Woman Dies from fall on Half Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blownaway

Reaction score
Pretty sad story....

I really fear heights. During a Yosemite trip five or six years ago I chose not to climb Half Dome via the mentioned cables....I was embarrassed as I waited at the base for my friends to summit (good guys--they never teased me). From time to time since then I've sorta kicked myself for not giving it a go....not anymore.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2984

Last edited:
Thanks for the story link. I was just looking at pictures of half dome this weekend thinking of whether I would be comfortable going up there. (slight case of fear of being exposed or slick steep rockface).

terrible story.

Tragic story...

I climbed Half Dome via the Cable Route in June, 2003, and I thought it was quite intense. The cables were hoisted off of the ground with steel poles, which also held in place wooden rungs. It would have been much tougher with just the cables lying on the rocks (I would have used a prusik if that were the case). This is a class 5.3 climb that is converted into a class 3 with the cables and steps. In wet/icy conditions, it wouldn't take much to go for a nasty ride...

This is also a bad place to be in a thunderstorm... It's like climbing a giant lightening rod... :eek:

Agreed, a tragic story, although I believe that far more climbers/hikers have been killed by lightening on Half Dome. A similar cable system was removed by the NPS from the north side of the summit of Longs Peak in the Colorado Front Range in the late 1970s to avoid similar accidents.

After looking at Frodo's pictures I would have to agree that a prusik tied to the cables would be a good idea if the stancheons were removed for the seasons. As much as I enjoy climbing, I also like knowing that I have a good anchor in case I fall. :eek:

I was in Yosemite in early November, and the snow had started to accumulate above 10K. On the day I was there Half Dome was mostly dry, but conditions change quickly this time of year.

Your welcome....Tuco

Half Dome is very busy in July/August. Many people are ascending/decending the cables at the same time. In addition to the height I was afraid someone might lose their grip, or footing, and come tumbling down on me.

I did witness a step tread (plank) give way under one of the climbers, however, she had a tight grip on the cables and kept climbing up.

Some people say the climb doesn't look as steep once you get up close to the wall, which is true, but still no peice of cake for us acrophobs. Lots of school age kids (with no fear) seem to love the adventure.

I find it really interesting that we haven't heard more stories like this. I'm sure some do get in over their head. One guy I spoke with traveled 5 hrs to Yosemite to make a 2nd attempt. Seems that he was afraid to summit with his friends on a previous outing and came back to prove a point. He made it but he was shaking like a dog sh**ing persimmon seeds.

Yosemite and Ansel Adams Wilderness is really one of the worlds most beautiful places. We did a 4 day (30-35 mile) loop in Yosemite and an 8 day (80 mile) loop in Ansel. We spent an off day at Iceberg Lake and did a day hike. Only bad part about 8 days in Ansel was lugging 2 bear cannisters..

Last edited:
Is there any age limitation for climbing half dome?

My thought was to bring Colden up there next summer. I could always harness him up and attach 2 runners to the cables. Probably be a fun climbing adventure for the both of us!

-percious

percious said:
Is there any age limitation for climbing half dome?

My thought was to bring Colden up there next summer. I could always harness him up and attach 2 runners to the cables. Probably be a fun climbing adventure for the both of us!

-percious

From what I recall, you can take him up. I don't think you can attach runners to the cables because (if I understand your thinking) it would force the people coming down to let go of the cables for a brief moment as they passed you. For most it would be ok but some hold on to them for dear life.

No rangers or paid employees were around to enforce any rules/regs (if there are any).

Probably just put him in a harness and climb up....The picture Audrey provided is nice but it makes it look much steeper. Some climb up then scamper down, in some spots, without cables...like my 52 year old going on 16 friend.

Although Iv'e heard there is a steep spot just below the summit.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a sad story. I climbed Half Dome last year, but did not make it to the very top since the cables were down. But just going up 1/2 way up the final pitch scared the crud out of me. After hearing about this, I think i made the right decision. I get vertigo just recalling the last part of that climb. Way more intense than the knife edge on Katahdin or The Precipice trail in Acadia.

I say skip Half Dome and head to Cloud's Rest instead. You don't get the Half Dome experience, cables, et al., but you get the views and far fewer people. The crowds can be maddening, slow, dangerous, and just plain not fun IMO.

clg898 said:
I say skip Half Dome and head to Cloud's Rest instead. You don't get the Half Dome experience, cables, et al., but you get the views and far fewer people. The crowds can be maddening, slow, dangerous, and just plain not fun IMO.

I agree. Although I remember one narrow section on the ridge (just beyond the summit ridge towards half dome) that was kinda narrow. It will provide some excitement if you fear heights. I think I sorta crawled along for 20ft or so.....defintely provided some "pucker factor."

sad news...

yes that is terrible.

my best friend erica and i climbed it in the summer of '02. It was an awesome climb. We just started to hear thunder when we got to the cables at the bottom, and there was a woman having an anxiety attack on the cables (causing people a little danger trying to vear around her and the rangers). We both went up anyways (even tho the rangers told that they can't stop us, but they wouldn't go up-yes, i don't need the lecture, it was dumb, but it was SO much more exciting), and when we got to the top we took some quick pictures and then we freaked out and started "sprinting" down the cables because we could see lightning way to close for comfort. I have some great pics of the before/after pics showing how fast the storms come in. The first pics are all sunny and gorgeous and the pics from the top are stormy and gray (and VERY threatening)!

we thought we were going to die that day. erica actually ran down the nine miles to the bottom, and i jogged. my heart had never pounded so hard in my life!!! she will say the same..."remember the day we almost died on half dome." Good memories.

blownaway said:
From what I recall, you can take him up. I don't think you can attach runners to the cables because (if I understand your thinking) it would force the people coming down to let go of the cables for a brief moment as they passed you. For most it would be ok but some hold on to them for dear life.

No rangers or paid employees were around to enforce any rules/regs (if there are any).

Probably just put him in a harness and climb up....The picture Audrey provided is nice but it makes it look much steeper. Some climb up then scamper down, in some spots, without cables...like my 52 year old going on 16 friend.

Although Iv'e heard there is a steep spot just below the summit.

Wouldn't said people have to let go to get around you any way? What value would the harness have if he wasn't going to be tied into anything?

-percious