Yard Work

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Although the technical goal of the day was to whack to the summit of Yard, whose col depth puts it on the 770 (777?) list this hike was more of an exploration and hemi-circumnavigation of Big Slide.

Following Slide Brook up between Porter Mtn. on my right and the Brothers on the left (cliffs and more cliffs) through a wide-open maple forest with firm footing was magnificent, especially when it all became bathed in early morning October sunshine.

I gradually rounded the corner above Railroad Notch at approx. 2700 feet heading progressively more westerly. The woods I was traversing were even more beautiful than earlier. Slide Brook turned for southwest but I had one more sub-summit to detour so I continued west, leaving the brook behind. I had beautiful, clear views of Porter's entire south side and could see the bit of open rock that indicates the true summit. When it was just a hair east of grid north of me I made a direction change and a navigational error. I sort of forgot about the biggest ridge I needed to cross that runs north right off of Big Slide's summit and thought I was looking at the 3600 foot bump that rises straight above South meadows Brook. So I cut way south and began climbing BS from the north. Once I realized my mistake (major doh! moment) I turned back west and had to traverse a mess of thick blowdown and scrappy woods to get to the valley below. Just after breaking free of some very thick stuff I stopped and went to pull my maps out of my pocket, which was now empty. I had just lost all of my maps because I decided to carry both complete sets in my pocket. (Different magnifications, different perspectives so I was consulting both sets). I also noted that the lowest section of my hiking pole was missing.

By backtracking I was able to find the hiking pole and this encouraged me to keep looking for the maps, which after a serious effort, proved futile.

So, I pulled out the ADK trail map and mentally adjusted my brain to the small scale. I also pulled out my GPS, which I had brought with me for the final portion of the hike near Yard and made sure that I really was where I thought I was. After turning the GPS off and returning it to my pack off I went.

The key to the hike, for me, was this spot which I managed to hit. Here I pulled out the GPS and began using it as my nav tool in order to traverse and get under the summit of Yard without encountering the trail (when traversing I always end up curving upwards). Because I had forgotten to bring the clip I would turn the GPS on, place a WP about 800 meters away, get a bearing, then put the GPS away in my pack and use the compass for 30 minutes and repeat. This little col at point B looked exactly like a tornado had hit it. All of the trees were either down or leaning on each other at 45 degree angles. (I was able to skirt that).

For the last 200 meters I simply carried the GPS in my hand and followed my progress on the screen and as such was able came out where the trail makes a right angle turn just shy of the little spur to the true summit. Altogether it took 5 1/2 hours to get there. The hike out along the Brothers was absolutely magnificent in the late afternoon sun.

Last edited:
this hike was more of an exploration and hemi-circumnavigation of Big Slide.....

Surprised you took a dodge for this, probably your first mistake. As a VT'er I would have gone for the subaru/boxer :p

Nice report on the hike, the predicament, and your solution to the problem.