Work on 48 List This Weekend!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abster

Reaction score
I'm planning to hike this weekend - whichever day is nicer - and would like to work on the 48 list. Below are the peaks I have yet to do. I would enjoy company for whatever hike it is! Note: I will most likely have my two Goldens with me who usually hang-out with the faster hikers/leaders.

Peaks I need:
Carters
Cats
Carrigain
Tom, Field and Willey
Moriah
Zealand
Cabot
Waumbek
Whiteface & Passaconaway

Please contact me if you are interested in any of these.

Thanks. Hanna

Ok, maybe this is the motivation I need to finish the 48. Of your list, Moriah, Waumbeck, and Whiteface overlap with mine. I can go out on Saturday (weather looks better than Sunday) anytime and don't have a preference to which peaks.

Goldens are welcome :) Let me know your thoughts.

Brad

How about Moriah or Zealand on Saturday? Looks like Saturday weather will be better than Sunday's.

Okay, so far it looks like Moriah is in the mix.

Is there any interest in doing the Carter-Moriah trail North to South, spending the night at Carter Notch (there is availability) and doing the Cats the next day?

If not, I would like to do a longer approach to Moriah, so that we get in closer to 13 miles or so rather than the 9 miles following the Carter-Moriah trail out and back. We could also add in just Middle Carter.

Thoughts?

Longer (13) is OK with me, but overnight is not in the cards. It's spring, and there's too much to do around the house. :eek:

P.S. Please remember that I'm a bit of a slowpoke, so if speed demoning is the plan, I'll just see you all off at the trailhead and meet you at the restaurant that evening, when you're having dessert. :D

Moriah sounds good to me, I'll do any distance but Saturday is my only free day. I am flexible as to trails and start time.

I have heard from others via PM, so once I hear back from them we can make a final decision. Thanks!

Peter - I don't remember the slowpoke?!

Let's Hike!

Hi Everyone,

I have checked out as many trail options as possible to/from Moriah. From the North both the Shelburne and Rattle River trails ford rivers, so I think they are out for now. I'd rather not risk having to turn around.

3 viable options:
Carter-Moriah trail out and back - 9 miles
Carter-Moriah and Stoney Brook combination - 9.5 miles
Carter-Moriah, North Carter and Imp trails - 12.8 miles

I would like to do the last option - in reverse. 9:00am Start Saturday
Let's meet at the North end of the Carter-Moriah trail, leave as many cars as possible there, drive 1 or 2 cars down to the Northern Imp trial. Take Imp trail to North Carter trail then bang a left onto Carter-Moriah trail over to Moriah and out. People can then help shuttle to get cars at Imp trail and go out for a meal and drinks if folks would like to.

Saturday Weather Forecast: Mostly cloudy, but no precip, highs 57 degrees

Parking at Carter-Moriah trail: take Rt 2 east of Gorham 0.5 miles, take a sharp right onto Bangor Rd. just past the bridge and railroad track, follow this paved road about 0.5 miles to the turnaround at the end. Park only on left side of the street.

See you there! :D

I may be interested in joining in for Moriah, I'll give you a call and/or PM you when I know for sure.

Haven't been out this spring, so I don't know the trail conditions (but I read them) and I don't know this hill.

My guess is crampons yes, snowshoes no.

Anyone?

Tomorrow

I looked around for trail conditions on the Carter Range, but couldn't find any recent ones. I am also taking crampons, but no snowshoes.

So far the hikers for tomorrow who have contacted me:
Little Sister
Mad Townie

Maybe
Hunter
Roadtripper
Errapi
Arm

Please let me know if you are going so that we can expect you in the morning. Thanks!

Last edited:
Last year, the very last weekend of - MAY - Sherp and I postholed up to our (substantial) bellies up there! (Moriah) Better get a good trail report before jettisoning the s-shoes... ;)

Gris and Arm, thanks for the advice. Postholing is NOT one of my favorite pastimes!