You know it has been too long since you last hiked when...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
I was doing my laundry the other day, and I noticed that for the first time in a long time I didn't have anything that needed to be 'hung up, or laid flat' to dry. All cotton work clothes, shorts and t-shirts. Hum, I knew it had been far too long since my last hike or backpack.

When do you know it has been too long, and you need to get out or you will just explode?

:eek:

when you cant see the stars at night, not because there are clouds but because there are too many lights polluting the sky

Three days after the last hike. I seriously want to be out there all the time. Can't wait to do the AT, when the kids have grown.

When there is a funny smell in your packroom and you realize you left a pound of bacon in the bottom of your sleeping bag :eek:

..there isn't a mound of dirt at the bottom of the washing machine.

You finally take out the hiking poles from your vehicle of choice.

Jay

I think it has a lot to do with this website and reading other's posts of adventurous hikes... and wondering why I don't have a hike to share!!

Or, these days... the fuel expense jar is finally full and you can afford to go!! :eek:

You dug up Uncle Freddie's bones from the backyard for the third time in one week.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
When I get to where day-dreaming just won't sustain me anymore(about 4 weeks after last trip).

Then- I have to pick a weekend when I'll go (within another 4 weeks or so).

Then, to help kill those 4 weeks, I daydream about all the different hikes I might do. I now can be found in a dazed state with a map open before me.
At least now, I have a date in mind.

Then I finally pick the hike and agonize over every detail for the last week, until I'm ready to pop with excitement when "go day" finally gets here.

It's tough being a hiking addict but I don't see any real bad down-side. Yet !

You know it has been to long since you last hiked...

...when thought of romping around hill and dale becomes strangely arousing. :eek: :eek: