Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should backpack

Big mistake not to bring backpacking gear. 1/2 mile in and all the crowds disappear...

50 feet off the trail and all the crowds disappear too, just like home.

If you want solitude even in a popular park, and you don't feel like backpacking, or don't want to bring the gear, just bring a compass and a good map. We bushwhacked from our home in Tuolomne Meadows campground to Johnson Peak. Wonderful open woods, an easy slide climb on great, clean rock, tremendous scenery, and we didn't see a soul all day.

Last edited:
bruised said:
Great information! Thanks. Half dome is starting to fall off the radar, as I do not want to wait in line to climb cables, and I'm not sure how the family will feel about the exposure. Besides, we are on vacation, so I'm not keen on setting an alarm for an early start. All the suggestions are much appreciated and I can't wait to do at least some of them!!!

Cloud's Rest will give you some Half Dome like views. There is a short section at the very top that might give some in the family a fright, but it really isn't too bad.

I'll second the hike along the Lyell Fork in Lyell Canyon. It's a great place to linger, swim, and sunbathe...

Where are you staying in the valley? I can't stand the valley and vowed to never stay in the valley again. I'm sure some spots are better than others, but we stayed in the Curry Village cabin tents on the final night of our trip (a backpacking trip from Tuolome into the valley). It was one of the most disagreable experiences I've ever encountered. The cabin tents are literally less than a foot apart and you can hear everything going on in the tents around you. It was loud, hot, overbuilt, and crowded with throngs of people. I would avoid them at all cost.

Thinking about spending 4 days and 3 nights of my honeymoon in Yosemite. Any idea what accomodations are the "nicest". Doesnt have to be inside the park., but would like it to be close and I know the finace would prefer our own bathrooms so that will certianly shorten the list I suppose. We'd like to be in close proximity to good day hikes. I am an avid hiker, my fiance is not as "avid".

This will be in mid October, will this bee too late? What type of clothing would be required?

Any help or info is greatly appreicated. I got some good ideas for day hikes from previous post in thread.

thanks.

M

Although it's one of the most crowded trails in Yosemite, try the loop hike that goes over Nevada Falls & Vernal Falls in Yosemite Valley. You have to use the shuttle system to access the trailhead I believe. I'd rate this loop as one of the top 10 hikes I've ever done, even in spite of the 500 people I saw in total on the loop over Memorial Day Weekend, 2003.

pic 1
pic 2

- Greg

KMartman said:
Thinking about spending 4 days and 3 nights of my honeymoon in Yosemite. Any idea what accomodations are the "nicest".

The "nicest" digs is the Ahwahnee, a Lodge in the Valley. Be prepared for sticker shock. This place has hosted the likes of the Queen of England!

You would have a hiking get out of jail free card for life though!

That time frame is a toughie. I think they close Tioga Road around then, and the Tuolumne Lodge will already be closed. However, the valley would be relatively empty and you could do lots of valley hikes with 1/10 the crowds as summer time.

I would never do Yosemite (except the remote areas) until after Labor Day.

Doc McPeak said:
The "nicest" digs is the Ahwahnee, a Lodge in the Valley. Be prepared for sticker shock. This place has hosted the likes of the Queen of England!

You would have a hiking get out of jail free card for life though!

That time frame is a toughie. I think they close Tioga Road around then, and the Tuolumne Lodge will already be closed. However, the valley would be relatively empty and you could do lots of valley hikes with 1/10 the crowds as summer time.

I would never do Yosemite (except the remote areas) until after Labor Day.

Anyone ever hear of this place The TENAYA LODGE...I think its right outside the entrance to the park at the Big Oak Flat entracne, we'll be coming out of San fran for sure..

again thanks in advance for advice.

M

Hey, Thanks for all of your suggestions. Probably will NOT be able to do much hiking after all... I blew out two tendons in my ankle running down the Liberty Spring trail this weekend. (I know dumb thing to do, but I was getting antsy for my post hike Margarita!!!). SOOOO, any non-hikers out there for some less strenuous walks, or lazy ways to spend time in Yosemite (we are aplitting our time in the Yosemite Lodge and the Tuolumne Meadows lodge)_
NOt only bruised but swollen and bruised!!!

We hiked North Dome...very nice! Incredible views...right across from Half Dome in fact..
Lembert Dome is also a very cool hike...

Have Fun!

Snowshooz

Just came back from there. How about some pictures to make up your mind ?

Last edited:
Mountain King Snake ?

Excuse Me Pudgy Groundhog, but this.....

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/image/30144484

...looks like either a CORAL snake, or (more likely) a (bad) fabrication thereof !

I understand that Corals are absent from CA. But "most" kingsnakes are
red-black-yellow-black, and I cannot find one KS photo that is Yellow-to-Red !

So, am I "IT" now ? :)

MR

Ha ha -- I think we should remove that picture from our gallery. You're not the first to comment on it. :) I think you're right. Thanks!

is October going to be a little "late"? Will it be "winter" weather? I can still adjust plans to not include Yosemite, but i'd really like to hit the park if im going to be in the area. Are there good day hiking options off the Big Oak Flat entrance.

Any advice is helpful, would like to book flights in the next few days.

Thanks.

M

Can you bike?

Hi:
Bummer about the ankle! If you are able to bike, you can rent one near Camp Curry & bike tour the valley. It beats using your car, because you can stop whereever, 'on a dime' for how ever long you want. A terrific, leisurely way to see the valley; bring along a picnic lunch & a camera, enjoy the sites, the mini-museums, etc.
Ed

The Pictures everyone posted make me SO EXCITED!!! I Can bike, and I also have my ankle stabilzed so I can do short hikes. Half dome will have to wait, though the picture of the cables from Pudgys photos give me pause...and I rock and ice climb!!!Thank you to all who posted replies!!

Since you enjoy both hiking and rock climbing, here's one I didn't mention (and with the ankle, you'll have to scope it out this trip and save actually climbing it for next trip): Tenaya Peak NE Ridge.

Both times we've been to Yosemite we've made it a point to do this trip. It's a short 30 minute approach, and then about 15 pitches of climbing, which starts out low angle and gradually steepens, although it's never hard. 1-5 is 4th class, 6-12 is about 5.3, and 13-15 are about 5.5, with the last couple pitches being close to vertical, though they're fairly easy and have at least some gear.

The route is spectacularly exposed and scenic, and puts you right on the rock summmit. My avatar pic is from there. At the top, you step from the shady, chilly face through a big rock arch to a tiny, sunny meadow among the rocks; it's actually quite unbelievable.

Descent is via a fair herd path, and some easy navigating down to Tenaya Lake.

On our first trip to Yosemite, this route was the climax of the trip. On the second trip, this route was the first thing we did as part of our acclimatization for Whitney. I wouldn't miss it!

With the ankle, you could still hike the approach, find the start, etc. There's also good info on SuperTopo.com.

(For straight out crag climbing for ordinary folks, I didn't think Yosemite was that great. The big walls are not a family affair. The crags in Tuolomne are very variable. I soloed a 5.6 on the Bunny Slopes that would have been 5.4 in the Adirondacks. On the other hand, I backed off a 5.7PG (one of the water cracks on Lembert Dome) that would have been 5.9X here.)

TCD

PHP:
is October going to be a little "late"?
I've seen the Tioga Road closed during the middle of October, monitor the weather and Internet for any info...

Last edited: