Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
Danielle and I are headed to Yosemite for about a week in mid-July. (Granted, the timing isn't the best for crowds and heat, but we're piggybacking onto a trip to Tahoe for a friend's wedding.) We have already made reservations for 3 nights at Crane Flats and 3 nights at Tuolumne Meadows. We've been poruing over guidebooks and maps, but it's always good to get friendly advice. Anybody out there have Yosemite experience? Any suggestions for day hikes in the park? Places to see? Places to avoid?
THANKS!

Give up one of your days at TW and hike up to Vogelsang Pass and beyond, camping on the other side. If you can't backpack, a dayhike to the pass is worth it.

-dave-

Yosemite Suggestions

My wife and I just got back from Yosemite, check out our report at http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog . Click on Yosemite National Park when you get to that page. We did mostly backpacking.

My recommendations for dayhiking in Tuolumne Meadows would be:

1. Lembert Dome
2. Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River
3. Cloud's Rest from Tenaya Lake; widely regarded as the absolute best view in the entire park.
3. I didn't get to do any of these but I am told they are great... Mount Dana, Glen Aulin, Young Lakes.

My Recommendations in/around Yosemite Valley would be:

1. Half Dome; This is truely all it's cracked up to be.
2. Yosemite Falls Trail to the Rim
3. Glacier Point (not really a hike) or Sentinel Dome at Sunset

Others I didn't have time for, but heard are great:

Four Mile Trail
Taft Point

Also, these are not hikes but places I found very interesting:

1. Tunnel View (Wawona Tunnel)
2. Valley View (small car pullout as you exit the valley)
3. Mono Lake - Not in Yosemite, If you drive the Tioga all the way out of Yosemite you will see Mono Lake, this was one of my favorite places! HIgh recommend a side trip here at sunset.
4. Olmstead Point; Car pull-off, interesting views of half dome

Places we watched the sunset/rise and found enjoyable.

1. Sunset off of the Soda Springs trail looking at Lembert Dome
2. Sunset from Glacier Point (NICE!!)
3. Sunset from Tenaya Lake (My fav.)
4. Sunset over Mono Lake
5. Sunrise over Tioga Lake, Ellerly Lake woul be nice also.
6. North Dome; tough w/o staying overnight in the wilderness.

Crane Flats really only has the Giant Sequoia hikes nearby, so if you can add more time at TM, there's more to do there hiking wise. But, DO the Giants, for they are awesome!

We did the Giants and drove up to TM and climbed Lembert Dome for sunset, in the same day, which was incredible. From TM, Hoffman Mountain, looping around May Lake was sensational. Hoffman was also John Muir's favorite peak in the park, for it sits in the virtual center of everything.

We backpacked thru Vogelsang Pass to Vogel Lake, then climbed Vogelsang Peak the next morning via a really fun scramble. We looped around down to the Lyell Fork (and the John Muir trail) and back to TM.

Head up toward Tioga Pass and climb Gaylor Peak for a look at the northern rim. Lunch down below at Gaylor Lakes.

Cathedral Lakes or Elizabeth lake puts you right under Unicorn Peak and Cathedral Peak which are truly mesmerizing monoliths.

If backpacking, you may need to check for pass availibilty. I think you can do that online.

I don't think you can find a bad hike there if you tried! We were off season, though, so crowds may be a factor. Think north of TM, for there will be less crowds.

Have fun!