Wolf Pond Mtn 08-22-2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nundagao

Reaction score
WPM is surrounded by private land so there are only two legal ways to climb it. One is via the Ragged Mountain F&G Club, which would require either becoming a member or being accompanied by a member. (According to a reliable source it's not enough for a member to give permission; they'd have to actually go with you.) The other way is as a guest of Elk Lake Lodge. It is pricey, but has advantages aside from being the only practical legal option. For one, they serve an excellent dinner and breakfast, and they fix you a nice trail lunch. Also a good night's sleep. You don't having to get up at 3:00 am and drive a couple hundred miles to get to the trailhead. And I discovered that upon registration guests are given a map of the private trails. I also got some useful advice about bushwhack routes from one of the staff. One way would be to climb Boreas and follow the ridge over to WPM. I've heard that's tough. Instead, I took the Boreas Mtn trail for a ways and then branched off on one of the many old logging roads in the area. After that, it was pretty much a matter of using map & compass. Clear Pond Mtn was visible to the east, and WPM is more or less directly west from there, so basically all I had to do was keep CPM in back of me on the way up. Once you're sure you're on the right mountain, this one is pretty foolproof. So long as you're climbing, you're bound to reach the top. The climb was the typical hundred highest bushwhack; lots of huffing and puffing (and cursing, if there'd been anyone to hear me) through thickets of twiggy, dry, prickly fir about three inches apart, very steep for the last 6-800 ft, an abrupt easing of the gradient after an hour of struggling, daylight visible through the trees all around, and no more up! Then it was just a matter of looking for the high spot and some indication of previous visitors. There's always a sign, and when one looks for it one finds it. I started at 7:30 and summited at 10:30. The descent was a lot quicker. Route-finding is SO much easier looking down from above. In no time at all I was back in open beech woods, and shortly thereafter I encountered a bewilderment of clear-cuts and old logging roads. Repeatedly, the most tempting direction was NOT my intended compass bearing. Experience has taught the value of self-discipline when my heart and muscles are urging the easier way, even though the map and the brain tell me it's the wrong way. Trust the compass and stay the course! Sure enough, I soon found myself on the logging road I'd come in on. The rest was just a walk. I got back to the Lodge at 1:00 and enjoyed my lunch on an Adirondack chair on the porch.

Nice trip report. Elk Lake Lodge is a nice experience and great way to pick up Wolf Pond as well as Boreas and Sunrise. The maps provided to guest are wonderful.
When we climbed Wolf Pond Mt years ago, it was as guests of the Ragged Mt Club. At the time, we were unaware that the summit was actually on Elk Lake Lodge land. And, that the leases held by Finch Pruyn clubs forbid guests from hiking, fishing or hunting unless accompanied by a member.

A lot of these problems will disappear in the next couple of years when the former Finch Pruyn 'fee' land and recreation easements purchased by NYS open up all of the ADK100 currently on private property.
It's great that you had the ELL experience and knowingly 'whacked this one by the book.

Alan

Sounds like the best time was taken in the vicinity of the lake and the lodge, as it appears the last few hundred feet climbing WPM are not quite yet all open birch forest... is your lunch climbing the 100 as well? :D

Nice trip report. Elk Lake Lodge is a nice experience and great way to pick up Wolf Pond as well as Boreas and Sunrise. The maps provided to guest are wonderful.
When we climbed Wolf Pond Mt years ago, it was as guests of the Ragged Mt Club. At the time, we were unaware that the summit was actually on Elk Lake Lodge land. And, that the leases held by Finch Pruyn clubs forbid guests from hiking, fishing or hunting unless accompanied by a member.

A lot of these problems will disappear in the next couple of years when the former Finch Pruyn 'fee' land and recreation easements purchased by NYS open up all of the ADK100 currently on private property.
It's great that you had the ELL experience and knowingly 'whacked this one by the book.

Alan

Of the 6 I still need, North River and Cheney Cobble are the most problematic. I'd rather not leave them for last but maybe I'll have to. I just heard from Christine. She's been in touch with Kris A. and others and it does seem there is a move afoot to open the Boreas Ponds access. I can't wait! Whichever way I go, I'm hoping to find someone to go with. Wolf Pond was my 14th solo bushwhack in the last three years. I'm getting too old for this stuff!!!

(BTW, I climbed Sunrise on a sunny day with an ATIS outing, and Boreas in a total downpour with zero visibility with Christine and Tony Goodwin about 4 years ago. I'd like to go back and do that one again!)

Cheers,
Pete

Legal access to the North River Range and C.C., via the Boreas Ponds side will likely come within 3 or 4 years. What we still don't know is how long a walk it's going to be from the Blue Ridge Road.