Work or Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski

Reaction score
for those of you that know me somewhat,pls help me.i have a chance to lead some hikes in the central vermont area for money.thats right, get paid to hike.should i hike for money or should i keep peakbagging in nh.i think this might be a no brainer..andy :confused:

Well, I'll easily put it like this..... If you can combine a passion and make some $ at the same time then i say go for it.
You're correct, it is a no brainer. I'm trying to figure out how to combine my cycling passion and a job and be able to make enough to survive.
Actually, without going off on a tangent here, I would love to start a cycling/hiking adventure trip business, mainly focusing on the New England area. Similar concept to what www.bicycleadventures.com does.

I'm all for making money and doing what you love to do.

Well, I don't know you personally, Andy, but I'll toss my two pennies in anyway.

If I could get someone to pay me to go hiking, I'd be all over that like stink on a monkey. I'm sure you'll hear plenty of people saying the same thing, but it's so true. If you can combine your passion and job into one, you've found a really great thing.

Happy trails!

Josh

The only thing I'd think about is the responsibility. If you're comfortable with the position of being a real trip leader in the legal sense then I'd do it. It sounds like a *wonderful* way to hike (and make gas money)! :)

And I think you'd do a fine job at it as long as you remember the cairn is there for a reason, and it's not to go on the herd path 20' away from it... ;)

Keep in mind that leading hikes is not just hiking, it's a job. I have found that it puts you in a very different mindset than just hiking on your own. You are no longer your own boss, you have "clients" who expect things of you and you might not get to do what you want.

It can be a lot of fun, and you may have the right temperment for the job, but I think some folks go into guiding with the idea that it's just like hiking with friends but you get paid. It's not the same thing, so make sure your expectations are set before you start.

-dave-

drewski said:
for those of you that know me somewhat,pls help me.i have a chance to lead some hikes in the central vermont area for money.thats right, get paid to hike.should i hike for money or should i keep peakbagging in nh.i think this might be a no brainer..andy :confused:

Sounds like a dream. I do believe there are certain obligations associated with being a paid leader. Like maybe having First Responder, CPR training, training for allergic reactions, etc. :confused:
I don't know your situation, if this is on your own or through a group affiliation, but you may want to explore what responsibilities you're assuming.
Medical/injury waivers or "Risk Disclosures" may need to be signed.
If it's less formal you might want to collect your fee as a "tip" for the help you provided as opposed to a formal payment for services.
"Not for nothing" but I had my first reaction to a bee sting last summer and have gone through the series of desensitization shots and am now at "full venom". I now carry 2 epipens, benedryl and the course of steroids thats prescribed if I have another allergic reaction. If my first allergic reaction was half way through a hike, it could have been fatal.
PS: for anyone out there in a similar situation; I was stung 3 times on Saturday 8 miles into a 12 mile solo hike, broke out the gear, took 2 benedryl and kept hiking. No allergic reaction, but I'm glad I was well prepared. :)

I don't know you Drew but I'd like to contribute.

My boss is an avid skier. She leads ski trips much like you want to do with hiking trips. She takes one day off a week (Dec. - March), charges vacation time and goes on these trips, she not only gets paid a little but gets to ski for free.

Getting paid to do something that you consider a hobby and falls under the category of recreation is the ultimate. Many pro athletes are in this position but most don't appreciate it. It sounds like you'd feel great about being in such a position so if you can work out the details then by all means go for it.

:)

Last edited:
You may need to check to see if you need some kind of license to lead trips in Vermont. Here in Maine, if you get paid for this type of thing you need a Maine Guide's License.

It does sound great to get paid to hike!

I agree with the caveats regarding first aid training, etc. I don't know if the organization through which you're doing this has a policy or requirements.

I think I would also look to see how much you would make. Can you make a living at it? If it's only a smnall amount of $, and you still have to work your regular job, it could become a burden.

How good it is also depends on the groups / clients you will be leading. Trip leading and guiding are jobs, and you have to do the job you're getting paid for. Sometimes, you get a client at the level where you can "have your fun," go your pace, go to difficult or interesting destinations, etc. Other times, you will get people at a level where your job is full time instruction and care, and minimal actual hiking. Probably good to understand what the mix will be before you get committed, so you know what you're signing up your time for.

TCD

work or hike

i will leading hikes only 2 days per week.working for a motel on killington.they are fully insured and very reputable.most hikes are of the climb killington, pico,camels hump variety.they wont let me take them on the bush wacks or to the big boy hikes in the whites. :)

I agree that getting paid to do what you love is a great deal. Just remember that leading hikes is not even close to the same experience you will have when you are on a hike alone or with your friends.
Your goal is to give the participants the best time possible. Your desires no longer count. While this can be a rewarding experience in itself, I found guiding to be less like doing what I love and more like working. Fun work, great work, but work.
As long as you can remember this, go for it. And don't forget to get out for yourself once in awhile.

hike for money

my first payed hike.took grp of 7 up peak near killington.i was the follow man and had to go slow because 1 young guy couldnt handle the heat or the climbing.it was fun tho because i met couple of nice peopleand they payed me 12 per hr to walk in woods..will work 3 days next week on short easy hikes.finally a job i like...mt drew :)

You've had lots of good advice here.

I only offer a word of caution, based on personal experience: Be careful that you don't louse up a passionately cherished recreation (hobby) by turning it into a job. That said, the very best of luck to you as your new adventure progresses!

G.

Good for you, that is the best job to have! :) :)

To fatten your resume and expand your knowledge base think about becoming a volunteer trip leader and leading hikes for the Green Mountain Club or the AMC. You may also want to go on a few of their hikes just to see what some of these Trip Leaders and C0-Leaders put up with :eek: ! I have been on a several, they've mostly been good but you get a real wide variety of people. You may also want to take some of their training courses to make you more "credible and reputable" to potential employers and to eventually branch out on their own.

As a volunteer you may also get some tax perks such as claiming mileage to and from where your going, and a few other items. Check IRS pub 526 for what you might be able to claim.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Tony

An interesting thread, with lots of thoughtful advice.

I'm with Grumpy here. Be careful that you don't turn an enjoyable hobby into a job that you HAVE to do. You might not be able to "hike your own hike" anymore. Is that OK with you?

work and hike

did nice easy 4 mile loop today with 15 people and 2 other leaders.nice after climbing garfield yesterday.worked 4 hrs total 2.5 hiking time,got breakfast and lunch.i like this stuff---mt drew :)