X-C skis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
I am a strong competent female X-C skier. I have bc skis, skate skis but am interested in getting myself a pair of classic X-C skis to use in the track when I'm with my friends.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a type or model that I should consider. I looked an Atomic Alea 48 G3, which is a woman's ski. From my experience on downhill equipment I'm not too keen on female models because they are usually not as high performance.
thanks for any help.
Skibones

If you are really, really serious about it, contact Zach Caldwell (he's in BC now, used to be in VT) - http://www.caldwellsport.com/ - he has (or had) a service finding, recommending, and fitting XC skis. He's also the only service I know that specializes in XC ski grinds for the conditions you ski most.

Tim

On the subject of grinding... let me say that while he performs on-site snow analysis and grinding at world cup races, I have had him grind my skis before when the bases had gotten a bit of "field structure" on them. When I got them back they were like "holy crap!" faster. I would confirm Zach's recommendation of an LJ02 grind as a good, universal New England snow conditions grind.

Tim

fischer back country skis (no edges)

I am a strong competent female X-C skier. I have bc skis, skate skis but am interested in getting myself a pair of classic X-C skis to use in the track when I'm with my friends.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a type or model that I should consider. I looked an Atomic Alea 48 G3, which is a woman's ski. From my experience on downhill equipment I'm not too keen on female models because they are usually not as high performance.
thanks for any help.
Skibones

Hi there, I am a female skier, been skiiing "classic" style for 40 years now, since I was about 5. If you are looking for decent, fine skis for using in track, I don't think you need to go super high end. I use Fischer Back Country models (they are "unisex") and I get the waxable kind. Although they are called back country they don't have edges. they are a tad skinnier than the skinniest XC skis. I use these for in-track skiing and some light-duty back country and they are great. The thing that will make your skiing more comfortable is the boots--get THESE in women's sizes so they really fit. And get decently fitted by someone who knows what size/length ski and poles to use. I err on the longer side...

--Carla

And get decently fitted by someone who knows what size/length ski and poles to use. I err on the longer side...
I use adjustable poles--the best length depends on the terrain, the snow surface, and the kind of basket on the pole. For instance, you could be skiing in a trench (shorter poles), on the flats (normal length), or traversing (shorter on the uphill side, longer on the downhill side).

The best length also depends on the type of skiing--downhill/Telemark/AT use shorter poles than the various forms of XC. Telmark/AT might also use a longer pole for climbing than for dowhill.

Beginner XC skiers also tend to like shorter poles (more balance) than experienced XC skiers (more propulsion).

Doug

Hi there, I am a female skier, been skiiing "classic" style for 40 years now, since I was about 5. If you are looking for decent, fine skis for using in track, I don't think you need to go super high end. I use Fischer Back Country models (they are "unisex") and I get the waxable kind. Although they are called back country they don't have edges. they are a tad skinnier than the skinniest XC skis. I use these for in-track skiing and some light-duty back country and they are great. The thing that will make your skiing more comfortable is the boots--get THESE in women's sizes so they really fit. And get decently fitted by someone who knows what size/length ski and poles to use. I err on the longer side...

--Carla

I tried on in a shop the Salomon Vitane boot and it felt ok. Someone recommended the Salomon RC, but that only comes in a unisex size and I would have to oder that and I'm not sure if the fit would be the same.
I have two BC skis with edges, but they have different bindings than what would be needed for the Salomon boot. I may just wait until there is a really good sale and then settle for what is left.
Thanks, Skibones

I have two BC skis with edges, but they have different bindings than what would be needed for the Salomon boot. I may just wait until there is a really good sale and then settle for what is left.
Bindings can be changed too.

I have purposely mounted all of my skis with 3-pin bindings to prevent such problems. (Of course, I started when 3-pin was essentially the only choice so I just kept going...)

Doug

I tried on in a shop the Salomon Vitane boot and it felt ok.

My wife has the Salomon Vitane boot. It is, in this incantation, a combi boot, with a removable plastic cuff for skating (when installed) and the Salomon SNS Profile II binding. I have the men's version for my classic skis and my Fischer MLS skate skis. IMO, it is a good 'do everything' boot.

Bindings can be changed too.

I have purposely mounted all of my skis with 3-pin bindings to prevent such problems. (Of course, I started when 3-pin was essentially the only choice so I just kept going...)

I would not recommend 3-pin for skating. I realize the OP is looking at classic skis, but for skating it is really hard to top the Salomon Pilot binding. I have them on my good skis, matched with a pair of Fischer boots -- the mirror setup of the 'rock' skis above.

Tim

I would not recommend 3-pin for skating. I realize the OP is looking at classic skis, but for skating it is really hard to top the Salomon Pilot binding. I have them on my good skis, matched with a pair of Fischer boots -- the mirror setup of the 'rock' skis above.
The topic here is gear for classic skiing, not skating.

My comment about 3-pin was to illustrate the advantages of sticking with a single binding type rather than to advocate any particular type. In any case, 3-pin is still fine for classic in track or BC.

The general advice that I have seen when there are questions about the binding type is to choose the boot first and then a matching binding.

Doug

The topic here is gear for classic skiing, not skating.
I clearly stated that -- It's even in your quote of me. I brought it up only because the Salomon Vitane is (was) a skate / classic combi boot.

