Wolf Spider's Intelligence

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I always see those cute little wolf spiders when I'm hiking around Mt. Washington. Ironically, I rarely ever see them anywhere else like Franconia Ridge. Only in the Presidentials. Anyway, they seem friendly enough and I hear they only eat other bugs (maybe we can import a few more of them up there to get rid of the annoying black flies that'll be hatching in a few weeks...) so apparently they're "good" bugs and you shouldn't stomp on them should you have the opportunity. My question is the following: Has anyone ever tried to measure their intelligence, ie. their IQ? I realize this is probably difficult for spiders because they hate flash cards but compared to other spiders are they actually more intelligent than other species? And in general, are they pretty much smarter than most other bugs? I read somewhere (no reference, sorry) that their brain is actually a smaller version of the average human brain so this could be a significant find. Has anyone ever dissected a dead one to see what their brain looks like? Any info could be helpful. Does anyone know if they make NH48 Patches for wolf spiders? I don't think they're allowed in to the ceremony though so this is a problem.

-Dr. Wu

A bit too much coffee this morning, Dr Wu002? Sudden medication change?

All I know is that you hardly ever see them out skiing because the cost of eight little boots and eight little ski is prohibitive for most spider families. This is fine with me however...

The second result in that search is this thread. Now, when asked for citations during discussions with my arachnophile friends, I'll have a legitimate answer. Dr. Wu, is your PhD from Boontaka, or is that just where you currently teach?
Looks like this thread is finally taking off and we're getting some legitimate issues. I wonder how many times real scientists have classified "bug IQ" -- it's not for the amateur observor anymore!

-Dr. Wu

Whoa, miniature human brains and eight legs with the ability to live in harsh environments? We should be thankful that they don't have opposable thumbs as well lest they overrun us. Although, I, for one would welcome our new wolf spider overlords.