADK mud that leaves you scratching your head and looking for a long pole to stick in to see how deep it is! :eek: From UWJ to Armstrong was a little muddier still, with more steep descending and climbing and lots of resting ("slow and steady wins the race" was my mantra). Summited Armstrong at 12:30...now *this* is a summit I could love. The NW facing ledge provides a unique view of the upper range, with Gothics looming in the foreground and Pyramid peeking over the left shoulder of Gothics. Saddleback looks almost puny tucked in between Gothics and Basin. And there in the background loom Marcy and Haystack. A really cool view indeed.

Sidebar: I climbed the long ladder on the approach to Armstrong but I never saw the cable described in the guide book. There were a few places with herdpaths that might have led around cliff faces, so I assume that is how I missed the cable. Anyone have any insight? :confused:

Enjoyed some more snacks and photos before reluctantly leaving the summit. I should mention that to this point I had seen zero other people all day. In traversing the shoulder of Armstrong there is mention in the guidebook of three ladders to aid you. What it doesnt say is which direction...since they are described on the climb of Gothics I assumed they went up...but actually you have to climb them when "descending", which was disconcerting since I was looking forward to going down down down :D . There was more mud on this section than all the others, but still not too much. I never went over my boot tops the whole hike.

The Beaver Meadow Falls trail does soon descending rapidly, with lots of those "face the rocks" descents thrown in...slow going but fun. Finally saw the only person I would see all day about 1/2 way down Gothics.

It was around this point that my 21st century suburban life intruded on me...I realized with a start that I forgotten to cancel an appt that I had at 5:00 at my house in CT. The dog trainer was coming and I had promised my wife to call him two days before to cancel. I looked at my watch and it was after 2:00 uh oh. I started hustling a little more and made it to Beaver Meadow Falls in good time...took some nice pictures (this is truly a beautiful falls) and then double timed it to the Caretakers hut on the blissfully level Lake Road. I got to the Caretaker's hut at 3:30, but no one home. Not that I was relishing asking to use the phone.

However, there was a guy just throwing his clubs into his Jeep Wrangler, and he greeted me first so I said "hi" and asked him if he was leaving...he asked me if I needed a lift and I said yes, but not because I was tired mind you, but because my spouse would think long and hard before letting me have another mid week escape if I cant hold up my end of the bargain! So long story short I got a nice lift back to my car, got to the Noonmark payphone to make the call in time, and all is well on that front.

Oh, and lest I forget to mention...I saw one mosquito and maybe half a dozen black flies the whole day. However, I should say that bugs in general dont like me too much. But dont hate me for this, I generally have the same effect on women! But, all in all, 70s, sunny, no bugs, and only a little mud (and some snow patches just for color) ...a truly perfect ADK june day!

So, as I sit here back in CT after a day back at the grind, even though my legs are stiff and sore, I find myself pining (not for the fjords, you Monty Python fans) for the peaks again, and for my next trip, hopefully up gothics in a few weeks. And lets hope I remember to cancel my appts first!

Cheers to all!
ADK Rick

Last edited:
cable

Nice trip report. Having done these in the winter with things buried under snow and ice I am not sure but I believe the cables are on the far side of Gothics. I'm not aware of any on Armstrong.

Great hike. Congrats on the new wheels!

Hadn't the cables been taken down?

There is a slide up Lower Wolf Jaw which can make that climb a bit more interesting.

ADK Rick said:
Sidebar: I climbed the long ladder on the approach to Armstrong but I never saw the cable described in the guide book. There were a few places with herdpaths that might have led around cliff faces, so I assume that is how I missed the cable. Anyone have any insight? :confused:

Rick, I recently learned from a similar thread on Mavs00's Adkhighpeaks forum that there have been several re-routes on Armstrong, and ladders installed. The cable is apparently gone.

Dick

It doesn't matter that you got to the top at 9:30. What matters is that you got there, way to go. :) I know people here at work that wont go "down" a flight of stairs without using the elevator.