My comment about 3-pin was to illustrate the advantages of sticking with a single binding type rather than to advocate any particular type. In any case, 3-pin is still fine for classic in track or BC.
And my point was to not stick blindly to one binding type when it is inadequate for the task.

The general advice that I have seen when there are questions about the binding type is to choose the boot first and then a matching binding.
I will argue that the Pilot binding system is so superior to any other for skating that if, and I again I realize that it is not the OP's topic, skating were your bag (and some who may be reading this might be interested in skating), you should in this case consider the Pilot binding first.

Tim

I will argue that the Pilot binding system is so superior to any other for skating that if, and I again I realize that it is not the OP's topic, skating were your bag (and some who may be reading this might be interested in skating), you should in this case consider the Pilot binding first.

Tim

I would totally agree with this statement and to the extent that the Pilot system has now evolved to offer a Classic model. The addition of a secound bar attachement under the ball of the foot which again evolved from the Skate binding version far out performs a three pin. From the sounds of it the OP is fit and a good skier and would benifit from a higher performance system if they are truely looking for an in area groomed trail Nordic setup.

I also Agree with Doug's advice on footwear fitting properly before choosing a binding. If Salomon does not fit you may want to take a look at NNN boots which use a similar but IMO not as good of binding system; although if a NNN boot fits better go with the better fitting boot than worrying about the binding.

Either way IMO If you are again in area on groomed trails I would go SNS or NNN over three pin. From what I've been seeing for almost ten years now the selection of Three Pin Nordic Norm Boots is becoming increasingly hard to find...not to mention their overall clunkiness IMO.

Hi
I was just at Jackson XC center this WE and they had some nice classic Atomics for cheap. I'm no expert on this, but I found these more than adequate for the in-track skiing you aspire to.
This is the best time to strike, while the post-season sales are on.
Sandy

If Salomon does not fit you may want to take a look at NNN boots which use a similar but IMO not as good of binding system; although if a NNN boot fits better go with the better fitting boot than worrying about the binding.

Note that you should not infer that you must have a Salomon boot for compatibility with the Pilot binding system. I have Pilot-compatible Fischer boots.

Tim

Sales...

Good thinking about the sales. can you keep us posted if you know of good sales going on? (a post below mentions skis on sale at Jackson).

Every year I think I will finally get a pair of spare non-waxing skis so I can have them in my "quiver" for conditions where waxes get messy...(but I never do!)

I tried on in a shop the Salomon Vitane boot and it felt ok. Someone recommended the Salomon RC, but that only comes in a unisex size and I would have to oder that and I'm not sure if the fit would be the same.
Thanks, Skibones

If you can wait for a poor snow year, you'll get the best deals on the greatest selection of equipment. In good snow years there is much less stuff available. That's how I did my last upgrade.

I suspect pretty much every XC area will be clearing stuff out now. Usually they go 15-20% off for 2-3 weeks and then down to 40%. Obviously the longer you wait the more picked over it gets.

Tim

Hi
I was just at Jackson XC center this WE and they had some nice classic Atomics for cheap.

Also note that Jackson's ski shop is a cocession. The Nordic Skier Sports provides retail services for JSTF. Their Home store is located in Wolfeboro which also has gear to offer.

Note that you should not infer that you must have a Salomon boot for compatibility with the Pilot binding system. I have Pilot-compatible Fischer boots.

Tim

Good point Tim.
Salomon is the Manufacturer of the Binding which is considered SNS.
Rotefella is the Manufacturer of the NNN Binding.
Both systems have Manufacters that make boots compatible with their systems.
Fischer makes compatible boots for both SNS and NNN.
Atomic makes boots compatible for SNS.
Alpina make boots along with Rossignol that are compatible with NNN.
There could be others that are compatible with the respective systems.
The good thing is there are choices.
Each Manufacturer offers different lasting or in other words different shapes of boots.
Therefore again there are choices so find the Manufacturer that has the shape that best fits your foot....then decide on the binding.

Good point Tim.
Salomon is the Manufacturer of the Binding which is considered SNS.
Rotefella is the Manufacturer of the NNN Binding.
Both systems have Manufacters that make boots compatible with their systems.
Fischer makes compatible boots for both SNS and NNN.
Atomic makes boots compatible for SNS.
Alpina make boots along with Rossignol that are compatible with NNN.
There could be others that are compatible with the respective systems.
The good thing is there are choices.
Each Manufacturer offers different lasting or in other words different shapes of boots.
Therefore again there are choices so find the Manufacturer that has the shape that best fits your foot....then decide on the binding.

Fischer dropped SNS and switched to NNN beginning with 07-08: Fischer Nordic bindings page. There are old stocks of Fischer SNS boots still running loose and causing numerous headaches for newbie skiers and shop operators, as the newbies often have no idea of SNS vs. NNN and many people sill think of Fischer as SNS.

Atomic continues with SNS: Atomic Profil binding. With the departure of Fischer from the SNS market, I personally think that that binding system is the Beta in the VHS vs. Beta war. You all know how that came out.

Caveat emptor -- make sure you know which boot and binding match when you shop. And make sure you know the difference between NNN Touring, NNN BC, and NNN BC Magnum. None of these are intercompatible. Check the Rottefella cross country binding page for particulars.